• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

slowly but surely i have been working on building the model kit body onto the TSRF chassis. I did the website mod to the guide pin for better location and track power to the braids, Slot-it gears, my own brand of drill blank rear axle, and Pro-Track rears, Added lead weight as in the website, and this car ROCKS! on my favorite track, The Red Lightning, and on Dom's Raceway's hillclimb!

I say- it is a good balance between racing cars like the rtr BRM Porsche 962Cs (much slower, good out of the box), and today's much faster flexi cars, or retro Can-Ams. I really enjoy a chassis that can mount under a hard body model kit, and this one (TSR/TSRF, as mine is an older version) works well for these types of projects. a slot car that is of higher quality in appearance, and performs well. a good car for any beginner or "old pro" to enjoy. And who wants a hard body "scale" car to go at rocket ship speeds anyway??

Once i learned (via the TSRF website) how to properly tune these chassis, i am really enjoying them now. they can be tuned into absolute magnetic downforce rocket ships on plastic home/club tracks, as i always get the "what the heck is that??" when my 1/32 flies around a club track at near full throttle. And on the commercial tracks, with ascale body kit, i get the same reaction- "what is that?" as i reveal the mysterious chassis beneath....

and if you want to race on plastic sectional home/club track, this chassis, box stock, no weights and with traction magnet, performs perfectly on Carrera tracks. Just swap rears, if you want to (these ProTracks work well on plastic tracks too, with the traction magnet), or use the TSR rears, or get slip on Ortmanns. I have tried all 3 on both 1/24 and 1/32 TSR chassis, all work good, depends on how you tune the chassis.

An 8 lane field of these cars must be some sight for any racing fan to watch!! I say, it can't get any better than that, if SCALE is what you are after.

Pix to follow, now back into the cellar workshop to work on the body some more. Gotta get this one just so...... :D

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,272 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

It's actually too bad that the few companies making 1/24 scale slot cars with generally gorgeous and well detailed injected bodies (Carrera and BRM as examples) appear totally clueless in the chassis department... ;)
But this is why we sell lots of chassis kits... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#3 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:39 PM

Philippe, i agree. Carrera especially after being in the slot car business for approx 40 years makes horrible performing and way over engineered chassis, but really well done and very durable bodies. BRM is a different story, i think that they are fantastic in detail and good performers with lots of potential for improvements, a good platform to work with. A simple, flat plastic chassis, lots of room, compared to the over crowded Carrera chassis. With weights, a better motor and tires, these can be made to run well on wood tracks. Ok out of the box, better on Carrera tracks. A good car for a beginner, but kinda sorta expensive......but not much more than a good model kit (e.g. Tamiya) and a good rtr TRS chassis.....without the performance.

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

Electric Dreams Online Shop