No replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:00 AM

The field was a bit sparse due to holiday plans; however, five slot heads showed up for a Triathlon at Electron Raceway on 12/13/18. Track conditions were good and racing was close and competitive.

First, I would like to announce a tentative rule change. Several of the guys have expressed a desire to open up the Trans-Am and Mixed race fields. Currently, the 67-69 Camaros/Firebirds have a great advantage because they are very light and low. Also, the Ferrari 458 seems to be the best choice for Sports Car due to its very large rear wheel openings that allow the rear tires to be set at the edge of the body rather than inboard. So, here is a tentative solution that we will try out for some period of time.

Trans-Am cars will be allowed to be cut down in height no lower than the 67-69 Camaros. Please do not abuse this rule. I do not want the class to become a Dirt Devil class. I will measure the height of my Camaro bodies and post the minimum height. In the interim, I think all competitors have existing Camaros/Firebirds they can measure. I intend to enforce this rule!

Wheel diameter for Trans-Am and Sports Cars will be a minimum of .95 rather than 1.0 inches

These two changes will allow the tentative rules to be tested without building new cars from scratch at this time. All that will be necessary will be to cut down existing Trans-Am bodies and use smaller diameter wheels. Use of the smaller diameter wheels will preclude modification of existing wheel wells. The smaller rear diameter wheels will also allow several other sports cars to take advantage of a track as wide as the 458.

Next, I would like to announce a change in the seeding procedures. In the past, the third seed started on the red lane, therefore finishing his rotation after four heats. This procedure allowed the first and second seeds to have a target to shoot for in their respective final heats. In order to avoid this problem, the seeding procedure will be changed so that the top three seeds run together in the final heat. (James suggested a solution to address the issue). I used the new procedure in all three races of the current Triathlon and it made for more competitive and closer competition.

Finally, a few observations are in order.

Ron chose to run a bevy of seldom/never used bodies.
          o The 70 Mustang body was not competitive with others as the Mustang is taller and heavier than the popular 67-69 Camaros
          o The Ford GT body has a narrow front track and although it is lower than the popular 458, I believe it is not as good as the 458
          o Although James has achieved success with his Jaguar XJR8LM, it may not be the best GT1 to run
     Marks performance with True Scale cars is improving
          o The Nissan R390 is quite competitive
          o His performance in Trans-Am and Mixed races were severely hampered due to the fact that the rear chassis clearance was set way to high. A correction will improve handling considerably

Trans-Am

Bob drove the most consistent race of the group and led the Trans-Am race from wire to wire. Rich and James battled it out for the second step of the podium. Entering the final heat, Rich had about a half lap lead on James and was able to maintain that margin to the finish. So, it was Bob, Rich and James for first through third respectively.

TA_Results.jpg

TA_Field.jpg

TA_James.jpg

TA_Ron.jpg

Mixed Race

Again, Bob ran the most consistent race of the bunch and led the mixed race from wire to wire. Looking at the fast lap times, it is obvious that the cars were quite evenly matched with the top four rides breaking the five second barrier. Rich, James and Ron battled it out for the remaining positions on the podium. Going into the final heat, Ron was in the barn with 89.9 laps. Both Rich and James were well within striking distance. Rich entered the final heat with 68.7 laps while James entered the final heat with 67.3 laps. Rich ran a bit conservatively in the final heat in order to avoid an unforced error. In the end it was Bob, Rich James and Ron for first through fourth respectively.

SC_Results.jpg

SC_Field.jpg

SC__Ron.jpg

GT1

The GT1 race was a real nail biter. All five competitors were closely matched. James was the quickest of the bunch turning a fast lap of 4.831. Mark turned in a very respectable 4.993 with his Nissan R390. Each and every heat was hotly contested with no competitor exhibiting a clear advantage. Going into the final heat, Ron was in the barn with 91.1 laps. Rich, James and Bob were all within striking distance. Bob entered the final heat leading others with 70.3 laps. Rich was only a couple of sections behind with 70.1 laps. James was third about a lap down from Bob. Richs 962 was a bit quicker than Bobs Enzo and Rich closed the gap fairly quickly. Passing was another matter entirely because Bob was in an adjacent lane. Meanwhile, James was closing the gap on the leaders. About one third of the way through the heat, Bob crashed in the 180 and took out Rich as well. By the time the two were re-slotted, James had caught the leaders. All three ran head to head within a few feet of each other for several laps. Going into the fish hook turn at the end of the pit straight the rear end of Richs 962 gently nerfed James Jaguar. The Jaguar de-slotted leaving James behind the leaders. Bob and Rich then battled it out for the lead. In the end it was Rich for the win at 93.7 laps. Bob in second place only two sections behind Rich and James in third only three sections behind Bob.

GT1_Results.jpg

GT1_Field.jpg

GT1_Ron.jpg

• Eddie Fleming likes this

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop