Silver Serpent save

33 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:31 AM

I was going though some old project boxes and rediscovered this Silver Serpent body. It's issues are many but I feel it's worth a bit of time to save.

It's missing right side mounting hole and the rear mounting hole had a split.. So I mixed up a bit of epoxy and clamped it between 2 flat blocks with a bit of wax paper as a release.

Biggest issue was rear tire rub and tire treatment was thrown onto the underside discoloring and melting the silver, and as with most cars that were run, the front tires rub through the paint also.

This is why this body got shelved for many years, but now the Serpent will see the light of day again.

I was satisfied with results by making templates then cutting the silver Pactra pin-stripping tape to hide the scars, I tried red first but it was over the top.  

I do have a chassis but it has problems of its own.  

Attached Images

• 100_1588.JPG
  • 100_1587.JPG

• Pablo likes this
Martin Windmill

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

There was a Silver Serpent on eBay with a $370 asking price. It didn't sell & ended yesterday. It'll show up again.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#3 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

Nice restore.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:15 AM

There was a Silver Serpent on eBay with a $370 asking price. It didn't sell & ended yesterday. It'll show up again.

What do you mean? It sold for $760!

maximo

Attached Images

• silver serpent.JPG

David Ray Siller
Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingie!

#5 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

I did have that in my watch list, that's more $s than I expected. strange how it had the Gamma Ray insert. Do you all notice, once an item ends you can not go back and look at it, I did call e-bay on it. They said they would fix it. More calls would help.

Back to the restore and thanks Bill, Max and Matt for following along. The Classic Serpent, still one of my favorite thingies. 

. The chassis had a big dent in the rear so I made a forming tool from a ball bearing welded to a rod and a groove in a piece of MDF. Notice the flat on the ball so I can get into the corners. it is bad but its just metal right?

The piano wire legs had been flattened (to run smaller front wheels I guess) and are bent from abuse they also had a Dynamic body mount soldered to them. These wires are different lengths too.

Once the legs are straightened and old solder removed I will put the proper bend back to stock. Then it will go onto my $12 fixture for re-soldering for alignment. Love this fixture, really comes in handy.

Attached Images

• 100_1584.JPG
  • 100_1595.JPG
  • 100_1593.JPG

Martin Windmill

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

What do you mean? It sold for $760!

maximo

Max, I wasn't following this auction closely, but when I looked at it shortly once the auction ended by going through the Slotblog eBay Forum, I got a "no longer available" eBay message, rather  than a "this item has been sold" one. Since this Serpent had been listed but not sold previously, I assumed the same fate had struck again on its relisting. Usually I ignore these eBay messages.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#7 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:08 PM

Rear dent is gone and wire legs straightened an then the sock bend put back in Chassis Is re-soldered so the wheel base is equal side to side and it is now flat and happy.

Even better my NOS drop arms showed up today from Electric Dreams, Great 3 day service. I ordered 2 as I have another chassis in the que. 

Attached Images

• 100_1590.JPG
  • 100_1580.JPG
  • 100_1598.JPG

• Pablo and miko like this
Martin Windmill

#8 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:00 AM

Good project Martin, definitely worth saving! How does the epoxy work to repair the body cuts? do you clamp it around the body itself, and let the epoxy form a film? any plastic backing? 

I'm still kicking myself because a couple years ago there was an auction here in France with something like 7 Serpent chassis... I thought nobody else would be too interested, so didn't bid high enough and still lost out... 

I thought you couldn't go back and look at old auctions either, but finally understood... When it says "This listing no longer available...", actually the word  listing  is a link you can click on to see the original auction.... just another link in the chain to discourage us.... I think this is ebay's bright way of saying, you lost out, but lots of other stuff to buy on ebay... pretty short-sighted, as usual 

Don 

#9 Mr. M

Mr. M

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

What is the jig deck made of and where can you get it? Are those NOS Champion jig wheels? How do you deal with guide flag vertical alignment and placement? I am intrigued...
Chris McCarty

#10 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Chris if you click on this link it will take you to e-bay you will get plenty of options  Ceramic Honeycomb Block Soldering Board 
There so cheap I had to give it a go. I love for it versatility. I will draw some more guide lines on it as needed. If and when I build a scratch built chassis I will make an adapter for the guide.But I have conventional jigs also. I have only used this one for squaring and aligning.  I have had those wheels forever, I believe they are Champion?

Don, Yes  I do clamp it around the body itself, and let the epoxy form a film. No  plastic backing, I do use clear tape to block the epoxy from leaking onto the outside.  The epoxy bonds well and seems as strong as the original parent plastic. I use waxed paper on my clamp blocks to prevent sticking. Sometimes I do paint on an extra film of epoxy on the inside if I feel the need.

I will have to try listing concept. I liked to be able to save pics and see how the sale went down etc. By the way I could of used a couple of those chassis too. They were (are) a great base for all kinds of period high breads.

Don, This is in my watch ended list.

"eBay note: This item is out of stock"  This is my only option, no link. If you click on the title (link) it takes you to another auction. So I do not get the Listing thing?

Attached Images

• 100_1577.JPG

• miko likes this
Martin Windmill

#11 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

Martin, you don't get this message when you click on one of the finished items in your watch list? This is where I click on the word "listing"... 

The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.

#12 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

Got it Don, It works. You would think e-bay support could have told me about that when I called them on this. They actually called me back twice to tell me they were working on restoring that feature. Thanks Don I should called you first :) 

Martin Windmill

#13 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

Maybe not Martin - it took me a number of months to realize what was going on, all while muttering under my breath against ebay! 

Still think it's pretty stupid, them deciding that bidders would never want to go back and look at what they lost - do it all the time! 

Don 

#14 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

Great save on that frame.   Really nice work.   Why is your honeycomb ceramic block so clean?   Mine is so burned up it looks nasty.  Maybe it's me!

If you hit "add to watch list"  any auction you are interested in, it will be in your "watch"  list after it ends.   When you open it it will take you to another auction.  But..you will have the sellers name and can use advanced search to check his completed auctions to see what something has sold for.   My belief is ebay has done this to continue trying to stop any deals after an auction is over.     You see a car listed buy it now for $299 and it doesn't sell.   You send the seller a message offering $199 and maybe he will take it,   Then Ebay gets nothing.   They don't want you to make an offer after the auction is over and the car didn't sell, so they try to put up these road blocks.    I think that is real deal.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#15 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Matt, no its not you I have only just stared using it.

Did you try what Don said, It takes you to the original listing just like before.

Martin, you don't get this message when you click on one of the finished items in your watch list? This is where I click on the word "listing"... 

The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.

Martin Windmill

#16 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

Nice project Martin!
That chassis is looking GREAT.  

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#17 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

I am making good progress, Now its time to make a couple of those flat body mounts. I am going to try adding a wire frame to better support the sides of the body. its looking like a Serpent factory on my bench.

I found another rough chassis and 2 more bodies. One body is really warped. I have good luck with straitening them, but. this one has really sucked in. The other has a lot of tire rub. Jairus any chance you have ever mixed that green?  Sure wold be nice to spot in those rub areas.

Martin Windmill

#18 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

I have.  But spot coloring metallics is like understanding women.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#19 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

I was just hoping you would have a little bottle on your self marked Classic Serpent green CSG. Sorry cant help with the woman thing, but I get your point.

Lots of little details,

Rear axles cut down so non threaded part runs in bushing and leaves just enough thread out side of wheels for spinners.

Modified Cox gear hubs for Classic 29t gears I found that had no hubs.

Clean up front wheels, one set needed new O-rings. Polish spinners. Missing 3 for the rear.

Mix custom orange to touch up missing  paint on motor cans,change pinions to 8t and replace blue wire for green.

Find Classic guides and weight, modify one weight to 1/8" spec. and find the correct braid.

Find thick wall tubing 1/8" I.D.X 3/16" O.D.to make a matching pair of 1/16" wide front wheel spacers. Lucky I had a short piece.

Seems restoring cars back to factory spec is more about searching through parts boxes and taking parts from other (junk yard) home builds of lesser importance. I could and should spend more time cauterizing parts. For instance  I have one box plastic compartment for guides.  Cox, Dynamic, Jet flag and then miscellaneous. That's the exciting part when  you find you have that K&B 2D guide or the Cox trailing or in this case the Classic guides.  Any body out there got systems for finding parts. Is it best to sort by brand or description of part ???

All good fun.    

Attached Images

• 100_1615.JPG
  • 100_1618.JPG

• miko and Mattb like this
Martin Windmill

#20 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

Looks like you got the goods!!!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#21 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

You would think so, Missing 5 spinners (small tangs). Anybody know a source for them?

Martin Windmill

#22 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:47 AM

Sorry about the spinners Martin, thought I had a couple extras, but they were all used up on my 2 Serpents (with one more coming up). 

I just accumulated mine in miscellaneous ebay lots, so there are some out there... 

On my first restoration, I was missing the body/motor mount, so just bent one up; but I had a piece of Buzco predrilled strip, so that made it easier... 

That's a pretty impressive lineup of Serpents by the way! 

Don 

PS: Martin, to answer your other question, nope, no miracle parts categorization system... Plus, as my parts stock has grown, I've improvised, so I have my guides in about 5 small drawers, plus one large shoebox... axles in a large drawer when mint, plus a couple small drawers in a larger metal box when loose... It would probably be better by brand, but don't really have the space to do that, so they're consolidated. The loose guides, for instance, are in separate 1/8 and 3/16" post drawers. 

Once I have a restoration project under way, I try to put all the appropriate parts (after scrounging through my other boxes...) in a single plastic box with all the relevant parts... and since I have some original car boxes also, when I get specific Cox or other parts in, I'll put them in one of the Cox car boxes for future projects... 

Sound familiar? 

#23 Mr. M

Mr. M

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:00 AM

Back to the ceramic block, what is the hole size and spacing?
Chris McCarty

#24 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

Missing 5 spinners (small tangs). Anybody know a source for them?

I have spinners from BITD.   Can you post a picture?

Don

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#25 Bugeye

Bugeye

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

I may have some too. When I see the pic i'll chime in again.

Rob

Rob Giorgi

Electric Dreams Online Shop