37 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

Three Brooklyn, NY, filmmakers, Johnny Freeman, Will Hall, and Robert J. King, started to make a documentary about Buzz-A-Rama and attempted to fund "a number of costs... before the film can be professionally finished" using the crowdfunding platform Indiegogo. Unfortunately, they only raised $331 (from eight backers) of their $10,000 goal and therefore closed down the fundraising request. Not sure of the timeframe when this was being done, but the closed Indiegogo listing indicates an "estimated delivery" of May 2013.

Fortunately for us, a late version of the film was posted to the Vimeo video site and that's what I'm posting here. Mike Swiss discovered the video and posted it to Buzz Perri's happy birthday thread. This stalled film effort deserves to get more exposure that it will get in that thread, so I am reposting it here so more will see it.

It's a crying shame this film couldn't acquire the funding to get finished and into distribution.

• slotbaker, Ramcatlarry, Pete L. and 14 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 SlotCarsten

SlotCarsten

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:09 AM

For me it is amazingly interesting.

I don't know what they could have done differently for a "professional" film.
But I guess the audience is very limited. 

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

• Cheater likes this

Carsten Grønnemann
poweredbylapmaster.gif
www.lapmaster.dk

#3 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

What an awesome film. Going to Buzzarama is on my bucket list and I just got more motivated!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:24 AM

Interestingly, this film has its own Facebook page: Buzz-A-Rama The Movie, started in February 2013.

A link to the Vimeo video above (described as rough cut 3) was posted a little more than a year ago, in October 2017, and is the only post to that page since the month the page was begun. 

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 elinsley

elinsley

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing. Going to Buzz's is on my bucket list and hopefully I could take a train ride from CT over to Brooklyn one weekend this winter.

Eric Linsley

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,363 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

"We sold a lot of axles..."  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

• CoastalAngler1 likes this

Paul Wolcott

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

I've not been there, but that's a very interesting video. How did this particular film become known? I was wondering whether or not some of the people shown were posters either on here or on OWH. 

I'd still like to hear what Buzzy has stored away. I've heard all sorts of rumors over the years regarding tracks, parts, and cars. With the property taxes he says he now pays, it's a wonder Buzzy is still open.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

I would assume the film became known via their Facebook page, their Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, and via the IMDB site.

At least one of the guys has done several decent documentaries and thus seemed to get some publicity in the filmmaking community when the Buzz-A-Rama project was announced.

Gregory Wells

#9 mreibman

mreibman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:06 PM

With the property taxes he says he now pays, it's a wonder Buzzy is still open.

Property taxes (edited) A LOT.

(removed link)

I have been there, but not since the '90s.

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer.
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding Womp.
More powerful than a 36D.

#10 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

That was truly amazing!

Thank you for re-posting to this thread; I might have missed it otherwise.

jb
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#11 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting this.   

I guess this is about as close as you can get to what it was like in 1965 at our local tracks. Lots of casual racing and people there for fun. About all I ever see are serious racers and not the casual interest like in the early days.

Matt Bishop

#12 NY Nick

NY Nick

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

I love Buzz and he has kept this hobby alive. Any given weekend and you think your back in the '60s.

Thanks for posting.

The bodies are not for sale.

Buzz body.JPG
  • MSwiss and tonyp like this
Nick Cerulli

#13 NY Nick

NY Nick

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

The King track with a Jail Door car (Buzz-A-Rama).

Attached File  newnewedit.mov   1.76MB   69 downloads
Nick Cerulli

#14 Slot-Racer

Slot-Racer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:07 PM

Wow, talk about vintage!

That video was interesting at the beginning. It made me think how everyone would drive if we had steering wheels on the track to control the cars instead of hand controllers.  :shok: 

Too bad it fell through. They all seems to be very nice polite people with their hearts in the right place. I should bring my wife to the Buena Park Raceway track and have her turn marshal. They would make such good money and probably crash all the time! Last time I brought there there everyone was more interested in her than racing! LOL.

Mario Damis

#15 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:05 PM

I've not been there, but that's a very interesting video. How did this particular film become known? I was wondering whether or not some of the people shown were posters either on here or on OWH. 

I'd still like to hear what Buzzy has stored away. I've heard all sorts of rumors over the years regarding tracks, parts, and cars. With the property taxes he says he now pays, it's a wonder Buzzy is still open.

Bill,

I had a chance meeting with Buzzy, in Chicago, in late '81, or early '82, when he visited Mark Mattei's bike shop, when Mark still had an American Red Imperial in the basement, and was open as a raceway in the winter.

He was in town for a pinball machine/video game, trade show. He looked real sharp, dressed in a three-piece suit and overcoat.

I remembered him mentioning that he had had the USRA Nat's, a few years earlier.

