Photo

What makes a controller worth $900 or more?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 DocSlotCar

DocSlotCar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

With the recent and continuing controversies about the 900.00 plus controllers heating up somewhat. What actually makes these Czech and other controllers worth the money?

Just exactly what does the controller do that the Difalco or Rudduck 300.00 controller does not do?

Anyone?

Chris DaBoer

"Stop whining, Slot Car racing is only big boys racing toys"

#2 Benno - SAC

Benno - SAC

Beyond the Atlantic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

I tried to ask the same question in the recent other thread. I'm still wondering, too.

Schöne Grüße (Kind regards)

Benno Stolberg

www.SAC-Stolberg.de

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

WC Fields once said--- "There's a sucker born every minute"!!! :)

If we keep letting "deep pockets" define our hobby--we're going to continue to LOSE participants!!  Soon---there will be a dozen racers with BIG $$ racing each other--- look at what's happened to wing racing without limiting the cost of racing.  It's near non-existent.  Sad really--- 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

One thing is, it comes with 10 network modules to accommodate a specific motor and track configurations.

• Rob Voska and Tim Wood like this
"Line 'em up!"

#5 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

The thing that makes the controller worth that is the fact that someone will pay that for it. A wonderful thing for the one getting the money and the one getting the controller as long as the one getting the controller is happy.

Is it good for the sport? No

Just my opinion.

• tonyp, DOCinCanton, bluecars and 1 other like this
Eddie Fleming

#6 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

As I posted on the "other" thread, I believe that there are aliens amongst us :)

Ron Thornton

#7 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

These things didn't seem to help with the TRAAAACK!  fest we saw this past weekend.   ! :laugh2:  :laugh2: !

Don Weaver

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#8 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

It's all about what feels right to the racer.  I used to use a 10 band Difalco years ago but back in the early 2000's when I was running scale cars it didn't have enough range for sensitivity so I went with a used DR-40.  That has been all I have used for about 15 years now.   I have tried 3rd eye's, Carsteens, and also the new Synapese.  The threshold braking on the Synapese is great with the retro cars on tighter turns which is why alot of guys also use the 3rd eyes.  Of the four which one would I buy tomorrow if I was in the Market?  Probably another DR-40 or Synapese because of program-ability. 

The reason being is I like the lower bands more to have more punch and the power curve fits my driving style better.  I tried the Difalco with the 148, 125, and even the 98 resistor pack but it just didn't fit my sytle.  For a beginner its a great controller for an outstanding value.  

So I a $600, $800, or $1000 controller worth it?  Depends on your budget, what your racing, and if it feels right to you. 

• bbr likes this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#9 Gene/ZR1

Gene/ZR1

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:31 PM

I will keep my 1967 R4 controller, original price $5.98, 4 ohm, still works great.  :laugh2:

• hiline2 likes this

Gene Adams AKA Gene/ZR1
ZR1 Corvette owner
Hand-carved balsa bodies, resin body plugs, silicone molds, vacuum bodies
Genes_World@ymail.com

#10 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:31 PM

Try running a 1/32 F1 with a $300 controller.

• Justin A. Porter and Tim Wood like this

#11 hjames

hjames

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Lower classes not so much! Higher scale classes on flat tracks absolutely needed! The more control the more control.
  • Tim Wood likes this
Herman James
recovering slotaholic

#12 axman

axman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Lower classes not so much! Higher scale classes on flat tracks absolutely needed! The more control the more control.

Absolutely agree Herman.. Flat scale tracks particularly with tightening radius turns require finesse some controllers cant achieve. To most drivers it's all about brake and punch.. Often, as a result of starting their driving "career" at commercial tracks they punch too hard on scale tracks... and instead of re-training their driving style they dumb down the controllers response. Most modern controllers have this function but where it gets tricky is when you need lots of mid range control. To have a controller dialled right may mean you need to change from linear to bellcurve.. By adjusting the bellcurve to flatten out in a difficult part of the track certainly makes for more consistent lap times. 
I'm looking forward to trying the new Synapses controller for this reason.   
  • Noel B likes this
Kim Axton

#13 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

Try running a 1/32 F1 with a $300 controller.

I would say that's exactly the case that most folks aren't getting. Running something along the lines of a dialed in Can Am or GT1 on a Gerding King you need very little in the way of throttle sensitivity and you likely wouldn't see the advantage. 

Greg Meyer gave me a few laps on our Hillclimb with one of his ISRA Production cars and his Carsteen and there was DEFINITELY a difference in the esses that my Difalco could not have made up. 

Thanks Greg, now I have to be good this year so that Santa brings me a Carsteen...

• Tim Wood likes this

#14 DocSlotCar

DocSlotCar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

I get it is sometimes personal preference.   But the reality is that if it does something other than personal preference. What is it?  What is the reason for the triple cost?  

