• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

This body was being offered for sale in a group but this was the only one that caught my eye. Nobody bid so then the seller offered them individually, and I was the only bidder that took a fancy to this oddball. I liked the fade for some reason and have a connection to the Huffaker Genie of which this is Revell's interpretation. So I bid the $15 and got it.

While taking a closer look I noticed the sticker on the underside which I could just make out as 'Kustoms by Kovacs.'

I am not that familiar with his early work. Could this be an example?

s-l1600.jpg

100_1417 (1).JPG

s-l1600.jpg

• Tex and C. J. Bupgoo like this
Martin Windmill

#2 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

Good catch, Martin.

Matt Bishop

#3 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

It got a bit damaged from the tire treatment being thrown from the rear tires. So I plan to do some graphics to cover that area (not sure what)? Now what to do for running gear? 

Martin Windmill

#4 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

I'd clean it up,not paint anything and put it on a Revell Spacesaver chassis like the original came on/with.   Some of those Revell Genies were sold with un-painted bodies, so it could have been one of those kits..

• Pete L. likes this

Matt Bishop

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Martin,

Brian "Bob" Kovacs (who passed away last year) was the West Coast top slot car body painter. Inspired by "von Dutch," Bob Kovacs painted cars, bikes, skateboards, tool boxes, and... slot car bodies. Lots of them. He painted the production bodies for the International Engineering RTR cars such as the famous "Tijuana Taxi" as an example.

When the pro racing seriously began in 1967, he became the #1 painter for virtually all the SoCal and NorCal pro racers, painting thousands of bodies in a period of six years or so.

The body you have is pretty standard fare for Kovacs, likely for a retailer to sell more product. The more intricate ones he painted can be amazing in their fine detail.

The corresponding painter on the East Coast was the late Dave Bloom.

Each had their own style, and the work of each is unmistakable, like that of all great artists.

Here is an example of his style, the slot car box of the late Gene Husting, an important figure in the history of pro racing in the United States:

P1160377.JPG

This is one of his great bodies, painted for Bruce Paschal, the "Godfather" of American professional racing. Check the fine detail.

40008_2.jpg

40008_5.jpg

40008_7.jpg

Fortunately, many of his bodies survived, and all the bodies for "production" bear the "Kustoms by Kovacs" label, such as the one you found.

• Cheater, Tex and Pete L. like this

Philippe de Lespinay

#6 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:15 PM

Thanks, Matt, for your input, Never thought much of the Revell space saver chassis. Never knew that's what it was called. The holes in the body are 1.75" apart; do you have one to check that?

It's this one, correct?

Thanks, P, for the history, So sorry to hear that Bob passed, another great, lost. If and when you have time please post some more of the bodies he painted here. I am sure we can all be inspired by his talent. His memory will live on.

I bet you are correct about the eye candy to sell product; it caught my eye. I feel like that kid looking up at that body hanging behind the counter at the local slot car raceway.

d1eb66868d5ed7eaf96db25bdf24518a.jpg

Martin Windmill

#7 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

The corresponding painter on the East Coast was the late Dave Bloom.

Of minor note, while Dave Bloom certainly supplied quite a few top East Coast pros with painted bodies, he, of course, was from just outside of Chicago, in Cicero, IL.

IIRC, in 1968, at the first Hinsdale Manufacturer race, in the Pro Main, which seemed to be all drivers from East of the Mississippi, six ran Bloom painted bodies, and the other two, including Howie Ursaner, ran painted bodies from a teenager, Joe Neumeister.

• Pete L. and chaparrAL like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#8 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the input, Mike.This thread certainly has taken a 'Pro' turn and I thought about starting it in the Pro vintage category but my body, I feel was aimed at the armateur driver and this category seemed less busy.

But I love to here about and see samples of pro paint from the past.

• Pete L. likes this
Martin Windmill

#9 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

Martin,

If you missed it, this thread, from seven years ago, has a nice sample of Dave Bloom paint jobs.

Tom Wisvader collection
  • Pete L. likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

I of course did not forget Joe, but he was a budding talent then and is in full force in his art today.  :)

Here are more samples of Dave Bloom's artistry as well as a car painted by Kovacs in the background, and one by "Sundance" Coates on the right.

bloom_kovacs.jpg

The blue car is a replica.

• Pete L. likes this

Philippe de Lespinay

#11 Flathead

Flathead

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

Nice score Martin. Brass Revell chassis is called "spaceframe sidewinder chassis" but body mounting holes are spaced at 1 3/8" centres. The later aluminium asymmetric revell chassis has body mounting holes at 1 3/4" spacing.
Hope this helps Lee.
Lee Welch
Wanted; Dynamic Chaparral wheels

#12 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

Yes that helps Lee, thank you. I do not have the Space frame to measure but I had measured  the 1- 3/4" body mounts on the asymmetric Revell chassis. Got a couple of those.

Probably put the body on shelf for a while, I am thinking it deserves a Kustom  chassis. I started a drawing, but that's as far as got. Dam work. :dash2:

Martin Windmill

Electric Dreams Online Shop