16 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:34 PM

Never thought of this. More heat than your Hakko coud ever dream of... watch the video and realize the surface area he's soldering and how fast it works... A simple and cheap mod...

• Pappy, Tim Neja and Slot-Racer like this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

Cool, thanks Phil. Looks like all I need is some 14 gauge copper wire and never have to buy tips again.

Paul Wolcott

#3 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

Good thread, thanks.   I exclusively use Weller guns

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

Good video Phil. In the past, I've seen several other YouTube videos on making wire tips for Weller guns. I think my old gun from the '60s is 100/140 W, but I'll have to look.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:14 AM

I tried all sorts of stuff as tip replacement material, and of course wire coat hangers  :D (*I guess thousands of people have as well).  Copper works much MUCH better, but I always formed a smaller "tip" something like the original tip shape, instead of a simple "U" bend.  Cleaning the copper with acetone before bending seems to be a good thing to do also.

John Havlicek

#6 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:29 AM

That's interesting. It seems to get very hot and do so quickly.

I had one as a kid and when the tip broke I used pliers to twist it together. As you can imagine that didn't work all that well. I wish would have though of this!

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#7 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

This is all I had as a young Lad. It worked great for me. I even use the weight of the gun to my advantage.

Martin Windmill

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:19 PM

I used a Weller gun when I was a kid to built brass chassis. But when I got into building brass locomotives for model railroading, I

found it to unwieldy. I changed to pencil-type soldering irons, and have been using them ever since. 

#9 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

My secret is out! been doing this since the dawn of time....

:crazy:

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#10 team burrito

team burrito

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:56 PM

i'll stick with my hakko 907, thank you.

Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#11 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:41 AM

To each his own.  Its a matter of preference.  I just  like a lot of heat from my big Weller gun.  If I want more heat, I have a plumbers torch.  I've never heard complaints of too much heat except being careless to loosen other solder joints by accident.  For those who like lots of heat,  a handy trick is use high temp solder for major joints and lower temp solder with  lower heat for more critical  joints near by.

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#12 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

When I was shown the light (Ungar solder irons) by my 1/24 racing friends, I did THIS to my favorite HO controller:

Weller Controller.jpg

It used to have a tip and the light was wired in parallel to the power delivered to the car. It's an old steel frame (Econo but it was the best at the time) controller frame. I don't think it needed the heat sink - it's just a special irony for the Weller handle.

I had an adapter for a three pronged grounded wall socket plug for the Twinn-K HO Championship race and it caused some strong vocal protests of concern from the folks that hosted the race when I went to plug it in! I "stole" 2nd place in that race, not daring to pass Tony Porcelli, who won it.

• Mike Patterson, Phil Smith and SpeedyNH like this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#13 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

What a cool idea!  :good:

Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#14 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

i'll stick with my hakko 907, thank you.

There's another video I was going to upload that reviewed a (very) cheap Chinese soldering iron and controller. The maker of the video at one time was using his irons for production of electronic devices and in his review he made a statement that was the irons (or guns) become an extension of your body and even the most minor changes in the iron causes the user to be uncomfortable with the new tool. You will eventually adapt to it.

So, yeah, if the Hakko works for you keep using it.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#15 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

A.J. Hoyt, I love your Weller controller.     This may turn into dueling pistols at dawn.

This chassis was soldered with a Weller. Its all I had in 1969.

Attached Images

• 100_9451.JPG

Martin Windmill

#16 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:27 PM

The Weller is surprisingly comfortable ergonomically, too; the Weller people must have done their homework. Just ask Nelson Swanberg - he borrowed it for his HO racing for years. It still has his "40 Ω" handwriting on the other side (I think it may be a custom wound resistor element).

I also re-purposed the two click (position) trigger (that used to be in it the Weller handle) for drag racing. You pull it to the first position (partial power) and nothing happens but you are right at the threshold for the full power contacts. You just "think" green light and it goes - affords really consistently fast reaction times. I suppose just a micro-switch would do that, too, if you connected it to a second spring that you could feel right before the switch clicks...

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#17 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

this is all very cool. I have three Weller Guns which I still use. but I never thought of using copper wire- I just keep cranking down the tips!

nice. thanks for sharing.   

speedy  

Steve Lang

Electric Dreams Online Shop