• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

OK....a lot to cover here! This weekend, (7-15-18) our meet will be at FTH in Rocklin. Expect it to be hot (it always is) and so the tracks will change as we go through the day. Remember, this is a full "switchup" race where all cars will be running on the opposite tracks as normal. Both tracks have been cleaned within the last week. Thanks go out to Randy Keil and Cliff Gaither for getting this done!!!!

Race schedule:

Doors open at 10AM (sign up and pay for all day track pass when you walk in the door) or use your track card as needed.

• Formula -1 on the Angel; 12:00 WITH RETRO HAWK CLASS MOTORS. All other normal rules apply
  • Can Am on the Yellow Dragon flat track. All normal rules apply.
  • Stock Cars on the Dragon. All normal rules apply.

Car Setups:

Formula-1: This is a new car but is the one that I expect to run. Weight will be about 106 gr and will start out with the weights in position #1. The other positions will be tried as needed. Expect that your F-1 will run within about 1/10th sec. of whatever your Can Am would normally do. Other stuff................

• Motor: I will start with an old TSR motor geared at 9-28. If it feels like the car can take more power, I'll try a Retro Hawk with 9-29 or 8-27.
  • Tires: Prob more key than your motor. I will start with JK 8713 and adjust to smaller or larger hubs if needed.
  • Bodies: Won't matter but I'll probably run the Matra.

2-20180710_174447.jpg

Can Am: This is the same chassis that I ran at Motown but with a change in the pan/weighting setup. As you can see, I'm not shy about using weight and I don't use little 1/4" squares of it either.

• Weight as shown here will be 114 gr. and I wouldn't be surprised if I go heavier.
  • Motor here is a RH @ 7-27. So far this is good but I have a TSR @ 8-27 ready to try.
  • I won't be at all surprised if the TSR turns out to be the better race motor.
  • Tires, I'm starting with Alpha Big Full but won't be surprised if I change to JK 8703 or Alpha reg/full.
  • Bodies: don't seem to matter much but I have a Parma Lola T-163 ready to go so will prob use that.

1-20180710_174510.jpg

Stock Car: I will be running the same car and setup that I ran at Motown (with a new guide of course........... :dash2: )

• Weight will be about 140 gr.
  • Motor will be a Mini Brute @ 7-27 or 8-29
  • Tires will probably be JK 8713 narrowed a bit.
  • Bodies: Again, don't matter much. I have a Cyclone on the race car and a Charger on the backup.

Driving the Yellow Dragon: I realize that everyone already knows how to drive this track but here are a few spots to watch out for.

• Turns 1/2: Simple 90* turns, ez to manage.
  • Turn 3: Not a simple 90* and the setup for sweeper #1 and turn 5. Don't drive this like a 90* b/c it's not. If you punch too early, you'll be off at the starred area (***)
  • Sweeper #1 (turn 4): You can take this punched but it's all uphill to the entry of 5. If you're too aggressive on exit of #3 or coming up the hill, your car will unsettle where it flattens out for the entry of #5. You'll either lift out at the starred area in the middle of the sweeper or be shakey into #5 and lift out midway through #5.
  • Turn 6: Simple 120* at beginning but starts to fall away at the end. Can't exit super hot.
  • Turn 7: Simple 120* but a fallaway and very easy to tip out at the indicated area.
  • Donut (turn #8): Not a simple donut. This donut has a bit of a dip in about the middle and changes from a slight dish to flat on exit. Come out straight so you can hit the sweeper all settled down.
  • Sweeper #2 (Turn #9) Easy enough if you come out of the donut straight. This sweeper is a decreasing radius as it approaches the leadon (#10) If you are too hard on it going into the sweeper, you may survive it only to be unsettled going into (#10)
  • Turn 10: The leadon can be driven very hard from about green out to red. The inner lanes cannot be driven quite as hard and especially true on Purple and Black. Visiblity on this turn is tough on P&B and you need to work on your timing.

1-dragon 004.JPG

• Half Fast, Tim Neja and Richard Matthews like this
Jim Fowler

#2 Richard Matthews

Richard Matthews

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:29 PM

I have a lot of work to do

• JimF likes this

#3 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

Looks like a few blind spots on some lanes, nice looking track though. Maybe make it there some day.  Thanks Jim for the layout of track. Nice looking Chassis.

Tim

• JimF and Richard Matthews like this

#4 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Tim. Yes there are some blind spots but mostly just on Black and Purple in the sweeper #2 > turn #10 combo. Although I noted 10 distinct turns there are actually more direction changes than that so your car is really changing direction most of the time. Keeping it settled down is very important here.

• Richard Matthews likes this
Jim Fowler

#5 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'm just a bystander here but finding a lot of useful information.

You didn't mention braid depth settings. I usually start with a known depth on my Ultimate set up block. Do you consider braid depth important, or not?

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#6 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

I'm just a bystander here but finding a lot of useful information.

You didn't mention braid depth settings. I usually start with a known depth on my Ultimate set up block. Do you consider braid depth important, or not?

Hi Richard:

Of course braid depth settings are important for any slot car. I've never mentioned that in setup articles, I guess b/c I've thought it is sort of a given but perhaps I'm wrong on that. IAC, I'll set up a car on my ultimate block but then check it when I get to the track. The braid depth in NorCal is relatively deep everywhere and I'll use the .035 slot for the flat track pictured above and the .030 slot for the other track at FTH.

Jim Fowler

#7 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Jim!

Always happy to learn from a master.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#8 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Update.................I ran all classes of cars yesterday (Thursday) at FTH. The Purple Angel is fresh and for me, was a little bite challenged in the sweeper coming toward the drivers panel. I think that'll change as it gets run.

F-1: I started as shown above with the weight at the rear and JK8713 PP.  Eventually, I added a little more weight to location #2. The Retro Hawk @ 9-29 was a good choice although I tested one @ 8-27 and that was good too. I may just go with 8-27. I thought that the F-1 should run about as fast as my usual Can Am times but it didn't quite get there. Maybe I overestimated what the potential is or maybe I'm just a little slow...... :wacko2:

Can Am: The car above was best with a TSR @ 8-27 and JK 8703PP tires. A sister car to this that is a little heavier, turned the fastest times of the day with a RH @ 7-27 also 8703PP but it was a bit tougher to drive. When I got home from the track last night, I wound up a choke and that may tone down the second car enough to make it the race choice.

Stock Car: The stocker was good as it was set up with the JK Mini Brute @ 7-27. I did get a little chatter when cornering really hard and I tried some JK 8763 tires which helped a lot with the chatter but made the car a bit loose. I wanted to test some JK 8783's but didn't have any b/c it's a tire I seldom use. I bought a couple pr. just in case. It was a little slow but it stayed on well and I'll probably leave it alone. I think the choke will help this car out as well.

I have requests for some loaners so will be setting those up today along with doing the finals on my cars. I'll be there at FTH most of Saturday so if you're looking for  a little help, I'll be there.

Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop