• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jtipps

jtipps

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:38 PM

I was racing last weekend and noticed my cars just weren't as fast as usual. After the race was over, I tried my backup controller (an old 9 band Ruddock that's over 30 years old) and my cars ran about .2 of a second faster, and they even sounded better on the straightaway. My current controller is an 18 band controller, about 3 years old. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I can hear the relay clicking on full throttle, and I always thought the controller was bypassed when the relay is activated. Could I possibly have a bad contact on the relay, or could it be something else?......any help I can get here is greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance!!
John Tipps

#2 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:28 AM

John Anderson is the DR owner and builder http://drracingproducts.com/ you won't find a better person to work with. He's a Pro from the "Golden" age of racing and a quality person.

Jesse Gonzales

• jtipps likes this

#3 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:51 AM

Sounds like your on the right track.  I built one with a blast relay that can be turned off & depending on the class / car I loose a few tenths when off & car is just lazy.

#4 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Try some 600c emery paper to clean up the contacts on brake and "full throttle" positions. Also clean the band where your trigger contact passes over. Maybe you already do this, just a thought.

Tom Eatherly

#5 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

John, do not use sand paper on the wiper array. Use an eraser and clean the copper with it. I use V-teck oil and it will help clean up the copper as you move the wiper arm over it.

Check your alligator clips and make sure the lead wires are not broken. I have seen leads that only had two or three strands left, that will limit the current that can pass thru the wires.

John Andersen

• triggerman, Tom Eatherly and Roy Lievanos like this

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#6 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Racers, just because I am not building controllers due to various reasons, doesn't mean I can't answer questions. I get calls and emails and I am happy to help.

Just send me an email.

John Andersen

• glueside, Roy Lievanos and Jesse Gonzales like this

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#7 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

John is correct, of course, about no sand paper on wiper array. I wasn't clear on that. I use the same method John spoke of.

Hope it works for you.

Tom Eatherly

#8 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

Just so you don't go looking for VTech oil on the web like I did Chuck Vaughn a racer at BPR is the man behind the VTech oil John suggests. I believe John said it was available from BPR.

Jesse Gonzales

• Rob Voska likes this

#9 jtipps

jtipps

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I did find the white wire had a few strands shredded at the clip, I fixed it at the track and it didn't help. I did some cleaning of everything inside the handle as I found some contamination between some of the connections, that didn't seem to help either. Don't worry, I would NEVER take sandpaper to the contacts or the traces on the board. My brother has a controller tester that I built to simulate connecting to the track. I just need to get off my lazy behind and make a trip over there; hopefully I'll be able to simulate the problem there. I'll let you all know when I get it fixed and what the solution was......thanks again!!
John Tipps

#10 jtipps

jtipps

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:43 PM

Racers, just because I am not building controllers due to various reasons, doesn't mean I can't answer questions. I get calls and emails and I am happy to help.

Just send me an email.

John Andersen

Thanks John, I appreciate your interest in helping me. I really enjoy trying to fix things like this, but if I can't find the problem myself, I will definitely hit you up with an email or two.....thanks again!
John Tipps

#11 jtipps

jtipps

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

Well I think I got her fixed. I found some contamination on the full throttle button and its connecting tab; cleaned it up, and it seems to be working fine now....thanks again for all the replies!!!
John Tipps

Electric Dreams Online Shop