Photo

I protest, protest, protest... start vintage style racing!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

Only this way can we all dissect the the chassis of the past and get into the heads of the designers and enjoy the era truly being reminiscent,and build and become the new engineers of the sport,recreating parts like the recreating builders who build vintage chassis copies,the retro chassis are boring eventhough beautifully built,we can improve on the masters designs without eliminating all that intricate design work which is what makes them so beautiful,its like looking at the intro tonstar wars as the huge space ship passes before your eyes with all those pipes and its mechanical intricacies.

LETS GO WHO'S ON BOARD?  

Bruce Schwartz

#2 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

I need the inspiration,comraderie,building wars etc.

challenges from others who like me,and even have proxy drivers of said cars,maybe.

Bruce Schwartz

#3 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

Bruce I have no idea what you just posted or asked but my question to you is do you currently do any vintage or retro racing yourself?

• S.O. Watt, Tex, Maximo and 4 others like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#4 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

In MY perfect world, the current retro classes would have been defined and developed differently. But it's NOT my perfect world and I'm not the only person in it. I'm happy enough with racing the current retro cars.

• tonyp and Tim Neja like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#5 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:22 AM

That is one loooooooooooooooooong sentence!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#6 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:39 AM

Mike its not about that,its about just wanting to keep alive the art of vintage building,and especially those intricate beauties,hey there are plenty of kit cars on the roads of those old cars from the first car and on,I want to enjoy that in slot cars,for a rally or race or building wars/competitions/races.

Bruce Schwartz

#7 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

hey retro racing seems to be whats for the novice builder/racer,they should be able to step up to building vintage cars thats definitely a step up,otherwise were with retro becoming the coach potatoe sport,complacent,lacking any complexity and function like Bob Emott type builds.

Bruce Schwartz

#8 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

Its understood for commercial interests retro serves that purpose,but i never got into the sport to do what serves the finances of the manufacturers,but what fulfills my need to improve my expertise and sell as an independant builder whos goods have value(the lemonade stand concept,and this is what serves our youth inorder to move on to careers)so retro to break in,vintage replica building/racing for advanced or 2nd tier class.

Bruce Schwartz

#9 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

yea i remember starting out with inline and advancing to anglewinders,both building and racing.

Bruce Schwartz

#10 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

Bruce I have no idea what you just posted or asked but my question to you is do you currently do any vintage or retro racing yourself?

there were in the day builders who didnt race and racers who didnt build.

neither,thats why im trying to inspire a movement to inspire us the cobweb crew,oil the joints of us rusting but not rotted.

Bruce Schwartz

#11 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:04 AM

I am reasonably fluent in 3 languages, one of them being English but I still do not understand what is being posted here.

EM

• S.O. Watt, Maximo, slotcarone and 4 others like this
Alan Schwartz

#12 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

martini stop drinking,lol

retro doesnt do it for us die hard vintage aficionados,and im putting the call out there for any others like me who want to start finding reasons to put solder to iron and build again and possibly race,recreations of the vintage era.

Bruce Schwartz

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:34 AM

I am reasonably fluent in 3 languages, one of them being English but I still do not understand what is being posted here.

EM

I'm pretty conversant in English, and can get by OK in Spanish.  I can understand just a bit of Italian, *but my mom is probably ticked I don't actually speak it, but what I "get" from Bruce's post(s) are the following:

1) He's a real fan of slot car builders, past and present (*me too!)
2) He'd like to see more vintage chassis recreations, and development based on those builds.  Of course, in strictly performance terms, those designs were of the period and existed because of conditions that have changed, with modern designs reflecting the changes and surpassing the originals' performance.  Yep, there's a lot of "Don Quixote" going on, but I've been known to tilt at some windmills myself, so I get it.  ;)
3) As a fan of the great builders, he gets enthusiastic seeing the cool stuff going on here at SlotBlog.  Me too...or...guilty as charged.  Bruce seems at once to want to be involved somehow, or just to encourage others to share his enthusiasm.  He definitely has a unique way of expressing all this, but less-than-correct English/syntax sure isn't *just* a Bruce thing.

So, while I too am unsure about what exact "step 1, step 2, step 3" kind of thing Bruce is proposing, I get a kick out of anyone being that enthusiastic about slots, even if it's just "on paper".  Rant-on Bruce.  :)

• boxerdog, Geary Carrier, Greg Erskine and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#14 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

John just why cant we revive vintage slots like 1969 to 1972 cars and building/racing,thats my passion,and im hoping to drum up enough interest that it can start again,and give me and other slot coach potatoes missing that era and design incentive to get back into things and build and race again,just being a spectator doesnt cut it for me,neeeed the push retro has given the sport.

Bruce Schwartz

#15 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,045 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:07 AM

"why cant we revive vintage slots like 1969 to 1972 cars and building/racing"

right now, ain't no "we", it's mostly just you. But never fear, there IS hope! When I first became aware of retro racing and scratchbuilding(again) back in 2006(SoCal D3), my mind exploded! I had only JUST rejoined slot cars in general after a 33-year hiatus and bought my first flexi to race. Just finding slot cars again was GREAT.... but NOW I find out there are people SCRATCHBUILDING again out on the left coast! I HADDA GET ME SUMMA THAT! So, I gathered the parts(actually had parts mailed from Buena Park) and scratchbuilt my first retro Can-Am slot car. But what was I going to do with only one such slot car?... no other cars to race against. So, I built a 2nd retro Can-Am slot car! NOW, I could try and infect some of the locals by letting them run the other car against me in mini/pseudo races. Here it is 12 years later and retro racing in Texas is still going! YOU can do the same thing, Bruce! Step up and build the first two cars that meet your criteria! Plunk 'em down on the track and you and one o' your buddies duel it out on the track! Let 'em SEE and FEEL what you're talking about! If you're not willing to do that, it just ain't gonna fly.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#16 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:24 AM

Here's your formula, Bruce:

https://svra.com/com...vintage-racing/

Now all you have to do is get it to work with slot cars, good luck.

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#17 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

you left coasters got it all,on the cutting edge.

Bruce Schwartz

#18 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

tex funny i like the pulp fiction reference,thanks for the incentives.

Bruce Schwartz

#19 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

Here's your formula, Bruce:

https://svra.com/com...vintage-racing/

Now all you have to do is get it to work with slot cars, good luck.

i could imagine racing classic cars only repilcas

Bruce Schwartz

#20 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

Bruce, sounds like you should be involved with the Shinoda Reunion that's coming  December 1st.  Guys are building chassis that are  being placed under Shinoda bodies using vintage style techniques and parts.  

Also, dc-65 has a post in this forum where he's building a vintage chassis and motor you may want to look at.  You're not alone, people are building from scratch, and gathering together to "race" their creations.

John Stewart

#21 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

John just why cant we revive vintage slots like 1969 to 1972 cars and building/racing,thats my passion,and im hoping to drum up enough interest that it can start again,and give me and other slot coach potatoes missing that era and design incentive to get back into things and build and race again,just being a spectator doesnt cut it for me,neeeed the push retro has given the sport.

Bruce,

I think the vintage slot revival you are imagining actually has been tried and has been around for quite some time and is still being run in various parts of the country and it's called "Retro Pro".  Anglewinder chassis and cars very similar to the era you are referring to.  In fact it was recently a class at perhaps the biggest Retro race in the country, the Fall Brawl at SpeedZone in New Jersey. The only problem is that it attracts maybe 25% of the racers that the other major classes get so not nearly as much interest for several reason.......

Build a Retro Pro car or build the car you have in mind and maybe you can drum up more interest!  :)

• tonyp, Tim Neja, Mark Wampler and 2 others like this

#22 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

Bruce, sounds like you should be involved with the Shinoda Reunion that's coming  December 1st.  Guys are building chassis that are  being placed under Shinoda bodies using vintage style techniques and parts.  

Also, dc-65 has a post in this forum where he's building a vintage chassis and motor you may want to look at.  You're not alone, people are building from scratch, and gathering together to "race" their creations.

sounds interesting let me check it out,thanks retired talk show host,lol.

Bruce Schwartz

#23 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:01 PM

who can help me compile a photographic record of as many of the different chassis of that period for a reference for all to draw on to build.

Bruce Schwartz

#24 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:17 PM

http://scratchbuilt.com/

For starters

Jim Allen says "Remember, my focus is vintage slot car chassis that are soldered together, mostly brass. I do show other types and ages, but only in the quizzes or articles. By and large, what I like to post are brass chassis hand-soldered together from 1964-1972, and later, modern chassis, too. Repros of vintage chassis are also welcomed"

Martin Windmill

#25 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,765 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

Genie back in the bottle?
Un-eat the forbidden fruit"
Fly to the moon with the calculation power of an electronic clock?
Drive with a carburetor?

You can't relive the past, I have tried. (Drive a 1958 Ford.)
But racers are going to be racers.
The current Retro class is the closest to what can be had currently.
Write new rules and they will come.
Shout from curb and everyone just walks by.

• MarcusPHagen and boxerdog like this

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

Electric Dreams Online Shop