• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

There is a Hall of Fame for just about anything. And toys are no exception. There is a National Toy Hall of Fame, each year announcing new inductees. Slot cars, inexplicably, have yet to be inducted.

I get that some folks don't view them as 'toys,' but their branching off into, for some, a serious racing hobby belies the fact that they were introduced, marketed, and developed primarily as toys. And for a while in the '60s and into the '70s they were the predominant hobby, especially for young boys.

In looking at the website, one of the criteria is that the toy has some longevity. While slots never wholly went away, the argument can be made that the hobby has had 'legs.' They've also become part of the 1:1 scale automobile lexicon, with cars frequently being touted as 'handling like slot cars' in advertising collateral and magazine articles.

Let's correct this travesty? I encourage everyone to log into the National Toy Hall of Fame and nominate slot cars! They need to be overwhelmed with nominations and support!!!

Toy Hall of Fame
  • C. J. Bupgoo likes this
Todd Brace

#2 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Somewhat surprising to me that slots aren't already inducted, but I'm a little partial.

jb

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#3 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:13 AM

If you read through the list of prior inductees, you will find such popular toys as: ball, stick, and cardboard box. 

I think I will nominate mud.

You can't always get what you want...

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:49 AM

Considering that the oldest nomination I see is from 1998, (three+ decades after "commercial" slots were at their biggest) it could be that slots are outside whoever visits and runs the place's experience.  I don't see "dradles" or Mattel Roy Rogers six shooters...or even Gilbert Chemistry sets, let alone the really cool stuff like those pump-up water-powered rockets you could take out your neighbor's window with either.  A travesty!

• tonyp and Half Fast like this
John Havlicek

#5 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,523 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

Which one?
Guess either the Manta Ray or the Cuk fit the bill, since those were the most sold of all time.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#6 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

Considering that the oldest nomination I see is from 1998, (three+ decades after "commercial" slots were at their biggest) it could be that slots are outside whoever visits and runs the place's experience.  I don't see "dradles" or Mattel Roy Rogers six shooters...or even Gilbert Chemistry sets, let alone the really cool stuff like those pump-up water-powered rockets you could take out your neighbor's window with either.  A travesty!

While I see your point, sort of, many of the inducted toys  are not what you suggest: Barbie, bubbles, bicycle, sled, chalk, tick tac toe, ball, Candyland, box, dominoes, easy bake oven, erector set, etch a sketch, balloon, GI Joe, Game of Life, hula hoop, Hot Wheels, jacks, etc.and many others all predate the demographic you suggest, and predate or were the contemporaries of slot cars in their hey day. That said, if you really are jazzed by the water/pump rockets, got to that forum (just checked...there IS at least one) and see if you can jazz them up. I liked mine, I'll vote for them!

Todd Brace

#7 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:09 PM

Which one?
Guess either the Manta Ray or the Cuk fit the bill, since those were the most sold of all time.

Tough Room.

I'm thinking maybe the Cox Chap 2 might have outsold the Cuc. But Aurora T Jets would probably be the poster child if we're talking slot cars as toys..

Todd Brace

Electric Dreams Online Shop