• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,670 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

The 1967 Champion Arco "Nats" in Atlanta were a highlight of pro racing history, a series of races for F1, GT coupes, sports cars and stock cars in which Team Champion Bob Cozine was named "Grand Champion" without winning a single event but placing well in all. It is being described in detail in my upcoming book (no snide comments please) with comments by the people who were there.
The LASCM so far, had only one car in its collection from that event, the F1 winning entry of John Cukras, restored by Yours Truly. John later donated the winning plaque to the LASCM.

A few months ago, a pair of survivors from that event surfaced. Bob Emott had built cars for himself and others, all inline of course since the only anglewinder cars were still hidden in the Midwest where club racers were enjoying their superior handling. Somehow when the LASCM purchased Bob's collection of surviving cars (mostly chassis), several had already escaped and were in the hands of one of my contacts in New Jersey, and I was able to convince that very secretive person to "let go" of a pair of them. There was a stock car and an F1, in fact at this time, the only known examples of inline chassis built by Emott. The stocker was fortunately well documented as pictures of its chassis were printed in a Model Car Journal issue by Mike Morrissey. It had been loaned by Bob to Howie Ursaner who collected a fine 3rd place with it. That car has now been put back together with a replica body painted by Noose, and a replica Team Russkit motor as described to me by Ursaner.

The F1 however, was in doubt. When I first showed pictures of it in these pages, there was no real evidence of it being an Emott, and I based my conclusions from its construction style, especially in the way its lead weight over its drop arm had been fitted, with the arm's stop soldered directly to the lead weight, just as on the stocker. The chassis had a dropped front axle and Dynamic cast wheels, very unusual indeed.

1.jpg

Well, after a bit more hair pulling, my source let go of a body that appears to have been the "backup" for this car, as it was already trimmed and fitted for it, and the doubts were instantly gone, as Bob's name was painted on it. More, the original Kean motor had survived, albeit in very rusty condition. It still had a piece of the blue Marklin lead wire favored by Emott still affixed to one of its terminals.

Now, the car has been cleaned, the corrosion on the motor removed, the motor rebuilt and installed in the chassis. Correct rear wheels and tires as well as a Weldun crown gear have been fitted, and NOS K&B tires mounted on the front wheels. New Marklin lead wires were used. A cox guide and period Cobra braided contacts finished the job.
The body was missing its driver, so I temporarily installed one Noose painted for me, but a proper example with soon be in the car.

So here are pictures of the finished car that will soon join the flotilla of genuine pro cars on display in the Los Angeles museum.

DSCN1085.JPG

The Dave Bloom painted 1966 Dynamic Ferrari 3-liter Fi body suffered minor storage damage and has a nice coat of grime, but will remain as found.

DSCN1087.JPG

DSCN1088.JPG

There is a cut in the body to clear the crown gear, but it is almost invisible.

DSCN1089.JPG

DSCN1092.JPG

As found, the left side of the front axle was badly bent, as Emott ran into trouble in the race and launched the car on the American 150' track's straightaway, effectively ending his race. This was repaired and rewired for strength.

DSCN1095.JPG

Bob Kean liked the Cox "NASCAR" 16D can and used them a lot, and this motor has that style of can with a pair of Arco "33" shimmed magnets, one of Kean's fine armatures and a stock Mabuchi endbell with Mura brush holders and Champion springs and spring posts. The armature was cleaned, the comm recut and the arm re-balanced, and NOS Champion shunted brushes were used in the rebuild. The endbell has a crack as the Delrin plastic has aged, but it is the original and I preferred to keep it with the motor rather than replacing it.

DSCN1097.JPG

The body is mounted with straight pins inserted in two 1/16" piece of brass tubing floating inside a larger tube soldered to the chassis.

DSCN1100.JPG

DSCN1103.JPG

Another one saved...

• slotbaker, MSwiss, n.elmholt and 10 others like this

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:04 PM

Dok,

Thanks for sharing the story and the photos, fascinating. I was acquainted with Bob Emott and to see his work rediscovered and restored to this level of accuracy is most enjoyable !!!

• TSR likes this
Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#3 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,055 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

Beautiful restoration.
  • TSR and JerseyJohn like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#4 alainprost22

alainprost22

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:09 AM

Tonight, after watching the Jay Leno episode, I was telling my wife of some of the encounters I had with Bob, Howie, and (even) Bob Kean. Brought back some fond memories. My last meeting with Bob...  Waiting for luggage to arrive at Newark Airport. Bob was on chauffeur duty that night.

Al...
  • Uncle Fred, slotcarone, tonyp and 1 other like this
Al Pollack

#5 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,055 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

Bob was a great guy and had the ability to analyze and come up with the best way to do things. He was always ahead of the curve in slot car and R/C design.

I miss him a lot. Everything I know about chassis building I do todayBbob took the time to teach me. He had figured how they worked better than anyone and I am so grateful he gifted me with his knowledge. Without it I was just be a geek throwing brass rod together with no rhyme or reason.
  • Cheater, mjsh, slotbaker and 6 others like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for sharing, Philippe :D

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: 

Paul Wolcott

#7 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,354 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

Awesome. Bob was a great friend and one heck of a builder.
  • JerseyJohn likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#8 The Sawdust Man

The Sawdust Man

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for posting this... love it!
Robert Manzitti

#9 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,186 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

I love the whole car but especially the paint work on the body. It just screams PRO CAR to me!

Thanks Philippe

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#10 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:47 PM

Great to see this car and the restoration work. I met Bob a few times during my stint living in Vermont. I raced pretty regularly in the NECC series and very occasionally in Bob's series which I think he titled "Metro". I got the chance to race at some pretty iconic raceways running in his series. I remember going to Lawnguyland to one of his races held at (I think) Racehampton and Bob was super helpful to a guy that had never been there, not at all familiar with the unique track, and also was not super familiar with his rules.

Amazing guy and personally, I think one of a kind.

• MSwiss and old & gray like this
Jim Fowler

#11 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

Forgive me for this, but I see pin tubes for two pins per side, and only one set of pins?

I wouldn't ask, except I have a need to know :mellow:

Paul Wolcott

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,670 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

Paul,
the two extra pins would break the budget. 

Seriously, the body was only punched for two, so I left it alone.  :)

#13 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:26 PM

Thank you, that answers my question fine.

I'm well aware cars of that type can sometimes get by with a single set of pins.

But it appears the chassis was designed to have all four.

If it can be made to work with just one set, I'd say "Bravo" :)

I'll bet Noose and Bob would both agree :sun_bespectacled:

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop