3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

While using a legit website to find some technical info I received a new Safari window that locked out the browser and then a voice tells me I have all sorts of viruses, worms, and other computer alements and that I need to call the number above. It goes on to say they (Apple was supposively the source of this bulletin) would lock me out of the internet if I didn't call.

What was truly bizarre is I couldn't quit out of Safari normally but had to use Force Quit. After a relaunch of Safari the popup immediately locked Safari again with the same message. Hmmm... so I attempted to shut the machine down and that was locked out..... nothing beats the power switch... anyways, after the reboot everything's OK and there's no sign of the popup in any history, log, or cache.

Be careful out there! Even on legitimate websites you can be targeted.

It looks like this is originally a PC thing as there are posts regarding the removal of the 855-700-9110 scam and nothing about it affecting Macs...

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#2 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

Phil,

I've been using Malwarebytes for some years (you did not mention whether or not you have anything like this right now), and have had NO problems at all.  I also use ad-blockers and have disabled "Active-X" controls because malware can and does hide in ads that play automatically.

I got hit by some ransome-ware about two or three years ago and immediately shut down the computer, but it was too late.  So I restarted in "safe-mode" and went looking on the Inter-web for anything that could help.  I found Malwarebytes, which promised to kill the ransome-ware for free.  It did, quicker than Raid kills cockroaches.

So I downloaded the whole enchelada and bought a lifetime subscription.  It updates regularly and has stopped cold many attempts to invade my computers (all laptops).

Apologies if this sounds like a plug for Malwarebytes - it's just that I am a happy customer.  :D

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

#3 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

I have the Mac locked down with an administrative password. Nothing can be installed without my express authorization. I believe this popup was only affecting Safari because Firefox had no trouble. It was a cache thingie... when I shut the machine off the caches get cleared.

(added after posting this response)... Another thing I do, although it's not on a regular basis, is to clear the cookies stored. I kill eveything that isn't involved with websites I regularly go to. I just now cleared about 800 cookies (which also include other data) and there were many, many, many websites/cookies I never had anything to do with. Now there's only 57 cookies stored. None of this may have anything to do with the popup locking the machine but it does clean out stuff I can't identify or websites briefly visited. No need to keep the tracking of my internet usage up to date!

If more problems occur I'll post it here...

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#4 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

I usually clear all my website data at least once a week (Safari 11.1).

Right now is the first time in a long time that I've logged in to Slotblog, and haven't had to fend off the virtually indestructible Mackeeper promo.

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

Electric Dreams Online Shop