• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:41 PM

A little over a month to go until the 2019 SCRRA Checkpoint Cup swings into action at Buena Park Raceway!  The racing schedule will be the same as the major 3 day SCRRA events with 5 Retro races over 3 days on the BPR King track and Flat track.

On Friday, January 25 the opening race of the weekend will be Retro Anglewinder Coupe on the Flat track with tech inspection beginning at 9:30 AM.  F1 will follow, also on the Flat track with tech inspection approximately an hour after the end of the Coupe race.  The final race of the day will be Retro Pro on the King track with tech inspection beginning as usual at about 6 PM.  At the moment there is a possibility that a Can Am Plus race will be added to the program and if this occurs it will in no way interfere with practice on the King track for Can Am and F1 racers.  Generally the Retro Pro power is turned on at about 4 PM on Friday on the King track so no matter what happens, racers for Can Am and F1 will have their normal practice time.

Saturday, January 26 will feature Can Am on the King track and once again the routine will be the JK Hawk Retro 7R7R hand out motor format that we have used for the Checkpoint and Summer Western Classic for the last 2 years. Again, a maximum of (3) marked and numbered motors may be purchased and racers must run the motor they were issued at sign up.  BPR will open the doors at 7 AM and tech will begin at about 10 AM to accommodate motor break in.  Since this is a major SCRRA race, bodies will be checked for thickness and may be weighed.

The final event of the Checkpoint Cup will be F1, Sunday January 27, on the King track with tech inspection starting at 10 AM.  Hand out motors will not be used here and Can Am will be the only class with hand out Hawks and all other races will use the normal SCRRA rules governing motors.

The SCRRA will make an announcement shortly concerning sponsors, etc and wishes everyone a very Merry Christmas and a great New Years and Holidays!  :good:

• Mark Wampler, Jason Holmes, Tom Eatherly and 2 others like this

#2 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

I will be there. First trip in the motorhome. :sun_bespectacled:

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#3 Craig

Craig

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

Thanks to Dale Yamashita I will be racing the Checkpoint Cup race this year!

• Darkron9, Tim Neja, Mark Wampler and 8 others like this
Craig Correia
11/27/57-8/12/22
Requiescat in Pace

#4 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

I plan to be there. May come in early in the week.

I’m looking forward to seeing some racing friends I haven’t seen in quite awhile.

Would like to bring the Toyhauler but don’t think parking in the lot now would be a good idea...and no parking rv’s overnight on the street in CA.
Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#5 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

Looks like Ill be coming down to race retro pro and then flying back up the hill. 

• Tim Neja likes this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#6 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

I wish I could  be there!! But I'm moving next week and way TOO much on my plate to get ready for that!! You'se guys have FUN!! And post a bunch of pics for those of us that can't be there!! Good luck all!!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#7 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

I wish I could  be there!! But I'm moving next week and way TOO much on my plate to get ready for that!! You'se guys have FUN!! And post a bunch of pics for those of us that can't be there!! Good luck all!!

!!!

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#8 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

I plan to be there. May come in early in the week.

I’m looking forward to seeing some racing friends I haven’t seen in quite awhile.

Would like to bring the Toyhauler but don’t think parking in the lot now would be a good idea...and no parking rv’s overnight on the street in CA.

Really Bob.

I camped out in the parking lot  for the Nascar Enduro.  City Streets should be good for 72 hours.  The black out curtains to make it on the DL.  

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

Just a Heads Up we will try and Run a Can-am Plus race starting about 5:30 Friday before Retro Pro we will be using the 4002FK motor if anyone needs one I have 10+ left over from the Outlaw race New not use for this race I would trim the Brushes or change to trimmed Koford BF II or Trimmed PS brushes and an 8T pinion we will be running 13.6 RP power I hope to get a full field Plus I think it will make for a Better RP race like a warm up cars drive very close just about 3-4 tens slower maybe less  see you next Friday

jason

#10 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

I have a CA+ chassis ready, and a bunch of PS FK motors from the misadventures in GrF, but can't run bc of work.

(I need to hasten my retirement timeline, LOL)

the CPC is a full schedule and every race has a high attendance, so having the CA+ before RP is a good time as any.

since the RP and CA+ races are in the hands of participants, for the other three big events out here, maybe we can have the CA+ race on sundays after the F1?

• Duran Trujillo likes this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#11 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Been out of the loop for a while. What makes for a CA+?

Jerry Johnson

#12 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

CA+ are CA cars with smaller tires and RP bodies, IRRA  uses RH motor, but Jason wants to use PS FK.

PS FK is a little faster, but has small comm and large overlap, so shorten the motor brushes for reliable motor!

Untitled.png

Mike Low

#13 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Mike

Jerry Johnson

#14 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

Last year retro pro started really late and you guys are trying to add another class to fridays schedule? People wont race again because it got too late for them. 

• Tim Neja and Duran Trujillo like this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#15 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

James RP has yet to ever start before 7pm  and it won't start any later than that this year  

Jerry we will be running the 4002FK motor not the RH and I've said before if you don't have 1 let me know I do left over from the Outlaw race 

If You say you don't have a chassis most of our Can ams will work but you will have to lower the Front axle and change to 600-625 fronts 

#16 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Priority is the RP race, bc that is what most racers are prepping for and should be given enough time to be run without going late into the night as there’s the CA race in the AM.

Jason wants to run CA+ before RP so the racers get use to the speed, but I don’t think that’s going to make the RP race any cleaner.

RP is so quick that you just have to be looking ahead all the time and CA+ will probably not teach you that. It is a skill that is developed over many years of racing.

Fitting a fourth race in a day at the CPC is a tough deal. Since the event is a racer run race, the racers at the event should decide that evening.

Nothing against a CA+ race as I’m for one, it is just a scheduling problem.

• Duran Trujillo likes this
Mike Low

#17 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Jason if I remember right that was because the flat track races went so late. Im sorry you can count me out of retro pro if you add can am plus on Friday. I still have to drive 90 min home that night. Last year I broke half way through the a main, left at midnight with 4 heats left and by the time I got home they were still racing.

• Tim Neja likes this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#18 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

You Guys Win no CA+ race and James you will still start after 7 and get home after Midnight that's the way it has always been tried to get it RP to start at 5 if I pulled this race but was told tech must start at 6 or after so you waste 2+ hrs and You still get home late with or with out this race

jason

• Tim Neja likes this

#19 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

Since Bryan no long officially runs the RP race, it has been up to the racers that are excited by this event to make it happen. The SCRRA has no incentive to hurry the flat track races along on Friday.  So that being as it may, the RP race needs to be on a tight scheduled, everything must be on time, and you need a racedirector-nazi to make that happen. That hasn’t been the case and must be the case for the RP/CA+  event to happen successfully. There has been a case where a not fully legal car has won the RP CPC race. The race report has been lacking…etc.

I wish I could take this task on as I like this class and want to introduce the CA+ class also, but I work nights , so no can do for now.

Jason, just start the CA+ race at 4pm regardless of what happens on the flat track.

Have the king on RP power like at 2pm, no switching back and forth on the power.

Should be no need to test for CA, motors are hand out sat AM.

Mike Low

#20 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

... The race report has been lackingetc.r.

Someone get copies of the results to me and I can try to put a report together. Would be quite nostalgic 😁

I will be there all weekend.
Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#21 Craig

Craig

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Folks, There will be no CA+ race at 5:30. At 4:00 P.M. power gets turned up for RetroPro and tech opens at 6:00 P.M. With  RP racing starting shortly after that

In the past, we have gotten out later than the racers really want to and if a CA+ race starts at 5:30 that will push RetroPro way later than anyone wants.  Hence, they will probably not race RP.

On a side note. This was never brought to my attention and I'm not changing the schedule for Retropro.  

CA+ should be run Sunday after the F1 race.

• S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and Impala SS like this
Craig Correia
11/27/57-8/12/22
Requiescat in Pace

#22 Craig

Craig

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Someone get copies of the results to me and I can try to put a report together. Would be quite nostalgic

I will be there all weekend.

When I'm healthy I always do a race report Sir

Craig Correia
11/27/57-8/12/22
Requiescat in Pace

#23 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Retro pro tech should close an hour after the end of the last flat track race. Unfortunately there is no set start times for the flat track races. When you have racers like Jim Lange, Rick Linn, Rick Dodge, etc who race both flat track and retro pro, this seems to be the only fair way to do it.  

• Tim Neja and Duran Trujillo like this
James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#24 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

maybe, it would be easier to add thursday to run CA+ and RP... something to consider for future events

anyways, so schedule as was last year.

??? Jason, doing a CA+ sunday, if so, I have to start getting car together and go thru motors!!!

• Jason Holmes likes this
Mike Low

#25 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

Craig No one said CA+ at 5:30 it was to start at 5 no Qualifying round robin so we would have been done by 6:30 about the time you will be ending tech if your lucky Now Bryan ask me to ask Sam if the RP guys wanted to start at 5 I said okay I'll cancel the race for that so guys get out sooner and Sam told me to pound sand and I told him it seamed silly to waste 2+ hrs when you could add something else or start RP earlier 

move on

jason 

Electric Dreams Online Shop