Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:41 PM

$ _1a1a1a1   AZGR logo 2014 copy 5.jpg

Wow! 10 Years of Black Friday Racing!!!

Vortex.jpeg

So, another one in the books. This year the weather was absolutely perfect with sunny skies and temps in the early 70's, a great day to have the garage open and the tent staying right where we put it.

As always I started setting up before the sun came up and the guys started wandering in a little after that and we took our time and had the track hot in almost no time.

We decided to run another All IROC All Day format like we did in the spring and once again it went over very well with lots of happy faces, and race wins by guys who might not have won if they had had to prep a car for this track that is only set up a very few times a year.

The format is working so well that we are using it occasionally in our weekly races as well. Some of us field a class or classes, providing all the cars and for some classes we each put in a car or two depending on who is there and what we want to run.

This time we decided to run some things we hadn't had out in a while...

First was 1/24th Can-Am

IMG_9581.jpg

Rick, Lee and I put out cars and 8 racers lined up for a close fight.

01 CanAm.jpeg

Rick Schonfeld @ 119+ just edged out Steve Hill @ 119  followed by Stan @ 116

Steve Hill sponsored this race and presented Rick with a cool combo tool.

Can Am winner.jpeg

Next we ran our old 1/32 LMP class.

These are cars from the late '90s and early 2000's with any motor and gearing and silicoated foam rear tires and no magnets.

Every car put out for the race was completely different body/ motor / weight. We had a couple of problems because some of them hadn't run here in a while but in the end it didn't matter, it was a Driver's race!

1:32 LMP.jpeg

This turned out to be another close fight! 

02 LMP.jpeg

Stan Ferris won with 105 over Lee Bumbalow  (104+) and KC Kennedy (104) and Steve Hill (103+) and me (103)

I sponsored this race and Stan won this future entry.

IMG_9629.jpg

Right about the time "Porsche" Mike Pyska arrived in his beautiful Porsche and everyone was taking pictures with it!

Porsche pics.jpeg

Time for a lunch break...

• C. J. Bupgoo likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

Time for JK Indycars

JK Indycar.jpeg

But before we go there I need to mention one very cool thing that happened, our old friend Rick Bachman came down from Anthem to hang out and just marshal races.

Rick's sons weren't able to come with but we were really glad to see him, it's been too long!

IMG_9590.jpg

03 JK Indycar.jpeg

Rick Schonfeld rebounded from his unusually less that stellar performance with the LMPs and cleaned our clocks (Where did that saying come from?) with the Indycars!

Rick 129 Stan 124 and Lee 122

AZGR Retro is any old Retro car with silicoated rear tires and the Bronze colored Scaleauto long can "take out" motor. We turn the voltage up and let em rip!

Retro.jpeg

Porsche Mike walked in with just his controller and demonstrated just how to drive these!

04 AZGR Retro.jpeg

Mike Pyska (127) Rick Schonfeld (125) Stan Ferris (124+) and me (124).

Lee sponsored this race and Mike drove home with an Outback gift card.

Then it was time for Robert Taylor's H&R Indycars.

Robert is a Friend on FB who may be the most prolific slot car builder of all time, I think he builds a new set of cars every couple of days. I can't keep up! I'm just glad I caught on to these before he sold them all off and started building something else.

IMG_9627.jpg

Slammin Steve Hill put a whooping on us all, the boy was on fire!

05 Robert Taylor Indycar.jpeg

I sponsored this one and Steve won the Baggage! 118 to Stan's 111 and Mike's 107

The last race was 1/32 NSR GT3

NSR GT3.jpeg

06 NSR GT3.jpeg  

We all had a tough drive with the car on the red lane, it wasn't set up for this track but hey, it was the same for everyone and it also became the key to the race.

Steve managed it just one lap better than me (100 to 99) and Lee and Stan both wound up at 97 and in that order. This is one of the series I want to bring back, they're a blast.

Mr. Hill also walked off with an Outback gift card complements of Lee

• cdtanner likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#3 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

So...

We tore down the tent and put the track away and our weary travelers took off for all the different points of the compass except Herb Morris.

He and I broke out more beers and the guitars and had a nice relaxing wind down to another awesome day of racing.

Before I go i need to mention Gino Schmid, KC'c Brother in Law who has been racing with us for a while he is very new to slot racing and so his name didn't pop up in the results posted above. Gino is a great guy, very quiet and has quite the sense of humor. 

I need to thank everyone who supplied photos, I'm not sure who took what after I stuffed them all in a folder and used the ones I liked the best.

I'll shut up now and leave you with some random pictures.

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9587.jpg IMG_9591 1  .jpeg IMG_9617.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#4 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:24 PM

I really like the way you extended the garage and it looks like you guys had a great day of racing.

WOW, I just saw the "squeeze" section, that gives a whole new meaning to "rubbing' is racing", that's got to be a blast!!

BTW... What is the lap length?

• Dayble likes this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#5 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

Jay,

The track is modular and consist of five sections which can be set up several ways, either three sizes of ovals which we never use except for the Keyhole and the Bank which I keep set up in one of the car bays for testing and to use as a "flat surface" for working on cars and piling stuff on. What we mostly use is two of the four road courses. The smallest road course is the Keyhole plus the Vortex plus the bank. That is for summer use here in AZ or the odd rainy day, that fits inside the garage with the door down and AC on. It's average is 46' down the middle and it gets used the most. The next two are four sections and use either the Straight Eight or the Pinch section both are 8' long and this makes for two very different configs but we don't do that often. Those average 62.5 ft.

The third is the full five sections that you see posted here the average is 79 ft. if we're in good weather and are going to set the track up we usually go big!

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#6 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

Road Course Setups

Road1   Keyhole:Vortex:Bank.jpg

Summer set up 46'