7 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

Another in a series of "mashups" I like to do when a certain combination of parts just makes sense.  There was a recent thread about the Hong Kong produced Mabuchi FT160, which stirred a few still-functioning neurons, so I dug out one of the end bells.  These end bells are made from a very tough and heat-resistant material, and have a bushing strap that's more like the Champion, being wide and having a .250"-ish bushing or bearing (depending on the model).  These end bells need very little work to be up to some pretty hairy winds...maybe a little extra breathing, and "maybe" soldering the hoods, but that's probably not at all necessary.  Think Mura "A" end bell, but with a more spacious bushing.  Speaking of bushings, these are sintered of at least some iron, because like many modern Chinese motors, they are magnetic.  That means they are also tough and should wear much better than the older and smaller Japanese Mabuchi bushings.

For the can, I chose a Champion with the wide-open rear end.  The enormous, humongous, gigantic, huge can oilite MUST go.  Even in an inline end bell drive situation, the thing could get in the way, and it's just too big.  I soldered it in place on the inside, so I could mill the outside flush to the can metal.  Bingo...instant bearing adapter.  Now it just has to be reamed for either a 5mm or a 6mm bearing.

I have a nice set of stout, blunt tipped magnets that are a bit stronger than Arcos and produce a perfect hole with no shim required...nice!  The end bell just needs to be trimmed on the sides to flush-out with the can metal.

IMG_3111.JPG IMG_3112.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Tex and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

The can hole has been reamed out and the bearing installed.

IMG_3114.JPG

After disassembling the end bell hardware, I removed the bushing.  While these are long-wearing and really securely installed, I chose to go with a bearing for this motor on both ends.  Like the Champion end bells, these have somewhere around a .250" pocket, so a 6mm bearing needs to be sleeved for a nice "snap-fit".  Before installing the bearing, the end bell got four 1/32" holes drilled to help "key" the bearing/sleeve assembly to the plastic.  Being careful not to foul the bearing with epoxy, the assembly got pressed-in so the epoxy can cure and better lock everything in place.

IMG_3115.JPG

I also opened-up the outside of the bearing pocket to make oiling easier.  After the epoxy has speed-cured, the bearing isn't going anywhere.  On the inside, it's a tight fit, on the outside, there's still a "rim" on the end bell plastic to prevent the bearing from moving towards the outside, and the epoxy will prevent it all from spinning, although with the bearing being a tight fit, that would be unlikely anyway.

IMG_3116.JPG IMG_3117.JPG

The end bell flange has also been trimmed-back on all four sides to flush-out with the can.  A couple of more things to do on the end bell, and it will be ready for reassembly.

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Tex and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

...of course, like modern "designer breed" dogs where the name isn't 100% set in stone, this could have been called a "Mabupion" or a "Machamp"...or even a "Champiuchi".  ;)

John Havlicek

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

To finish-off the end bell, I made a couple of access/inspection/ventilation holes, installed post sleeves and drilled it for can mounting (* I also slightly opened-up the top and bottom can countersinks).  Now all that's left to finish the setup is to install the magnets.  This pair, while strong and sized to produce a  nice "hole" in the D can, are on the short side, so the arm will be .460" long.

IMG_3118.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Tex and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

I like Chambuchi :) It's fun to say and sounds powerful 

• havlicek, olescratch and Geary Carrier like this
Paul Wolcott

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:53 AM

I like Chambuchi :) It's fun to say and sounds powerful 

:)  Well, at least it sounds kind of "Japanese" also Pablo.  "Mabuchion" sounds either like an alien species, or some new sub-atomic particle they discovered using the Hadron Collider.  ;)

John Havlicek

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

I decided to give this end bell a little more flair by dyeing it purple.  I think it not only looks cool against the chrome and brass hardware, but also a little more vintage.  Then again, since these end bells are probably better than 40 years old, it IS vintage.  :)

IMG_3119.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Tex and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#8 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Dying the endbell transformed it from dingy to WOW.  :clapping:

You can't always get what you want...

Electric Dreams Online Shop