#1 SlowToyCars

SlowToyCars

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

Onyx backer Van Rossem dies

William Stox
There is no "Magic Bullet" It's one-hundred little items I do, each worth a thousandth of a second, that leave you wondering why you are a tenth of a second off the pace!

#2 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:07 AM

He was a character!
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#3 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

Read the two comments at the bottom.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#4 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

In addition to everything else, he supported slot racing with real money.

Cheers,
  • Cheater and Samiam like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

While certainly a character, he was easily slot racing's most prolific fund raiser, and many racers got to attend top events courtesy of his hard work.

May he Rest in Peace.
  • Cheater, Ramcatlarry, cdtanner and 7 others like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#6 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:49 AM

We need more slot car promoters on his scale! Is there any doubt of who is in the upper-right corner?

JPVR.jpg

Brad Blohm

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

I never met the man, but do appreciate what he tried to do (and did) for slot racing.

It is interesting to me that those in slot racing who did meet and interact with him generally have positive things to say about JP.

However his CV contains a great deal of negative history.

In any case, RIP, JP.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

I heard from JPvR via email several times, usually to protest that my race reports didn't contain the information that he wanted to read.

Most memorably I was the target of his ire about coverage of one of the USA-hosted ISRA worlds events where pit photos were published. JPvR complained that he only wanted "race results" published. At the time of his correspondence the racing in that event had yet to begin...

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I should apparently be flattered since certain of my reports on US events were copied to his blog without as much as a credit.

Perhaps we need more flamboyant showmen such as JPvR in our hobby/sport, without the surrounding legal dramas, but I am not sure.

Note of interest: JPvR apparently wrote a book entitled "Hoe kom ik van de ground?", in which he and a few friends reviewed and rated the various Belgian houses of prostitution.
  • Samiam likes this
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:10 AM

Yep, lots of warts in JPvR's CV.

IIRC, he got himself elected to the Belgian parliment(?) while in prison for running a Ponzi-like scheme because some stupid (IMO) Belgian law prohibited members of that body from being be incarcerated and thus secured his release.

Vague recollection here and I welcome posts from anyone who has more accurate info.
  • chaparrAL likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#10 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

If nothing else, he certainly put his money where his mouth was, when it came to flying slot car racers around the world to participate in races that he organized. I'm sure Howie can contribute a story or three here! I'm sorry I never got to meet the man, and the legend. 

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#11 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

Vague recollection here and I welcome posts from anyone who has more accurate info.

Contact Dokk.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

IIRC, J.P.'s legal woes were based on Moneytron, which again, IIRC, was some sort of matrix to predict the stock market..

I'm not sure if we were traveling on ill-gotten gains, or if the sponsors he drummed up, were legit, but he would pull together events like the one, with the pictures below, with maybe, two-four weeks notice.

I had to make special trips downtown, to get a last minute visa and passport.

J.P. Van Rossem flew us into Paris for the weekend, for a race in the hallway of an engineering school in Paris, racing non-wing cars, on the huge track shown.

Some of the highlights was the hiring of marshals from the nearby Catholic girl's high school.

After the regular racing, they held a race for the marshals, using wireframe chassis, Mura C-cans, with some sort of 12/15/20 arm, and late '60s Can-Am bodies.

Csaba was running the "repair shop," with up to five cars waiting in the queue.

J.P., Jan Limpach, and Dan DeBella were betting $100s on the race.

The girl with the white headscarf ran away with the race, because she grew up with a brother with a home track, and seemed to be the only one who understood the concept of slowing down in the turns.

post-173-0-05948400-1477375521.jpg

post-173-0-55513600-1477375249.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

1279193242.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

1279191189.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-7.jpg

• Cheater, Maximo, cdtanner and 5 others like this

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

There's no arguing that JPvR exerted a positive influence on international slot racing.

But his 'Moneytron" scam, I'll term it, generated $900 million in ill-gained profits. Should we overlook that aspect of his activties?
  • Pappy and tonyp like this

Gregory Wells

#14 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

I'm sure Howie can contribute a story or three here! I'm sorry I never got to meet the man, and the legend.

Yes, Howie has mentioned his travels funded by JPvR. IIRC the "Battle with the Gods" (2009) was one of his events. The late Dave Fiedler, Paul Gawronski, Terry Schmid, and Fred Hood were among the American racers invited.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.20.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.28.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.22.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.23.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.27.02 AM.png

I believe these photos were from Howie's camera but I cannot be certain.
  • kvanpelt likes this
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#15 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

There's no arguing that JPvR exerted a positive influence on international slot racing. But his 'Moneytron" scam, I'll term it, generated $900 million in ill-gained profits. Should we overlook that aspect of his activties?

Greg,

I copped the below off of his Facebook page. No surprise he seemed to succumb to lung issues.