When the question of his real age came up, recently, I started poking around the 'net, as just for my own piece of mind, I was trying to figure out if he would have been 46, or 56, at the time I met him.

While Googling "Buzzarama," I was shocked to see an IMDb listing for a movie of that name.

And there was the following plot summary;

Buzz-a-Rama, by Brooklyn, NY filmmakers Johnny Freeman, Will Hall and Robert J. King, is a beautifully crafted telling of Frank 'Buzz' Perri's dream created in 1965 and still active today. Slot car parlors were all the rage in the 1960's. Families would gather as friendly competition took place on the slots. Over the years, the activities that engage young people have changed and people seem to forget about Buzz-a-Rama; a once famous Brooklyn haunt. There are the loyalist and occasional visits from people now bringing in their kids, but age and the cost to keep the shop open has put a strain on Frank and his family. We are sad when the favorite and fantastical haunts of our youth close, but will that be Buzz-a-Rama's fate?

I thought the slot car world would have known of such a thing, and I questioned to myself if it was for "real." I was intrigued, and poked around a bit more, and found the rough cut of the movie.

As far as your comment "With the property taxes he says he now pays, it's a wonder Buzzy is still open."

The $24K, he mentions he pays in taxes, is way, way less, than I pay yearly, in rent.

What's amazing, is that he's only open approx. 350 hours, yearly, probably no more than 80 days, total.

I finally got a chance to see all the footage, earlier today.

I'm surprised no one has commented of the picture that is shown of "The American Emperor." 

While a super-cool layout, it's obviously not the same configuration as the track featured in the "Buzz-A-Rama Bunnies" footage.

From the illustration I've seen of an American Emperor, I believe the Bunny track is indeed, an Emperor, and the other track is "who knows what"?

I was really touched at the ending, with the opera music playing, as Buzz pulled down the metal shutters.

It's a shame the filmmakers didn't have the common sense to publicize their undertaking here on Slotblog and the other slot car blog sites. They would have surely gotten more than $331 in contributions.

A great vintage photo from the Facebook page (looking a little bit like a young Ray Romano).

857371_217407638384364_969381889_o.jpg?_

• MattD likes this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#16 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

After my taxes comment, I remembered Buzzy saying his building had seven other store fronts. My guess would be he doesn't use them all, but that some are rented out for storage or other means. His annual rental income would  probably exceed the $24K  in taxes. That $24K figure represents a 50% tax hike in just one year. Taxes might be greater than $30K now.

Bill Fernald

#17 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

I obviously don't know his finances.

But if money was that tight, I don't see how he can close for the summer, and open for only nine hours a week in the nine other months.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#18 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:21 PM

i would consider him to be semi-retired, but not many people his age are still working. He's obviously done more than a few things right over the years.

Bill Fernald

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:14 AM

I have all the respect in the world, for Buzz, to stay open this long, but it's ultimately his decision to continue to stay in business, while semi-retired.

He owns a property that is worth who knows how many million dollars, and has a basement full of stuff, Scott Bader, Mark Mattei, and probably a few dozen other people, would love to get at.

How he proceeds is up to him.

Here's the info on the fairly recent sale of the building, of the mega-slot car raceway, of back in my day. Essentially the Buzzy's of the Chicago area, Tom Thumb.

Evanston is a somewhat toney Chicago suburb, but I don't think you can compare it to New York.

https://www.coldwell...et/pid_1206112/

You want to see yourself some taxes, hit "Full Property Details." LOL.

Mike Swiss

#20 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:16 AM

What a cool video.  :)

Ron Thornton

#21 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the real estate info Mike! 

I've been going to Tom Thumbs ever since my brother moved to Evanston after college (and then Skokie when they bought a home - Evanston is a wee bit too expensive!). Don't think I ever made it while they had the tracks, but bought lots of K&S there, and even a few NOS items... 

Talked a lot to Glen, their old slot car guy, who explained that they only reason they were able to survive was that they owned the building - but now that I see the taxes, I wonder how they managed... it was mostly R/C, skateboards and crafts after the slot fad died out, and in a huge store. They're actually still open, in a sort of industrial park in Skokie, but it's not quite as practical. 

Thanks for posting the video, too. 

Don 

#22 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

Tell you what... that's the best movie I've seen in a long time. I didn't recognize the actors, but Speilberg could learn a thing or two.

• Cheater, Roy Lievanos and Slot-Racer like this
John Havlicek

#23 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

The King track with a Jail Door car (Buzz-A-Rama.

Did I build that one, Nick?

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#24 NY Nick

NY Nick

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

No, I Built it hoping to race it someday. Kenny painted it.

n2.jpg

n1.jpg
  • Tim Neja and tjallen like this
Nick Cerulli

#25 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:09 PM

Cool!! When we were racing these regularly I built probably 30 of these and sold them through HVR.

Wondering where they all are! :)

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop