• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Colorado Slot Car

Southern Colorado Slot Car

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

I have recently purchased my local slot car track and an looking for racers to come race. I have a 145' Ogilvie Hillclimb in pretty good shape. We have had several Retro races at the track, and although i have a great bunch of racers that have participated over the past couple of years, participation has dropped off.

If you are, or know of any Retro racers that are looking for a great track to come and race on, please hit me up.

I am also trying to get some GP27 and open 15 wing races going so if you can help in that way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Doug Cimino

Southern Colorado Slot Cars
1001 Gary Ave
Pueblo, CO 81008
(719) 505-9532

#2 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

One of the 'great issues' of being a raceway owner is to find or develop customers and racers. A raceway is there to drive slot cars on and multiple tracks of different designs allows a variety of customers and their skill and interest levels.  

Most new racers do not have the passion of a seasoned racer to invest too much $ too quickly. There is always a reason to have birthday parties and RTR entry level racing - even Womps and $100 wing cars, or HO and 1/32 plastic cars. The more experienced racer develops the builder skills necessary to race the advanced classes of Retro, hardbody, wing, and other 'sanctioned' group classes.

Folks got to wade before they can swim.

Every store has to find their own unique income streams, even having a second business within the store. This is why a lot of stores are 'hobby and bike' or similar ideas.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Along the lines of what Larry said, an entry level flexi class would probably be a good way to build a customer base. Keep it simple and cheap, and don't allow "rules creep."  

One thing that a raceway I used to race at a lot did to maintain interest is instead of paying out "race bucks" to the winners, do that on a lottery. That way everyone racing has an equal chance of coming away with a little bonus, and it keeps the interest level up. Nothing kills a racing program faster than when most of the racers start to feel they are subsidizing two or three top racers.
  • Ramcatlarry, tonyp, Half Fast and 1 other like this
"Whatever..."

#4 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Good entry level flexi class:

1- Spec flexi chassis.

2- Retro Hawk motor.

3- Wedge or LMP body.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#5 aquavelvis

aquavelvis

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Where are you? I have a buddy who moved to Pegosa Springs a few weeks ago and he's definitely into slot cars.
Scott Taylor

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

Scott,

I've updated Doug's Slotblog signature to address your location question - Pueblo, CO.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Another way to keep interest for "starter" class (I suggest a 4" NASCAR body class with .010 thick bodies - enforced) using any of the newer stamped steel chassis, a classic FK motor (like the newest RH or Hawk 7) and a 3.0 gear ratio. Hand out two "Racer bucks" certificates after each race as a prize where the winner gets a small bucks prize and, then, the winner draws a name for another racer in the field for an even larger bucks certificate. The track owner should have examples built and in the showcase for sale at all times.

Also, hold another race with the same cars for the "experts" after the starter class race. The winner of the starter class race earns a move up into the "expert" race on that day and be moved into to that expert class when their winning percentage (after four wins) exceeds 30% (of races entered) consistently.

I know you have an oval track so the races could be alternated between the oval and the Hillclimb.

Another idea is to hold a race date where the finishing order is determined by points from three races using the same car (no modifications) on, first, the drag strip, then the road course, then the oval track. This could really be interesting and potentially mix up who the overall winners always are.

These are suggestions for your consideration, Doug. You know I am in your corner and applaud your efforts to get more business for the track.

AJ

• NSwanberg and Richard G With like this

Never complacent - striving to race to ever increasing levels of mediocrity!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#8 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

One thing I'd suggest is to publicize your operation intensively on Facebook. Slotblog is good publicity but there's a large number of regional venues that mostly use their own facebook presence for advertising.

If you really want to expand your oval and road race business it needs exposure.

You do a good job with the Drag strip but the oval and Hill climb usually appear as empty background.

Try emulating pages like Dallas Slot Cars where they document their activities. And note that they have classes and events every weekend (when they get in operation at the new location). Grable's and Batesville in Arkansas also do a good job of publicizing their grassroots programs.

And, even though I'm by necessity a traveling racer, I have to agree with the other posts which focus on building local low-competition groups of racers. You can't depend on a sparse group of travelers to populate your tracks. Groups like the RMRRA are useful for publicity, when they show up, but you need something going on all month long. And the local regular events need to be used as publicity.

On the topic of prizes, I think any form of payout is a bad idea. Nobody is going to fund a racing dynasty a few race bucks at a time, but some are likely to get discouraged having their entry fees go into other's pockets. Give out some cheap Internet fame and make a little profit to keep the lights on.

Hope to visit you all soon!

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#9 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

Here's a great tip, when you do advertise a race make sure that you add set-up data so those not familiar with the track can hit the track and not need so much tuning time to be competitive.  There's a great example of this in the very recent post (NERR Race #1) by "Dominator".

• Jason Holmes, raisin27 and Richard G With like this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#10 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

Another benefit to Facebook is the ability to "Boost" a post. This can be done for as little as $5.00 dollars and be tailored to a radius of your zip code and also use key words for people your are trying to bring in. Words such as race car, remote control, hot rods and anything you can thing of. A customer doesn't always need to be experienced to join the hobby. You can also select a range of days for your boost to run, like over a weekend. A boost can then be monitored to view how many people actually see it as opposed to other advertising venues.

I would suggest the post contain several pictures of your facility and products available along with other information, hours, address etc. My wife administrates a Facebook page for a local museum. Their foot traffic has doubled over the last year using boosts. Good luck.

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

#11 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

One way to identify and separate the Pro 'baby seal clubbers'  from the true amatuers is a race lap total line.  Say the tight bunch of amatuers is around 100 laps at race end, the pros are likely about 125 laps unless they sandbag their driving.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#12 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

Since you are trying to build up a program, I'd advise you stay away from wing cars!
People see the fast cars blurring around the track and say "I can't even see them, how could I race them".

Start with slower more scale cars that are available as RTR cars so people can get started relatively cheap. Perhaps you could offer a standard beginner class package of car' controller and basic tools with a tackle box or small toolbox, and schedule a race night just for them.

And don't neglect your oval track! It's not my thing but many raceway seem to be having success there with womp and Flexi based cars.

And, when you schedule races make sure you run them even if only a few show up.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#13 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

I agree. When a raceway owner announces a race, try to race even if it's only a few. Make sure there is SOMETHING to do that day.

To this end, I have emailed Doug and am hoping that we can get enough racers to support a race on the 15th, the weekend the out-of-State racers have said they can be there. I am committed to show if he announces it.

We have run races that were fun with as few as 5 people participating. With no marshals, we made a track call for each de-slot and the racer has to do the "Walk of Shame" to marshal their own car. It seems by the third heat, most everyone was keeping it in the slot and the heats just started to move right along!

I hope it happens! Would love to race with you, Richard and your traveling mates!

Never complacent - striving to race to ever increasing levels of mediocrity!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

Electric Dreams Online Shop