• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DavidR

DavidR

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Looking for cheap magnet zapper to play with.

David Rodgers

#2 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

David,

if you are looking for something to play around with try buying the highest grade of NeoDymium magnets in arc shape. I have had excellent results not only charging un-charged Samarium Cobalts but actually reversing neo's in the FK motors. All for around $75 bucks and no capacitors or plug in to worry about. I still need to fabricate a cased unit to hide the interanals but it does work.

Jesse Gonzales

• Slot-Racer likes this

#3 Slot-Racer

Slot-Racer

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Which way are you positioning the magnets to charge them?

Mario Damis

#4 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

I have the positive and negative arcs facing each other with a gap that can be adjusted via fine thread bolts, when I push in the can it grabs to one side or the other then I tighten it so both arcs just come up to the can. it only takes a bit of time before you get a charge. I use a polarity tester to determine which way to insert the can.

Jesse

#5 jokar124

jokar124

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

Jesse, any chance you can show us a picture of your setup for this procedure? And where can you buy the neo magnets?

Jo Salvaterra

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:00 AM

Looking for cheap magnet zapper to play with.

The Rgeo "Magblaster" is a good unit for a very good price...if you can find them.  I've used mine for years with no problems, and it will fully reverse and charge ceramics, but won't do anything (good) to neos or cobalts.

John Havlicek

#7 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

http://slotblog.net/...red-magnetizer/

I agree with John about the Magblaster BUT.... they are hard to find and don't do anything to SmCo mags. I;ve got so many irons in the fire right now but will post photos of mine when cased all nice & pretty.

Jesse

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

http://slotblog.net/...red-magnetizer/

I agree with John about the Magblaster BUT.... they are hard to find and don't do anything to SmCo mags. I;ve got so many irons in the fire right now but will post photos of mine when cased all nice & pretty.

Jesse

Hi Jessie.  I assumed the OP was talking about zapping ceramics when he mentioned "cheap".  I'd be very surprised if you could charge cobalts by putting them in contact with charged rare earth magnets either if that's what you're saying???   I've messed-around with "freshening-up" ceramics using the strongest neos (*although not reversing them), and it seemed as though they did something, so you may be onto something.

I even "inlet" a pair of solid neos in a pair of FT36D magnets by cutting recesses into them (*a really difficult and messy process), and the posting about it is buried somewhere in the two "Arm Winding" threads here.  The result was like a sort-of permanent version of your method and it REALLY woke-up that old motor.  Even better, the old Mabuchi magnets don't take kindly to regular zapping, and even if they did, at full charge they're weak.

***Anyway, aside from much bulkier and very costly zappers, I haven't seen anything like Rick's "Magblaster" on the market, and that's a shame.  The only drawback is that the size of the well sort of limits (*only a little) what magnets you can zap in the can.  Maybe there are plans on YouTube or something for making a DIY zapper like Rick's.

John Havlicek

#9 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

John, I looked for plans to build a portable unit like the one sold in the past by The Big O and Richard Benardo but could not find something I liked. The really strong Neos will in fact charge a dead chunk of SmCo but I could not tell you to what level as I have not built a magnet field strength tester.

I have thought of doing the magnet in a magnet thing but dismissed it as too much work for no use other than to do it and put it on the shelf. I have also looked at buying 1/8"x1/8" Neo strips to make magnet motor arcs in segments for 36D's but with no place to race and no one that I know would want to play with except maybe a drag racer.

I've heard of some new magnet material from the eastern Europe people that is unable to be saturated by the Wrightway SmCo unit so there may be need of those non-portable units that can kill if not handled properly. Being as how I didn't want to fool around with caps and all that go with it I went with the solid chunks of Neos, the danger there is having a ceramic mag come at you off the bench.

Jesse Gonzales

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Hi Jessie,

I don't think, based on the little experimenting I did,  (*but I may be wrong) that even ceramics can be fully charged and/or reversed by putting neos or cobalts next to them.  I was careful to try and get the arcs as closely the same as I could, but that's about as far as I went.  Fully charging cobalts or neos that way seems unlikely...but hey...you never know!  :)

-john

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop