• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ravajack

ravajack

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:06 AM

As PdL's "definite book" (ten years in the making) seems to linger indefinitely, (Waiting for Godot?, anyone...)  :D , maybe this book can be of some consolation.

Foreword by John Cukras, who is also featured in a long interview in the book. Other interviewees(?) in the book are PdL, Frank "Buzz-A-Rama" Perri, and Maurizio "Slot.it" Ferrari, to mention but a few.

DSCR.jpg

• Tex, eshorer and Tom Eatherly like this
Bertil Berggren
Overseas Observer

#2 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:48 AM

Buy it through Amazon HERE.
  • Cheater likes this

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

Carlo sent me a copy of this to read and I simply haven't been able to get all the way through it yet due to all the traveling I have been doing over the last month or so. And I am headed out again soon, for about a 2,500 mile round trip (though not in the Model A at 47 MPH, thank goodness...).

Look for a detailed review of this new book here at Slotblog soon!

• boxerdog likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Meanwhile, here's my brief review:  

As someone who has attempted to write a book about slot cars (and found that three successful articles/presentations about the subject is an entirely different accomplishment), I cannot praise Carlo Tonalezzi’s “A Day at the Slot Car Races” enough! Sure, it could use another pass or two by a proofreader, and probably benefit from losing a few of the exclamation marks!

But his passion for racing slot cars comes shining through. This overview of the hobby-sport, and his beautiful photography throughout, is exemplary. He’s structured it in such a way to include many important slot car topics, from the history to preparing for a big race. It’s a really good read. And best of all, this self-published second edition is available on Amazon now, and belongs on any serious slot car racer’s shelf.

Eddie

• Cheater and elvis44102 like this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#5 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

My copy arrived earlier this week, have spent some time with it. Definitely worth the investment. Nicely bridges the older slot books (Hertz, Braverman, Schleicher, et al) through Greenslade and PDL's first book, to the present. I claim no expertise on slot car history, but I'm not without some knowledge, and this turned up some things new to me.

Would've benefited from an editor, and I'm always a fan of MORE pics, especially of vintage slots, but all in all a keeper and a good read.

Oh...and if Oscar K. is still around and feels like talking...include an interview with the next reprint.

Todd Brace

#6 mjsh

mjsh

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

Seriously  disappointed.  Didn't expect much but  …. damn.

Michael Shepard

Electric Dreams Online Shop