Photo

I'll see your Champion, and raise you...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

...four Hemis and a (genuine) Russkit "23".  I'll have to go through them all and clean-up stuff, make sure it's all there, but this will be a fun project.  It's been a while since I've done Igarashis, and an NOS Russkit "23" is a rare bird at this point "fo' sho'".  Nice when people send me interesting projects like this.  I mean, I definitely like the newer and *actually* new stuff, but projects like this are a hoot.

IMG_3246.JPG

• Pablo, Jencar17, Tex and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:15 AM

I decided to do the Russkit "23" first with this group of motors, because the Hemis are all a bit different spacing-wise, and will all keep the stock setup, with just some cleaning to get rid of the really heavy rust.

For the good-old Russkit, the can bushing had to go, so I removed that, reamed the hole for a 2mmx5mm bushing and installed that.  Afterwards, I installed a set of nice and strong Mura D size magnets to complete the setup.  For the armature, I pressed a roughly .480" long stack, which is about the length of the stock stack minus the fiber end insulators, gave it a Tradeship commutator with mild advance 10 degree CCW and powder coated it.  For the wind, I did 55/29.

This wind is OK...kind of right on the edge with the stock magnets, even shimmed.  With the stronger Mura magnets, it's a whole other thing.  Really fast and torquey.  The only worry here is that the end bell is cracked right at the screw holes that hold the hardware/hoods.  This is less common than the more usual crack at the end bell bushing pocket, and I don't really have a fix for it...nor a replacement end bell.  Everything seems fine, so fingers are crossed!  So I added spring post sleeves and a set of my "secret weapon" .0015" stainless steel springs to finish-off the assembly.

***This "23" is a badass sonofagun.

IMG_3259.JPG

• slotbaker, proptop, Jencar17 and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:29 AM

Hemi #1 is done.

For those not familiar with these, they were produced by Igarashi and, while they are a "16D" size motor pretty much, there are many significant differences.

*End bell is made from a phenolic-type material...kind of a "Bak-O-Lite" type deal.  The screw holes are naturally threaded...so NO tapping screws if you lose one.  Good news is that these are far more heat-resistant than the Mabuchis and pretty tough, although brittle. 

*Brushes are round and small, maybe one and a half times the size of a pencil lead.

*Can is a one-piece, but formed from a thinner material than even the Mabuchis, which in turn are thinner than modern folded and welded ones.

*Magnets are a little oddly-shaped and held in by a pair of bent-metal clips.  They are also a bit stronger than the Mabuchis, so that's good news for rewinders.

*The end bell hardware is, to put it bluntly, a real PITA.  Getting the coil springs on there and then their metal retainer caps is a fidgety nightmare.  There's a 50/50 chance of sending a spring flying, and if that happens...good luck finding that thing.
---------------------------------------------

So I did a 60/30 here, with about the same 10 degrees or less advance.  These motors came with arm blanks and coms, but they were so rusted, I had to press new stacks.  Anyway, after doing the brain-surgery required to assemble the motor...she sings soprano!

IMG_3260.JPG

• slotbaker, proptop, Jencar17 and 4 others like this
John Havlicek

#4 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

That would look good with my red one you did for me...lol

• havlicek likes this

#5 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

But then again...you know I have a weakness for the old stuff.

• havlicek and Geary Carrier like this

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

Another of the four Hemis done, same wind 60/30.  With this wind and in the otherwise stock setup, this makes for a very fast motor.  A step below the Russkit "23" 55/29 with the Mura magnets, but not a very big step at all.

IMG_3261.JPG IMG_3262.JPG

• slotbaker, proptop, Jencar17 and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,856 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

Niiiice Hemis :heart: :heart: :heart:

• havlicek likes this