• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 John Browning

John Browning

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:57 AM

I wanted to announce the grand opening of our new slot car track. We are located in Pigeon Forge, TN. 

This coming Saturday, November 10, we will be hosting a slew of events throughout the day and ending with a NASCAR class money race. We will be having a kids race, teens race, and an LMP race. Also, we will be testing and tuning our drag strip, so come on out and make some passes on it.   

Find us on Facebook and feel free to message me about the details of our big day. 

Let me know if you are interested in coming ASAP. We need all the support we can get from our slot car comminity.

cf.jpg

#2 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:07 AM

It sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck on the races.

Just a note, if you would not have posted on Slotblog I never would have heard you were having a race. It sounds like a race I wish I could attend.
2017 Western States " Retro Hawk F class " Champion
2017 USRA Div 1 Nats " F class " Champion
Thank you John and Dee Hale -Santa Ana Raceway circa 1968

#3 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

Best of luck with your new track. If I'm ever back in east Tennessee I'll be sure and bring some cars and run a few laps!

Don Weaver

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#4 bluecars

bluecars

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

What kind of track do you have?

Robert "Red" Valantine :diablo: 

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:00 AM

Red,

There's a place here at Slotblog you might want to know about... the Raceway List.

The Checkered Flag Slot Car Racing

(/rant on

Red, my friend, it's questions like yours that make me wonder why I bother expending so much energy trying to keep the Raceway List updated and accurate.

And this isn't to single you out in any way. I was ranting about this a few days ago to someone else after learning one raceway had moved, without even updating their address on their Facebook page, and that another raceway had removed one of their tracks almost two years ago and no one bothered to let me know. Also got a PM a few days ago from a member who recently visited a raceway that had closed last October and which had been removed from the Raceway List at that time.

Seriously, guys, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the Raceway List a higher level of visibility and usage?

/rant off)

• spudboy likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,821 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:25 AM

Best wishes on your grand opening- hope to be able to come over and visit. :)

Seriously, guys, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the Raceway List a higher level of visibility and usage?

I wish that I had a useful answer for you – the only way that I can see that a track directory of any type can stay up to date is if the track owners take it upon themselves to keep the directory up to date. Unfortunately, the majority of track owners (for whatever reason) don't appear to care to do this.

The slot car race center locations map (which I try as best as I can to keep up to date) was originally envisioned as a crowd-sourced place where an individual could find out about raceways, manufacturers and hobby shops- to date, fewer than 1 percent of the entries on the map have been submitted by racers or track owners or manufacturers other than myself.

One might conclude from this that track directories or maps are not needed, but then people frequently ask questions about what tracks are located in what areas (often when moving or on vacation), so then it's suddenly important to have an accurate and up-to-date directory?

SMH.

The only way any directory of anything is accurate and up to date – and as such useful – is with a lot of work by one person or a small amount of work by many people. It would appear that the many would like an accurate directory maintained by the few for in essence, no cost.

• spudboy likes this

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,856 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:25 AM

(rant ON)

I tried for almost a year to help a raceway owner by taking advantage of Slotblog's list once he opened it up.

I even emailed all my regional slot racing buddies regularly of progress and updates on the eventual opening.

In the end, I got snubbed, disrespected, ignored, and lectured to by the owner.

Greg Wells stepped in, and with a single phone call, got the info needed to put it on the list.

So in the end after all my good intentions and kind efforts, I ended up looking like the official putz of slot car racing in the state of Mississippi and Greg Wells ended up looking like the ambassador to the hobby that he is.

Having said that, to answer your question, I got nuttin'.  :bad:

(rant OFF)

• spudboy likes this
Paul Wolcott

#8 Leon

Leon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

Best wishes on the grand opening. Hope to get up there soon.

Leon Haley

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

MG, you are the most consistent person (but not the only one!) in contributing to Slotblog's Raceway List and for that I thank you.

Sorry for ranting about this here, guys, but sometimes my pan o' frustration on this subject just boils over...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#10 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,821 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

It's my pleasure to try to help with the effort – it's something important to me in many ways.

It's your sandbox after all – go ahead and rant.
  • NSwanberg likes this

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#11 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

I feel your pain, Greg.

I've got nuthin' 'cept – "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#12 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

Isn't this the same area as Dollywood?

"Whatever..."

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

John,

You are correct – same town. With a very high tourist visitation during a large part of the year, which bodes very well for Mr. Browning if he takes advantage of it.

Gregory Wells

#14 bluecars

bluecars

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Greg,

Since this was John Browning's first post about the raceway I didn't think it would be on the list yet.

Robert "Red" Valantine :diablo: 

#15 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Red,

I actually try to get new raceways listed before they open so as to build interest. Doesn't always happen, but more often than not it does.

Gregory Wells

#16 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,856 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

I've been thinking about this lack of support on Slotblog's Raceway List - the migration to Facebook has been a major part of the problem.

Look at the OP, on the very first post the track owner immediately tries to steer the potential audience away from Slotblog towards face book: "Find us on Facebook and feel free to message me about the details of our big day."

To me, that sends a message: "I'm just using Slotblog as a stepping stone, go to Facebook and join us at the party."

That is nothing more than my personal opinion, but I will stand by my main point being many people have diverted to Facebook. I think they are making a mistake, and I'll bet all the race results from this new raceway end up on Facebook.

• Half Fast likes this
Paul Wolcott

#17 Mr. M

Mr. M

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

The Facebook page shows an orange track like layout without the esses I think.

Chris McCarty

#18 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:51 PM

One big reason people go to Facebook is because it's free! If they sat up a web page instead, they would have to pay a developer & a monthly hosting fee. Currently, you see a lot of companies having both a web site & a  Facebook page, sometimes both Facebook & Twitter. It's the small business or cottage industry companies that seem to gravitate to Facebook exclusively.

Here in New England & New York, currently there are several small 4-lane ovals that run "Reality Racing" mod & super-mod classes. They all use FB pages. When the commercial raceway was in Manchester, they weren't interested in being listed on OWH or later on Slotblog. The excuse I always heard was "A listing is going to bring in extra business to this raceway anyway, so why bother?." It wasn't until there was photo coverage of a few series races such as NECC, CASRA, USRA-North, & ANE AMCA that the owners had the raceway listed & a website built.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#19 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

I feel REALLY BAD! I completely forgot. The wife and I were on vacation Gatlinburg in late September and made it a point to visit Checkered Flag. We met John and his family, ran some laps, and took some pictures. Totally meant to post when we got home but the pictures ended up lost and we got busy prepping for holiday shoppers......

Anyway....John and his family are the real deal. Awesome people with a ton of passion to make this happen. The tracks that were there were great. I ran on the “Orange” and it was a blast. John indicated that there were more tracks to come. The only word to describe his location is WOW!

The Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area is one the best vacation destinations in the country. The Smoky Mountains, Dollywood, Guinness, The Aquarium.......the attractions are too numerous to list. One of the newest and most popular attractions is called “The Island” and Checkered Flag is barely a stones throw away. And the center he is located in is new, modern, and VERY nice.

Considering the location and his determination I think Checkered Flag will have a great future. FOR SURE I’m already making room for the slot box on our next vacation.
  • Wizard Of Iz likes this
Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

Electric Dreams Online Shop