Nice programme on VIER about Jean Pierre van Rossem (73), one of Belgium's most colorful and eccentric people.

When he was at his top, Van Rossem owned a yacht, two airplanes, one hundred Ferraris, seven castles, a Formula 1 racing team, and he sat on a few billion dollars.

He smoked three million cigarettes, slept with hundreds of women in the best hotels in the world, drank bottles of $3,000 wine, and indulged in pretty much anything he could get his hands on.
He's a former stock market guru, an economist, a published author, a philosopher, a public figure, a cartoon figure, a politician, and former member of Parliament. Do you feel insignificant yet? :P

And then he lost it all, even ended up in jail, and now Belgium's most sympathetic crook and guerilla intellectual lives in a small apartment in Nowhereville, Belgium, looking back at his extraordinary life.

This is not feel-good television, but a program about the fading of life, fame, status, love, money, and of all the things we first thought were so important. Part 2 is next week. I'll be watching. I've always been drawn to eccentricity and nostalgia, and this qualifies.

----

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
  • Mike Patterson likes this

Mike Swiss

#16 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:41 PM

Mike:

Do you have a link to the program on VIER? The only thing I can find is blocked for playing in the US.

Thanks.

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#17 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

No, I don't.

Mike Swiss

#18 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

PdL and JPvR got into a heated exchange of invective once on OWH. I'd tell you what was said but it was in another language. :)

Cheers,
  • Samiam likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#19 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

JPvR and I had many "heated" discussions on OWH and we frequently exchanged emails.

In December 2003 he sent me $500US  as a consolation prize for partaking in one of his online motor quiz/competitions, and offered to fly me over to Europe to compete in one of his "weird" races. :)

He may have been eccentric, but he was always a gentleman.

RIP, my friend.
  • Samiam likes this
Ron Thornton

#20 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

While at lunch, I Googled his name.

He's listed as a "Belgian guru".

I just glanced over his Wikipedia listing, and no mention of slot racing.

And when you click on "Images", nothing slot racing oriented until you go pretty far down the page., before you get to the the below.(add "slot cars" and you get some mildly interesting stuff)

As you would expect, J.P.'s "images" are like James Dean, mostly with cigarettes in his mouth.

Euroslot_1994_01_January_-_March_16.jpg

Mike Swiss

#21 4wheeldrift

4wheeldrift

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

I read that he passed away yesterday.

RIP, JPvR.
David H. Brady, Jr.
The older I get, the faster I was.

#22 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:49 PM

My most vivid memory of JPvR was at one of the Chicago Worlds races.

I was teamed up Boyt Johnson in one of the flexi enduro races. Now Boyt is an excellent wing racer, but was quite out of his element racing a non-wing flexi car and 10 minutes into a two-hour race the car was bent like a pretzel!....

We repaired it and as I was driving in my heat I heard JVvR as he was announcing the races say... "Raisin Garrett is the fastest man on the track now, but his teammate has him so far behind he could never catch up!" 

I started laughing so hard I had to stop my car on the straightaway until I could stop!
  • Cheater, MSwiss, Mike Patterson and 1 other like this
Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#23 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

"Jean-Pierre Van Rossem passed away at the UZ Jette. The ex-stock guru was 73 years old. Van Rossem had been struggling with his health for some time and was rushed from his apartment in Kapelle-op-den-Bos to the hospital on Tuesday. There he died yesterday. An overview of his adventurous life, in fifteen photos and seven videos."

The adventurous life of Van Rossem in fifteen photographs and seven videos [translation of Dutch original title]

Ron Thornton

#24 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

JP was larger than life. He was like a comic book character. He operated on a different level. Attending his racing events was like a carnival. You never knew what would happen next. He gave lots of money to slot car racers around the world because he wanted the best to be at his races. He was always looking for ways to make slot car racing bigger and better.

He changed my life in a major way with three trips to Belgium and one to Barcelona spain, introducing me to the european racers and transforming me into an international traveler. I owe him a lot, It was insanity, and he would torture us but in the end i loved it. I am happy to say that we became friends and I hold that dear to me. He has two great sons that I became friendly with also.

Thank you, JP, for being you. RIP.

24155_1323323037506_6087276_n.jpg
  • Zippity, Ramcatlarry, MSwiss and 3 others like this
Howie Ursaner

#25 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:38 PM

... owned 100 Ferraris...
He smoked three million cigarettes

There is a self-portrait of him Facebook, with a Ferrari 250GTO and holding a cigarette.

I guess that's how much he enjoyed smoking, and identified with it.

At the raceway last night, his name got brought up and that was all I needed to analyze the 3 million cigarette claim.

If he started at 13, that would have him at almost 137 cigarettes/7 packs a day.

Mike Swiss

Electric Dreams Online Shop