4 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

This event was held at Bill Pinch's Raceway.biz facility in Melbourne, FL, on July 21.

Let's start with the pre-race celebration - Terry Tawney's 70th birthday! If there's a nicer guy in all of slot racing, I don't know who it would be. The GRRR guys brought him a great chocolate cake and here Terry is cutting the first piece.

terry.cake.jpg

Terry and I were talking to try to figure out when we first raced against each other and our best guess is early '90s, maybe around 1993 or so. That's 25 years!

The eight teams running in the enduro were:

Team T-M-L:  Matt Boman, Louis Satterlee, Terry Tawney,
Team Evil Bucks:  Grant Goerner, TonyP, Danny Zona
Team SERRA:  Taylor Davis, Jay Guard, Greg Wells 
Team Paw Braid:  Ed Bauer, Don Bonanno, Jeff Bonanno
Team BRT:  Brian Ambrose, Tracey Dickenson, Roger Whobrey
Team Mellow Yellow:  Ed Hoffman, Donny Caron, Shaun Naughton
Team DMRB:  Doc DoughertyRalph Josey, Marcus Ramos, Bob Rondinone

Team J.A.R:  Mike Bresett, Kyle Hall, Aaron Rothstein

Couple of team notes...

There was another racer who was scheduled to run as a member of Team DMRB but he had a last-minute conflict and was unable to make it; Ralph Josey took his place. Bob Rondinone was race director for most of the enduro but wanted to run a heat, so Team DMRB accommodated his wishes and trackowner Bill Pinch rode the spacebar when Bob raced. 

Nice to see two other raceway owners running in the GRR 4-hour enduro: Ed Hoffman, who runs Fast Eddie's Slot Cars & Raceway in Pinellas Park, FL, and Marcus Ramos, owner of P1 Lot Car Raceway in Winter Garden, FL.

No one ever qualifies for enduros and that was the case here. Lane choice was made somehow, probably by draw, but I wasn't paying attention so I am not sure.

Here's how the racers lined up for the first of sixteen(!) 15-minute stints.

startpanel.jpg

L-R, Ed Hoffman, Grant Goerner, Terry Tawney, Jay Guard, Brian Ambrose, Jeff Bonnano, Marcus Ramos, Mike 'Biscuit' Bresett.

Here is the starting line crowd just moments before power on:

startingline.jpg

Trackowner Bill Pinch was tapped to vote concours and the cars' positions below indicate his first through third choices. Bill then did something I've never heard in all my years of watching concours be selected: he explained his criteria for making his choices.

concours.jpg

The concours winners were:

First - Team Paw
Second - Team J.A.R.
Third: Team SERRA

After four hours and sixteen heats of racing, here are the final results:

1) Team J.A.R - 2,846 laps

2) Team Evil Bucks - 2,786

3) Team T-M-L - 2,762

4) Team Paw Braid - 2,694

5) Team DMRB - 2,692

6) Team SERRA - 2,674

7) Team BRT - 2,669

8) Team Mellow Yellow - 2,573

Not listing the normal 'best lap time in which lane' info, as there were a number of best lap times that were clearly riders, of which there were quite a few during this long race.

Grant Goerner, GRRR race reporter extraordinaire, emailed me a PDF of the heat-by-heat printouts from the SRT lap counting system and it is attached to the bottom of this thread, if anyone is crazy enough to want to see how the enduro progressed in detail.

I am not aware of anyone 'blowing' one of the Hawk Retros. Team SERRA changed a motor because it had slowed a bit after a couple-three heats, but the number of walls it had experienced by that time may have had something to do with the situation. I did hear one racer warning a teammate that their motor's brakes had dropped off in one particular lane, but that was about it.

My digicam's battery went south on me before I could get all the podium shots I had hoped to take. There were others present who took the pics I missed and if they can email those to me, I'll add them to this thread.

first.jpg

Team J.A.R:  Kyle Hall, Mike Bresett, Aaron Rothstein

second.jpg

Team Evil Bucks:  Grant Goerner, TonyP, Danny Zona

Great, fun day of racing, even if my teammates worn me out about being so 'old n' slo' (apologies to Ray Gardner.) At least I kept it in the slot better than one of my partners in crime! LOL...

A word about Bill Pinch, who has been a raceway owner for over 35 years. I'd term his operation the prototype or poster child for a sustainable slot car raceway operated by a someone who clearly knows how to run a business. If you're in the area, don't miss paying Raceway.biz a visit. 

Attached File  GRRR Enduro Heat Breakdown.pdf   738.48KB   52 downloads

• NJ Racer, Grant G., DOCinCocoa and 5 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Grant G.

Grant G.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the report, Greg! 

Big thanks to Doc Dougherty for all the hard work he put in organizing this event. 

For more photos of cars, people, and the event please visit this LINK.

• Cheater and Twisted Metal like this

Grant Goerner

#3 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

Greg, great report. And thank you for coming down to Florida and racing with us.

In fact, our team changed motors during the 10th heat when I was running on red. On both motors, especially the second one, the motor brushes are gone. I am surprised that any team was able to run the entire race on one motor, but apparently, about five teams did just that.

• Cheater likes this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#4 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

We ran one motor. There is about 20 percent left on each side. Ran ice cold the whole race. Just lost a little brakes the last couple of heats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#5 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

Sounds like the 1st GRRR endure was a great race !!!!Nice to hear my old racing partner Bob Rondinone  was able to enjoy some retro racing .

Electric Dreams Online Shop