Explain what it does exactly....

Chris DaBoer

#15 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

^^^ See post #13 + #4

• Rob Voska, Justin A. Porter and Tim Wood like this
"Line 'em up!"

#16 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

The bells and whistles  (chokes, traction control, anti-brakes) of high end controllers are designed to cater to high end Eurosport racing on flat tracks, such controls are unnecessary for Wing, flexi and retro slot cars as run in the US.

Cheers

• Arne Saknussem, JerseyJohn, Justin A. Porter and 1 other like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#17 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

^^^ See post #13 + #4

The reason the OP seemed to be missing, or ignoring, the answers everyone patiently gave him, was the thread was actually started to promote an agenda.

http://www.slotcarta...lers-are-banned

• Half Fast likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#18 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

The agenda is that he wants a premium controller so badly but can't figure out how to explain the charge on his debit card. :good:

• garyvmachines likes this
"Line 'em up!"

#19 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

The reason the OP seemed to be missing, or ignoring, the answers everyone patiently gave him, was the thread was actually started to promote an agenda.

http://www.slotcarta...lers-are-banned

Bingo.  Look, if sanctioning bodies wanted to, they could easily spec controllers the way many spec motors already.  In many classes/types of racing where such controllers might not offer an advantage, a person could choose to use one and still be beaten by someone with a "lowly" $300 controller...maybe even an old Parma Micro :)  Aside from the potential for embarrassment and ribbing, who cares?

In races where such a controller DOES offer an advantage, the field is naturally going to be limited to people who can afford such things...but again...who cares?  If that's what they want to do...well...that's what they want to do!

As for "value", certainly these are basically hand-made custom devices done in small lots and people are *willing* to pay a premium for them.  On strictly a time and material basis, I have no way of knowing what they are truly "worth"  (ie: parts and hourly wages for an electronics tech, PLUS the cost of development and materials sourcing), but I can tell you that I make motors all the time that *should* sell for $3-400.  ;)  Heck, I see chassis here that *should* be $1,000!!!

*It bears repeating (even though it's been said many many times) that people talk about this stuff leading to the "deep-pockets" podiums, but those same people don't seem bothered by some folks "motor programs" or even the money spent on tires.  I'm old-fashioned and still like to believe that, except in the case where slow cars are run on punch-bowls where the racers could zip-tie their triggers on "full-tilt boogie" and wait for the race to end, the best drivers will have the real advantage.

• Jaz, S.O. Watt, Half Fast and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#20 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

From my understanding about the Synapse (that is the one being discussed?) From watching YouTube vids it looks like it has a full on touch screen tablet!

Just like the original r/c electronic speed controllers where you hooked up via USB to change parameters this you can also hook up and adjust stuff.

The touch screen and software also allows you to adjust all manner of :wizard: all without twisty knobs :laugh2: along with I think individual profiles for maybe separate cars, lanes or even tracks which sounds cool!

Is it worth it? Who knows? Its hand built, it obviously had a lot of design and that kind of bespoke stuff don't come cheap.

I'm sure when everyone was running fixed resistor controllers there were naysayers whinging and moaning about the digital/electronic apocalypse :shok: :laugh2:

#21 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

The Synapse is actually less than $900 around $600, its some of the European controllers that are in the $900 range.

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#22 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

I don't always like the concept that we are "racing controllers", but I also remember the early attempts at transistorized controllers in the '60s, so it's hardly a new concept. And it would be easy to spec resistor controllers in some cases. Just another case of evolving technology, although some examples appear to be over-priced. The Synapse may represent the next step or it might be just an interesting side trip. I kinda like my  (older) Third Eye, but I don't need anything more complicated at my skill level. 

Or do I???

David Cummerow

#23 DocSlotCar

DocSlotCar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

No agenda....  As far as affording one of those questionable controllers.  NOT an issue.

The issue is IF this controller does NOT offer any major significance in performance over the 350.00 and less controllers, there should be NO issue with NOT using them or restricting there use in our local or national racing?  Correct?

We do not allow any controller with boxes or batteries or  meter boxes or additions in our local racing. Not only for cost but for fairness to the local racers.  

So like motors and chassis, we have monetary limit on the controller as well at no more than 350.00 retail And it must be commercially available through Eagle and other distributors.  

Anyone have an issue with that?

• Tim Neja likes this
Chris DaBoer

#24 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

No agenda....  

there should be NO issue with NOT using them or restricting there use in our local or national racing?  Correct?

Anyone have an issue with that?

No agenda?

You just stated your agenda.

Highlighted in your quote, above.

Do whatever you want at your local level.

And why won't you answer what raceway you race at?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#25 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

The Synapse really makes a stink when it goes up in smoke.  Saw it happen at our last race.

• tonyp and TG Racing like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

Electric Dreams Online Shop