• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,727 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

As I have to take pictures of a dozen or so "pro" cars for the last lingering chapter of that "Book from Hell" (no snide comments please), I am busy restoring and assembling some truly historic survivors. I have a pile of historically important chassis, motors, complete cars, some with original bodies, some for which the body disappeared a long time ago, but fortunately there are some talented painters out there, and at this time, the most qualified person to do the job when a body is needed is a guy who was there as a teen, and already painting for the pros. You can all guess his name, yes, it is none other than "The Noosester", AKA Joe Neumeister.

So I had to repair and restore this car from the damage inflicted to it by its ace driver, to whom the car builder, the kind and gentle Robert Emott Jr., one of the greatest slot car racer/builder of all time, loaned it. How foolish can one be? :laugh2:
Actually, the car was loaned to Ursaner by Emott in an effort to boost the points tally for Howie, as he was clearly in contention for an overall win in the combined races.
Well, Howie Ursaner did do it justice, as he finished in second place with that loaner at the 1967 "Arco Nats" in Atlanta. No less than 47 years later, the chassis surfaced, albeit in rather poor condition and very corroded, and in need of a few repairs as some of its joints had failed as it had suffered minor crash damage.
When it was found, the astute Slotblog readers identified it for me, because there were clear pictures of it in Morrissey's rag in January 1968. What luck, and that saved me some research time!

But what did it look like as a complete car, and what body and motor did it have? Howie remembered that the motor was a modified Russkit "23" with that gold painted can, likely a Team Russkit motor supplied to him at the time. So, I built one, using a set of Arco magnets, a period armature wound by Doug Henline and a stock Mabuchi endbell, since the motor/axle bracket had not been enlarged on the chassis, and the Mabuchi FT16D endbell was the only type that would fit. Since the armature shaft was too long to fit inside the can with its blind bushing, I did what they did then and punched it through with an .078" drill bit. A pair of shunted brushes and stiffer springs over brass posts and... voila.
But what body? Howie did not remember...

Bob Rule to the rescue: Bob sent me many pictures taken at that race, and sure enough, there is a picture of several of the top racers holding their NASCAR machines to Bob's camera. There you can see Bryan Warmack, John Cukras, John Anderson, Howie (with "our" car) and kneeling, Terry Schmid, with their machines.

ursaner_stocker_1967_nats.jpg

More enhancement...

ursaner_stocker_1967_nats_2.jpg

Missing in that picture is the race's winner, Pete von Ahrens, seen here looking at his winning entry after the race. Pete concentrated on building the best NASCAR car he could for that event, thinking that others would likely neglect the class to concentrate on the "noble" categories, the sports cars and F1s. Smart move as he smoked everyone, except for Ursaner who gave him a good fight for his money all the way to the end.

atanta_1967_8.jpg

While the picture was not exactly clear, a bit of detective work allowed me to figure out that the body was a Pactra Ford Fairlane, a rather scarce version with a rear spoiler and NASCAR rear-window bars.
A bit of luck on an eBay auction and I got one, sent it to Noose to match, and decaled it with the very same Cox NASCAR stuff it had then.

A set of Champion lead wires and rear tires, some Russkit fronts, the ubiquitous Cox guide and a Weldun crown gear and pinion, and I can say that this is as close as the car was that Christmas weekend in 1967 in Georgia.
So here is that Emott-built car, now restored back to life. By the way, for an old motor, that thing screams.

DSCN1110.JPG

DSCN1114.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

DSCN1107.JPG

DSCN1106.JPG

DSCN1108.JPG

DSCN1109.JPG

DSCN1111.JPG

Is this not a truly cool car? The next NASCAR restoration I will show you soon, was a Team Champion car built and owned by Ray Gardner. Its body is quite freaky and likely would be banned in IRRA or SCRRA racing today...

• n.elmholt, S.O. Watt, Noose and 6 others like this

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,645 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

In the Morrisessy photo, it mentions that the second rail on each side is piano wire. In the colored photos of the restoration, it appears that the 2nd & 3rd rails on each side are piano wire. Which one is correct?
Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

:sun_bespectacled: :good: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

• TSR likes this
Paul Wolcott

#4 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:22 PM

PS: Dok,

We appreciate all of your efforts and especially your ability to I.D. the manufactured parts utilized in these great cars !!!!  This is really cool, it puts the skills of past builders/racers into perspective.

