Photo

Is There Any Interest in Racing 1972 era C-Can Opens?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the memories Russ, this is one time I can say, I was there. That was a great bunch of guys with some great vintage classes.

Still miss Mark.

• team burrito likes this

Martin

#27 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

Bill; Retro is old hat now. True it is still popular, but all the motor hokus-pokus has chased a few racers away. A class with

motor rules like those of yore would eliminate a lot of that. As long as they aren't figited with to make certain people happy.

#28 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

One of the vintage classes that worked well and was a lot of fun and easy for every one to compete was the American line class. Remember the kit you could buy and blue print. Not sure when these kits were made available. But they were easy to get in the 90s

Attached Images

• P1150246.JPG

Martin

#29 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,231 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

I never had one, but I think the originals were made by Riggen, later to be bought out by REH. I've seen both brass & steel versions of that chassis, but don't have their history. They will occasionally show up on eBay. sometimes vastly overpriced.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#30 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:26 PM

Yes Bill, we were buying them from REH i believe and they were cheap. they handled great and made for some close racing. I  do not know when they came to be ?

Martin

#31 John Secchi

John Secchi

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

Regarding the UK "Tottenham" race series the armatures are already available from Proslot, called "Infinity" they are 0.500" dia and at the moment come in either 30 turns of 26 awg or 25 turns of 25 awg. Apart from a period "C" can most people use modern ceramic magnets and modern endbells/hardware so they tend to be pretty reliable on the UK tracks at least, using plastic gears with these cars however is another story!

[oneofwos]

• Pablo likes this
1956-2020
Requiescat in Pace

#32 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

Before Gunther Faas brought out his awesome gears we all or most of us used Cox spurs, Cobras chipped teeth too easily. Sleds as many call the old 1970-1972 open chassis did just fine with plastic gears that were well meshed. The beauty of open "Old Time Opens" is that you don't have to worry about someone cheating by fitting a bogus seal on the motor:-)

Not to take away from the present crop of fast guys but racing a car that has to be "driven" is something the really old fast guys will relate to. Put John Cukras behind a good 1970's car and pick your current fast guy and I'd bet a pizza and pitcher of beer John would out drive them, ok same for Steube, Montague or anyone that had to really drive rather that full punch.

Jesse Gonzales

Electric Dreams Online Shop