don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:04 AM

Does anybody understand this? 

https://www.ebay.com...p2047675.l10137

That's a Testor's "Terror T" box, with a Testor's Honda inside, selling for over $1,000.... is the box that rare? The car certainly isn't... 

One guy really wanted it, but another won in the end, and I wonder if it isn't the LASCM... 

Don 

• Old Pilot likes this

#2 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:58 AM

Yep, LASCM won it...

• Old Pilot likes this

Steve King

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

I guess some people have a lot more "free money" to throw around than I do. :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? :rolleyes:

#4 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

When I first saw this auction, I noticed the box and thought it was probably a hard one to find.  Lots of "T's" around, I've never seen a box before.       The Honda car, $50-$60 maybe?    The box, priceless!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#5 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Problem with having a lot of funds, you tend to buy a lot of things, and then you have to build a place to put it all, lol, a difficult problem, lol
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#6 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

The biggest problem with lots of funds, if that's a problem, is that there is no thrill of finding a neat old toy and appreciating your good luck to have it and hold it in your hands.   You buy anything and everything and the thrill is gone.    Kind of like you send your people out to get it and lose the thrill of the chase.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#7 Martin

Martin

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

So glad there is someone that has the funds and the passion to preserve slot car history. I for one am grateful that there is a museum for us all to share. Looking forward to visiting LASCM when it is ready.

Martin Windmill

#8 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

My post wasn't meant toward LASCM or Scott in any way.   He has stuff there that I found and I am glad he has it.   My comment was only meant to express how finding slot cars and buying them has been rewarding for me the last 35-40 years.    

Years ago a guy in St Louis that many of you know used to come thru town on his way home from toy shows in the east and south east.  He always called me and we would get together for lunch  on his way home and he would always bring me something.   You never questioned him about what he had, you just paid the price and then you opened the box.   The greatest surprise I ever got from him was a $100 box.    I opened it up and it was a decent Gurney Ford  that he picked up at the show and then brought to me.   I still have that Gurney and it was my first.   What a thrill to get  a really collectable car as a surprise  like that.   Since then I have had 8-10 other Gurneys but  finding them never equaled the thrill of the first one.  Last week one of the local guys bought a box with 3 cars in it at an auction.  $10 and one was a Gurney!    Years ago, I would have tried to buy or trade for it, now it makes no difference and I am just happy for the thrill the other guy got when he saw what he actually had!  

That guy in St L was one of the best guys in the slot car collecting hobby.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#9 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,491 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Slot cars are like houses - they are worth exactly what the market is willing to pay for them.

(I know Bill from NH disagrees with me)

Is a 1K sq. ft. bungalow beach house in SOCAL worth 2 mil? It sure is, if somebody buys it for that price.

A guy can buy it and flip it in a couple years for 3 mil.

A thousand dollars is nothing but a piece of dust, gained or lost minute by minute.

Precious slot cars from the golden era will appreciate, not depreciate.

• C. J. Bupgoo likes this
Paul Wolcott

#10 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,172 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

A thousand dollars is nothing but a piece of dust to a miillionaire, gained or lost minute by minute.

Precious slot cars from the golden era will appreciate, not depreciate.

If someone want's to spend $!,000.00 on a box, I'll let him. :laugh2:  But don't expect me to follow his lead. :)

I'm going to live maybe another 10-15 years, how much concern do you think I have for precious toys? I never saw a hearse going down a highway trailed by a Brinks truck.

That $50 BIC pen of mine is still for sale. :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

#11 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

I think it would be interesting in 20 years what has/will become of the LASCM.   Not criticizing, just wondering  what the future will bring.   Most of us will be 85-100 years old by then and probably will not want to make the trip to LA to visit  these great old kits.     Is there  a reasonable number of slotters that are 30-50 years old and may  make the trek to LA and be into collecting 1960's 1/24 cars??.

As to auctions and what items are worth.   I remember a guy from Tx calling me the day after he paid over $12K for a mag frame 2E kit on Ebay.  He bought a MIB kit and thought he had made a great investment.  I had a loose kit that he wanted to buy so he could have a new built up model to display.   He went on and on about how much that kit was worth and what a great  investment it was.  In checking the previous bids, which you could do at that time, there were only 2 bidders that went over $8k, him and another bidder in Japan.   Common sense says there were only 2 guys in the world that thought the kit was worth more than $8K.   The winner thought it was worth more than one other guy, that doesn't sound like much of an investment.  Today that kit may be worth $3500.

I always say buy slot cars for fun and as a hobby, never think it is your retirement,.   

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:49 PM

"Is there a reasonable number of slotters that are 30-50 years old and may make the trek to LA and be into collecting 1960's 1/24 cars??."

I don't think that matters.

It on his premises.

Attendance isn't a factor on it existing.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#13 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:59 AM

Interesting - I've never been a collector.  I have perhaps 10-12 models that are on the "keep" shelf, for sentimental value, like the Pittman powered Merit Vandal that I built 50 years ago and one or two scratch builds that distinguished themselves on the track. Aside from my current racing program, the rest are going up for sale (I don't have that many laps to go)

I looked at the subject auction - my reaction? Not a very good model - wouldn't give it shelf space.  I think the LASCM effort is great - my two original prototype Pittman motors are there and I may even visit someday but for me - not my direction.

EM

Alan Schwartz

#14 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,491 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:22 AM

I always say buy slot cars for fun and as a hobby, never think it is your retirement,.   

The winner of that auction is probably already "retired" financially.

In other words, "financially independent."

• Mattb likes this
Paul Wolcott

#15 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,172 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:25 AM

If you read Slotforum, PdL is shedding some light there that the winner might not have been the LASCM. Somebody sniped it with five seconds left in the auction. I wonder when somebody will start making reproduction Testor boxes? :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

Electric Dreams Online Shop