A special thanks to Joe Neumeister for his skill in allowing us to finally see these beauties in "living color" rather than the decades old black and white that we're used to !!!

• TSR likes this
Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#5 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

PDL, so the stockcar used a Russkit 33, a 36d motor? I’m surprised anyone would be using a 36 d that late.

Oops I see original post has been revised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#6 Dennis Krivacek

Dennis Krivacek

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

A Howie survivor must really be rare. Not many cars survive Howie, LOL

• tonyp and Howie Ursaner like this

#7 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

Philippe ,  The car is absoluley beatiful. Its amazing that it was rescued from the pile and is one of only a few of  the original cars i raced back then that exist.I would use the drop arms and what i could for the next one,so they were chopped and canablized for the next race which was amost  every week. I was winding arms and building motors so it was a very busy time.All of the cars i raced at the Arco Nats had motors wound and built by me except the Stock Car which  probably had Bob's motor in it , can't remember.

Bob was one of my closest friends , more like a brother than a friend. We did everything together including working together at Polks Hobbies on the 4th floor  on 5th Avenue and 34th st NYC. , which was all slot cars with 2 tracks. When Bob went to VIet Nam,  I took the bus to his house in Florham Park NJ to pack up all the slot car stuff and send it to him so he could start a track there and share it with the soldiers.  Bob was my only friend that came to my moms funeral when she passe away. I truly loved him l and miss him .Together we made slot car history and everything he did after i left the scene is more history.

I was in the running to win the overall 4 race. week long championship, with every pro in the country there. It was the biggest race of the entire era. I had no stock car and Bob handed over his car to me right before the race to keep me in the hunt. The prize for winning the overall was $500 which was like $10,000 now. Back then a new corvette was $4000. I would have won the overall , if not for the sabotage by Team Champion that destroyed my car before the race started.

FACT CHECK  

I finished 2nd not 3rd. More Fake News.Check the race report.  I chased Pete the whole race. I dont think either of us deslotted more than once. No one else was close. If it wasn't for the sabotage of my TQ record setting sports car , I would have won two of the 4 races that week with a 2nd in Stock car. Champion was determined that Cozine HAD to win the oveall with no wins.

• Pete L., tonyp and Half Fast like this
Howie Ursaner

#8 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:46 AM

Why did they feel the need for the wheel well body braces? Were the bodies that floppy to warrant that extra weight very high up? Or,?

Wouldn't .047 or even .032 wire have done the trick?

Paul Wolcott

#9 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

The wheels were inside the bodies and the pro available bodies were thinner. The loops were of course to keep tires from rubbing. Thicker wire loops were used so they did not bend fouling the tires.

These 7 ounce plus sleds could cause a lot of damage in a crash.

• Howie Ursaner likes this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
Arco Champion
ip

#10 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

And of course bob loaned his own race car to Howie to keep him in the contention for the overall championship.

• Howie Ursaner likes this

Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
Arco Champion
ip

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Apologies to Howie, yes, second place, not third. Corrected now. The car weighs 5.4 oz. The Pactra body is very thin, made of 10-thou material, and of course, not GE Lexan as that was still a year away, so made of fragile polystyrene butyrate like the vast majority of the pre-1970 authentic pro racing bodies we have at the museum.

#12 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

A Howie survivor must really be rare. Not many cars survive Howie, LOL

Ask any F1 driver, you crash more than you win, but you're not trying hard enough  to win without consequence. I like to do all of my crashing in practice  and have a perfect race .

• TSR and Tex like this
Howie Ursaner

#13 Martin

Martin

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Great save Philippe, and Howie,wow, great to hear about your close relationship with Bob. Nice to hear about that kind of sportsmanship. On the flip side can you tell us more about the " sabotage by Team Champion that destroyed my car" too bad it was like that.

Did not know that Bob went to Viet Nam. Did he get his cars there safe and did they have get a track built ? what a great story.

Thanks Howie for sharing your story.

• Pete L. likes this
Martin Windmill

#14 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,863 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

I've witnessed Howie run a complete F1 retro race with zero deslots

Paul Wolcott