40 replies to this topic

#26 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

Great to see original shells being offered :D Especially as easy as ordering on ePay or calling the raceway.

Here's a few shots from Roger's Facebook.

FB_IMG_1533142167404.jpg

FB_IMG_1533142171852.jpg

• Pete L. and C. J. Bupgoo like this

#27 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

I don't apologize for bringing this up! The photos I saw were not good representations, therefore they should not have been used.

Pictures are worth a thousand words...!

Look at this Ford J Car... is this enticing to convince you to buy? This is pulled direct from Roger's auction on eBay.
If anyone is going to spend hard earned cash for these, then they should examine what is shown!

Maximo

s-l1600.jpg

• Dallas Racer and miko like this
David Ray Siller
Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingie!

#28 Dale B.

Dale B.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Today, I received a Gran Sport Corvette I ordered a couple days ago from Mid America. It is a clear body and doesn't seem to have any flaws. It is nowhere near as crisp as my original Dubro. This body is described as being from an original mold. It seems obvious it is made from (probably) an outer pour that was used for the vacuum buck. It has no more than half the fine detail of my original. The wipers and small detail like that are pretty weak. It is fine for what I build. It would be hard for guys that build such detailed cars to get the quality they want with this body. This is referring only to the GS Corvette.

If this is pulled from an original mold, it was not done with the best equipment or the mold is about half worn down.

I will get some paint on it and show a comparison to the original Du-Bro I have.

• Maximo likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#29 Dale B.

Dale B.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

Here's the comparison pix of the Mid-America GS Corvette, described as being from the original buck. The original GS is from the '60s. You guys judge how far you think the repro body is removed from an original.

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

• Maximo likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#30 Dale B.

Dale B.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

P1010007.JPG

P1010002.JPG

• Cheater, Maximo and miko like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#31 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

Matt, the body looks good, for $19.99 I'd expect Truescale or PdL perfection. That it doesn't have. Body lines and grille detail are missing. It also appears there are air bubbles in back of the wheel wells. If the molds still have the details, perhaps they should also pull a few bodies in PETG to capture those details. I'm often told that pulling PETG objects is easier that pulling the same in Lexan. Your body is very serviceable rather than a total loss, but I wouldn't want to run $19.99 vac bodies in weekly programs anymore than I would want to run $29.99 model car kits.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#32 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

I wouldn't guess that these two bods came from the same mold at all!  Is it due to a lack of vacuum, or what that so much detail is missing? I'm happy with the purchases that I made, glad they don't look like the GS Vette shown here.

John Stewart

#33 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,034 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

John, who knows? As to what happened to the Vette, your guess is as good as mine. For example, I have a genuine Lancer Ferrari F1 body (the box too) and two repops of it. Each body is different from the other two.

Bill Fernald

#34 Dale B.

Dale B.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

$20 is a bit high for a vac body if it's not really crisp and sharp on the details.  That said, this is a useable body, but no way it came from an original mold.  It shouldn't have been described that way.   

As to the mold. There is an easy way to do it. Just pour silicone outside a body, then make a plug from that mold and you have a copy.    It is a copy of the outside and a vac body has 100% of the detail on the inside. The outside probably has 60-70% of the detail the inside has.   

The only way to make a great buck is to do a silicone mold of the inside of the body. Then use mold release and pour a silicone mold of that inner plug. Then you use the new outer mold to make the buck. That gives you as close a copy as you can get to the original, because your mold is actually of the inside of the body and not the outside.   

You guys have seen Gene and Victor's work and molds. The time they take and attention to detail is what makes those bodies  look like they came from the original molds

It is also possible that the above body was not made on good equipment or by somebody that really didn't know how to do it.

• Maximo likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#35 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,034 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

The Lancer molds Roger posted in post #3 appear crisp and to be well-detailed. Not shown is the Vette mold, which of course is a Du-Bro body, so how its mold looks is unknown to us. My guess is, if that mold is well-detailed, whoever pulled Vettes is still learning how to pull bodies.

I don't recall REHCo selling Du-Bro-type Vette bodies, but I could be wrong. I'll have to check my old price sheets from the late '90's to see if its there.

Bill Fernald

#36 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

I know up until recently Prof Motor were selling repro Dubro GS Vettes but are sold out. No way of knowing if from a backpour or source?

Maybe this was pulled from the original mold and that it's just worn down, or someone didn't pull it right. The only one that probably knows is Roger.

As for $20 being too high for a not totally crisp pull, if that's the "only" source for a GS Vette around (that rare mint condition '60s shell goes for mega bucks on EvilPay) then you're gonna pay the $$ to get the model you want.

The Thingies posted on Facebook look pretty sharp, will have to get a couple, maybe even that Chappy :D (nobody does vacform of this now?)

#37 Dale B.

Dale B.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

I am guessing that the bodies Prof Motor sold were Victors and they would have equaled the Du-Bro originals. Pics of his GS mold are on the net somewhere and I recall it is a three-piece mold and with his experience, he would have made a perfect body.

I think this thread and some prices paid on eBay for bodies show that real quality bodies have a fair market, right now. Possibly this market would get saturated pretty quick if a plentiful supply was available. Who knows? It does seem that bodies will sell at $12-$20 apiece if they are quality.    

Hopefully one of these days Victor can open up again and not give away his bodies at $6, but price them higher so he is the one making money off them and not the guys (raceways) who buy them and then jack up the price and re-sell them.

• Maximo and Gene/ZR1 like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#38 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Upon actually reading the info on the GS shells:

Reproduction vintage Dubro 60's Corvette Grand Sport 1/24 CLEAR body (painted body shown) - 0.040" thick highly detailed PETG plastic - manufactured by TrueScale Products

Sure would be great if Victor could start operations again. So many projects with no shell and nobody pulling the particular models :(
  • Pete L. likes this

#39 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

Mid-America's reproduction LANCER bodies are now touted as "Genuine"!

Since these bodies were NOT produced by and/or at Lancer and are not "vintage", this is an unfair proclamation and is deceptive!

Should be advertised as "New" production using original Lancer molds.

maXimo

• Dale B. likes this
David Ray Siller
Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingie!

#40 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:42 AM

I got a couple from Roger and they were of poor quality also.

#41 Dale B.

Dale B.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:56 PM

See post 29.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

Electric Dreams Online Shop