7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

I have been informed that the July 14 race at Raytown is cancelled due to the closure of the raceway.

I am totally blindsided by this. I believe the owners are, too.

Let's hope the tracks wind up in a good location where we can pick up where we are forced to leave off.

My apologies to everyone for starting something that won't bear fruit the way we had hoped.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#2 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

What a shame!

Richard, you did good.

Hope your racing finds a new home.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#3 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

For us in Wichita, there's always Dallas and Colorado.

But I feel bad about the guys who built and purchased new equipment and were highly enthusiastic about starting Retro.

We had no lack of support from the racing community at Raytown.

There is some hints of new raceway activity coming to Wichita but that's the future.

Right now, I am mourning the loss of a lot of hard work by many folks to bring Retro to Raytown.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Really sad to see another raceway closure! I hope they can rescue the tracks and get them going again!! 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

Sorry to hear that. If I was a raceway owner and a race was cancelled due to the raceway closing down, and was blindsided, I'd really be bummed out.

Paul Wolcott

#6 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

As I posted elsewhere, judging by the orientation event we had in May, we would have had upwards of 12 Retro Can-Am cars for the first race.

The guys were very enthusiastic and had well-built and prepared cars. Some had invested in "foreign" equipment that I really wanted to run against.

Although the road racing program at Raytown was anemic, I believe the advent of Retro there would have revived activity on the King track. We could have quickly progressed to a full day Retro-only program with three classes if the owners had fully committed. And we had interest from IA, CO, and NE. Others from OK and TX might have joined in the future. So we would have covered MO, KS, possibly IA and NE. and since we were using IRRA® rules it could have attracted other Midwest racers.

If you think I'm overly optimistic, check out the Dallas Slot Cars Facebook page. They have weekly races on the flat track for a variety of car types. The monthly Retro day sees as many as 50 cars over three classes including the supposedly "too fast" Retro Anglewinders with Big Dog motors which we race without chokes and have a blast. In addition to Dallas area entries they have guys from Houston (almost a whole state away), Oklahoma, and Kansas. They keep a full stock of parts for everything that's raced and run a very healthy drag racing program too. They recently had a similar rent issue and, though they had to close in a short period of time, they stayed committed to their business, took a hiatus to move and are now about to re-open in a better location!

Sorry about the rant, but I really believe in Retro and think it ought to be part of more locations. Arkansas for instance has several possible locations. I may have to start "agitating" them.

• Cheater, tonyp, Tim Neja and 1 other like this

#7 Mark Crowley

Mark Crowley

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Yes it is sad that RIR is closing but I am thankful that it provided me a place to race as long as it was open.  I wish all the best to the owners Terry and Teresa who can now fully retire.

RIR was primarily a drag slot car business so I can imagine someone may consider buying the drag track and trying to open a new business.  The road race tracks, king and oval took up too much space with very little use.

I can only say:  Support your local track.  It is hard to race slotcars without one.  The last opportunity to support RUR will be to help the owners disassemble the tracks.  I am sure it will not be as much fun as assembling the tracks many years ago.

Mark

• Richard G With likes this

#8 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:31 AM

Yea Mark Bad News....We a need a . local group of home tracks, I can build em for the cost of materials , to create a club circuit...
Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

Electric Dreams Online Shop