#1 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

This is my first attempt at posting with pictures so here goes:

I mostly enjoy building rather than racing slot cars, especially IRRA Retro and Vintage style cars.  This is one I recently finished.  I asked Eldon Adams, better known as Gene/ZR1 here, if he would do up one of his beautiful Thingie bodies for me.  Gene vac formed one of his "P" bodies and then gave it one of his easily recognizable ZR1 paint and detail jobs.  He also mounted the body for me as I'm not very good at it.  The body is really spectacular and looks, if you can believe it, better in person than in these pictures.

P1020245.JPG

P1020246.JPG

For the motor I turned to John Havlicek to re-do one of my all time favorite motors - the Champion 617.  The solid bottom and opened up off-end is just plain sexy.  John wound a 42/28 arm for it along with all his usual upgrades like spring post protectors.

For the chassis I made an anglewinder jaildoor style.  Windowed the drop arm, drilled out the fronts to look like the real Riggens on the rear.  Geared it up with a Cox spur and a brass pinion.  And a Jet flag finishes it off.

P1020247.JPG

P1020248.JPG

Thanks for looking.....

• mjsh, slotbaker, Jencar17 and 12 others like this

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#2 Dan

Dan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

This is my first attempt at posting with pictures so here goes:

I mostly enjoy building rather than racing slot cars, especially IRRA Retro and Vintage style cars.  This is one I recently finished.  I asked Eldon Adams, better known as Gene/ZR1 here, if he would do up one of his beautiful Thingie bodies for me.  Gene vac formed one of his "P" bodies and then gave it one of his easily recognizable ZR1 paint and detail jobs.  He also mounted the body for me as I'm not very good at it.  The body is really spectacular and looks, if you can believe it, better in person than in these pictures.

attachicon.gifP1020245.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020246.JPG

For the motor I turned to John Havlicek to re-do one of my all time favorite motors - the Champion 617.  The solid bottom side and opened up off-end is just plain sexy.  John wound a 42/28 arm for it along with all his usual upgrades like spring post protectors.

For the chassis I made an anglewinder jaildoor style.  Windowed the drop arm, drilled out the fronts to look like the real Riggens on the rear.  Geared it up with a Cox spur and a brass pinion.  And a Jet flag finishes it off.

attachicon.gifP1020247.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020248.JPG

Thanks for looking.....

Having seen this car Wed. night, the pictures don't do it justice! Don's workmanship is second to none. So is the work of Gene ZR1 and John Havlicek. Don did drive one lap just to say it runs.
Dan Parker
Dan Parker

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

Don, you have a very fine looking period car there. Congratulations! I particularly like the chassis you built. In the photos if appears to have a nice patina. Do you have a way for adding that look other than aging? :)

Bill Fernald

I heard they weren't going to make yardsticks any longer.

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,570 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

Awesome! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Paul Wolcott

#5 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:19 PM

Don,

I noticed right away that your chassis design is reminiscent of some of John Wessels work:

Wessels3.jpg

One main rail runs from the rear axle to the front axle.  No motor box and no half-rails (partial rails that run from the rear axle to the mid-point of the chassis).  And on this chassis John is using a Champion motor as well!

26D anglewinders are rare, but this one looks right at home under that distinctive Eldon Adams body.  And it's hard to go wrong with H-Power, too!  ^_^

Nice work on the chassis design and construction; looking forward to seeing some more.  :good:

• Jencar17 likes this

#6 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

Bill,

I didn't retumble it before I assembled it for the final time so there is some natural patina.  Probably more from the lack of good lighting though.  Like I said it is the first time I have made a post with pictures!  I noticed it too so I'll pay more attention to the lighting/shadows next time.  Glad you liked the build.

Don

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

Electric Dreams Online Shop