2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,584 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

I was terribly saddened to learn today that one of Slotblog's earliest members, Don Hollingsworth, of Springfield, TN, passed away on February 13, 2018. Don registered at Slotblog in December 2006.

Don and I had another level of connection besides slot cars. My maternal grandfather was a well-known figure in Springfield and several generations of the Moores and the Hollingsworths had been great friends.

Don had a small oval track in his basement that had originally been set up in the local dealership in the '60s. I visited him at least once, where we had a lot of fun racing each other. He had a credenza along the wall and every drawer had a different set of slot cars. One would be stock cars, another Can-Ams, sprint cars in the next, etc., all of them were tuned to perfection for his little track, which I think was just three lanes. As you might image, you weren't going to outrun Don on his track!

It had been a long time since Don had ventured into a retail raceway, but he was very active at Slotblog for over a decade and freely shared his deep knowledge. He last posted in February 2017. I tracked him down via phone about a year and a half ago when I was in Springfield for a day or two and we spent a few minutes catching up.

As is so often the case now, there was not an informative obituary published when Don passed. Just date of birth and death, and the time and place of his funeral service.

RIP, Don! You will be missed.

• Dale B. likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

I never got to meet Don, but over the years we often made posts in the same threads. I always enjoyed reading Don's responses and posts. NoI'llll miss not reading them. RIP Don, you're now in a much better place.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Sad news indeed.

Don was always willing to help on many of my questions here at SB.

He purchased many things from me as well and was always a pleasure to deal with.

I will miss him. 

Joe Lupo

Electric Dreams Online Shop