• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

This story will be in two parts but first a bit of preface. My very first slot car was an original Dynamic Bandit. I loved that car and it is still my favorite Thingy of all time. So I contacted Victor of TrueScale fame to see if he had any Bandit bodies still around. The answer was no but then he most graciously offered to send me his mold so I could pull some bodies myself. And since I don’t have the needed equipment, Gene/ZR1 said he would pull the bodies for me. So thru the amazing generosity of both Victor and Gene, I now have multiple Bandit bodies in my possession. Time to get busy…

Part 1 - Recreating an Original Bandit

So for one of my bodies, I wanted to recreate my original Dynamic Bandit as closely as I could. And I had a good starting point as I’d located the wheels, motor mount and motor from my original car. I was also able to score on eBay both the hinge and the chassis front so I now have most of the chassis pieces. But unfortunately, one of the axel supports on my motor mount was slightly bent and I couldn’t find another one on eBay. Luckily, Philipe came to the rescue and was able to supply me with a NOS Mabuchi FT16D motor mount, original 3 prong knock offs, 3” threaded axels and an original crown gear. I now had all the needed chassis pieces and even part of the drivetrain.

Sadly things on the motor front were not so great. The original Mabuchi endbell was cracked into multiple pieces and I wasn’t able to locate a replacement on eBay. Luckily the Tradeship direct replacement endbells are still available but they don't look the same. And worse yet, the can bushing was wobbling all over the place and investigation revealed that the spider holding the floating bushing in place had popped out. So I packed the bushing and spider with a liberal dose of J-B Weld, cleaned up the arm and put everything back together with the Tradeship endbell. I now have a mostly stock motor that seems to run as well as it ever did although the life expectancy of the can bushing is probably iffy at best.

And then serendipity struck yet again as John Havlicek posted about rewinding a vintage Mabuchi FT16D and chose as his patient my very motor … even the same purple can! Luckier still, John said the motor he was rebuilding did not have a home as yet … and now it does. So I now have the option of either the original motor or a period rewind (which also happens to be dynamically balanced and sings beautifully). I also discovered that with a little heat, I was able to gently coax my original motor mount back into alignment (it just needed a slight nudge). I’ll probably put the stock motor back into its original mount and put John’s much healthier motor into the NOS mount.

I’ll post a pics of where things stand now but just wanted to give a huge thanks to Victor, Gene, Philipe and John. Sometimes it truly does take a village and the slot car community is a very rich and generous village indeed!

Attached Images

• IMG_0578.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Maximo and 6 others like this

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Paul Wolcott

#3 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Nice build Larry. I will follow your progress. I bet a lot of kids started with a Dynamic product of some kind.

Do you have that hard to find body mount? I did not see it in the pics. 

Martin Windmill

#4 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I forgot to mention that detail. Sadly I was not able to find my original but Gene just got hold of one and is going to send me a template of his ... it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate. Of course if anyone happens to have one and would like to contribute? (It never hurts to ask right. :-o)

#5 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

Larry,

What was it in particular that made the Bandit your all-time favorite?

maximo

David Ray Siller
Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingie!

#6 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

My all time favorite Thingie ... the early Lotus 49 is my all-time favorite car. But being an open wheel aficionado, the Bandit and Asp were naturally my favorite Thingies. But of those two, the Bandit just has such sensuous flowing curves. And once I put a Hemi 300 in mine, it had good poke too!

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

I have been hired to paint the Gene/ZR1 body and finish the build to full completion. More to follow ……….  :dance3:

• Jaeger Team likes this
Paul Wolcott

#8 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:36 AM

Guys look forward to seeing the finished project. Is the color hard to match?will it be one of the stock colors or ??????

I have plenty of Repo stickers if you plan to go stock by the way.

• slotbaker and Lou E like this
Martin Windmill

#9 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:36 AM

Martin, I would love to use some of your repro stickers! I'll send you a PM with Pablo's address.

As for color, I'm trying to recreate my original root beer car. No idea how hard it will be to match that color but I do have the original body that Pablo can use as a reference. I'm also working on a separate project that Pablo doesn't know about yet (remember this thread is A tale of two Bandits). The other one will use a scratch built chassis that's almost done ... I'll post it when it's finished. I'm calling it a Super Duper Bandit and since those never existed, maybe it will sport some original paint!

#10 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'm also working on a separate project that Pablo doesn't know about yet 

You can't even fart on this blog without me knowing about it  :sarcastic_hand: 

Paul Wolcott

#11 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:00 PM

Guys you have my attention.

stickers coming to ya

Paul do you have hole punches to cut the numbers. You may prefer another way to cut them, but I will send extras so you can cut without the pressure and then you can pick your best cut.

Martin Windmill

#12 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

Yes I have a hole punch, thanks  :good:

Paul Wolcott

#13 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

Cool,

its just a hit or miss to get them centered, but Dynamic had the same issue. Got to think of a better way to do that.

sent 3 sheets with 3 sizes as that's what is on the sheet. The Renegade use the bigger size. I think the Bandit numbers are too small IMO, so see if you like the bigger numbers on Bandit's nose.

The stripe and Auto club art is on the same sheet. I was not happy with the blue saturation and the Auto club and the Dynamic decal is better to find on many stock decal sheets.  

Martin Windmill

#14 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Larry's Bandit has arrived along with misc. parts and two Gene/ZR1 bodies

IMG_3503.JPG

Body color looks more like burnt orange than root beer to me, maybe it's just age. I hope to make it look like this one, to the best of my ability and resources (photo courtesy of Philippe de Lespinay and LASCM):

post-3-0-15778000-1552778969.jpg

Here are Martin's decals, they will go inside:

IMG_3481.JPG

Paul Wolcott

#15 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

To me... It's orange!

NOT ROOT BEER!

JMHO

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#16 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

Man, root beer acrylic paint is hard to find! This Tamiya Metallic Brown may do the trick, Larry?

https://www.tamiyaus...wn/10ml-bottle/

Anybody got a better idea?

Paul Wolcott

#17 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

Larry, you can thank Gary Stelter (Horsepower) for this pair of extremely rare genuine original new in bottle Cox grey foam donuts. Also, I found only one "SPECIAL" "DM" knife-edge correct front tire. I need another; hopefully Prof. Motor still has some

IMG_3504.JPG

A pair of nice new rear axle ball bearings are already installed, and yes they are in perfect alignment. Looking at the "H" motor, I'd say it's probably 29 or 30 wire. I think this motor will be perfect for this car. My job is to help get that horsepower to the ground - some weighting of the chassis looms on the horizon...….

IMG_3507.JPG

The motor has been well secured both front and rear, but I will be checking it using the Pablo "motor happiness check" before I harness it to the drivetrain  :)  "Trust, but verify"  :sun_bespectacled: That's why Larry pays me the big bucks  :good:

IMG_3514.JPG

The bottom motor spring is very close to binding on the chassis. I can fix that 

IMG_3511.JPG

Both axles tested nice and straight, but both have flat spots. I'm not a fan of flat spots on this type car, especially not for a front axle where it serves no purpose. Not judging, just sayin'. In the end, they may, or may not be the proper sizes for the car anyway. I have lots of threaded axles here so it's no problem 

IMG_3510.JPG

Paul Wolcott

#18 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,814 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:41 PM

Man, root beer acrylic paint is hard to find! This Tamiya Metallic Brown may do the trick, Larry?

https://www.tamiyaus...aint-mini-10ml/

Anybody got a better idea?

This link goes to a Tamiya acrylic page rather than the mentioned metallic brown. I didn't see a metallic brown listed on this page. Depending what the brown is, you could try mixing gold &  red with it to see if you get a shade near what you want.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#19 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Bill, I think I fixed the link. Please try it now.

And thanks for the gold/red mix info, I may need it if my root beer quest fails  :D

Paul Wolcott

#20 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:31 PM

Paul this may help with color. 2 pics one in shade one in sun. WD can for reference.

Here you can see the 2 color choices the red (far right) and the root-beer Bandit and Renegade.

Attached Images

• Bandit in the shade.JPG
  • Bandit in the sun.JPG

Martin Windmill

#21 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

Wow, my car looks so much better in Pablo's photos!  :good: And those Cox grey foam donuts look pretty sweet too!

As for the paint, Martin's looks like a great match to me so maybe go with that recipe?

Pablo, you had asked about John's motor so here is a link to when it was built: http://slotblog.net/...-rewind-how-to/. When I mentioned I'd be putting it in a Bandit, John thought that would be the perfect match.

Seeing my car come to life is exciting stuff!

• Pablo likes this

#22 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

Aha 60 turns of 30, with 18 degrees timing. John H. gave you perfect advice, of course.  :sun_bespectacled:

Thanks for the link to the "H" motor build, Larry. It's important to me  :)

Looks like the proverbial "root beer" color may be the hardest part of my job!  :laugh2:

Paul Wolcott

#23 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

Hope there is no confusion here, the pics I sent are original paint. Red on the right. Dynamics recipe, not mine. But they are both beautiful colors.

Did I mention I picked up the Dynamic body mounts? :)

• Maximo and MattD like this
Martin Windmill

#24 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,814 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:32 PM

The link works fine now. :)

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#25 Larry Horner

Larry Horner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

So no wonder your cars matched the Dynamic color scheme perfectly. Man Martin, those bodies are pristine considering their age! Also your new mounts look great!

Electric Dreams Online Shop