22 replies to this topic

#1 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,627 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

I'm extremely sad to report that Thazer Raceway owner, and super-great guy, Dave Geehring, passed on January 4, after a short bout with cancer.

Dave will be sorely missed by his loyal group of South Bend racers, along with the ones from Chicago, where he raced often.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#2 philk

philk

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

RIP, Dave, thoughts and prayers for the family.

Phil Kreuter

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Man, I hate to hear this. I would have loved for Dave to have been more active on the blog, as he was a super nice guy, which he proved when I visited him in South Bend a few years ago. He was another one who just loved slot cars and slot racing.

RIP, Dave.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,848 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

Very saddened by this loss. Dave and much of the core of the Thazer racers and I go back to my earliest days of breaking race cars and getting in the way of the fast guys.

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

There's been no obituary posted yet; it's listed as 'pending,' but Dave's visitation and service times have been announced.

Visitation will be 10 AM to noon on Tuesday, January 8, with his funeral service immediately following the visitation, at noon.

The location is:

St. Joseph's Funeral Homes - Mayflower

824 S. Mayflower Rd.

South Bend, IN 46619.

dave.jpg

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

Wow! He looked pretty good when I last saw him at Mike's. Seemed pretty upbeat, too. One of those guys I loved racing Retro and hardbody with. A little scary seeing all these people I have known starting to fall by the wayside, both slot racers and vintage sports car racers from the past. 

Dave, enjoy your rest. I hope there is a slot track there. We'll all be there someday. 

• olescratch likes this

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

Dave's obit has now been posted online.

"David Alan Geehring 

South Bend - David Alan Geehring, 63, recently passed away surrounded by his family.

David was born October 29, 1955, in Cincinnati, Ohio, to David and Virginia (Cade) Geehring. David is preceded in death by his mother, Virginia Geehring. and niece, Vanessa Griffee.

On November 10, 1996, in Bethany Lutheran Church, David married the love of his life, Marcia (Skorupski) Geehring. She survives along with his father, David Geehring; children, Brian (Christina) Vargo, and Laura (Chad) Picking; grandchildren, Brian & Caden Vargo, Benjamin, Henry, Maxwell & Laine Picking; sisters, Cynthia Buda, Connie (Jim) Stephens; brothers, Douglas (Karen) Geehring, and Jeff (Carol)
Geehring; nieces and nephews, Christopher (Janet) Stephens, Jennifer (Matt) Bowes, Weston & Katy Buda, Indica Geehring, Jeremy Geehring , and Jarrett (Brandi) Griffee.

David and Marcia were the loves of each other’s lives. They reconnected at their 20-year high school reunion, became inseparable, and were married two years later. They had 22 wonderful years together. Their time was spent making memories 
with family
that will last a lifetime. They retired together, making plans to travel and watch their grandchildren grow up. Though he will be missed every day for the rest of our lives, his memory will be carried on by everyone who knew and loved him.

David served 21 years in the United States Air Force, rising to the rank of MSgt/E7. He started his Air Force career as a jet engine repair technician and soon went on to manage entire shops and eventually became a leading instructor. Over his career, he was stationed all over the continental US and did a tour in South Korea where he developed a love for Korean food. After his military service, he joined The Sweeper Company with his brothers, continuing a generational institution that started with their father. His hobbies were slot cars and models, a lifelong interest that started when he was a child. As he grew older so did his passion and he began opening his own slot car tracks, the latest being Thazer Raceway, one of many tracks he designed and built himself. David was an integral part of the model racing community and made friends globally through his hobby. 

Visitation for David will be 10 AM to 12: PM Tuesday, January 8, 2019, in St. Joseph Funeral Home, 824 S. Mayflower Rd. where a funeral service will begin at 12 PM in the funeral home chapel.

Memorial Contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, 130 Red Coach Dr., Mishawaka, Indiana 46545.

Condolences for the family may be made at www.sjfh.net."

Gregory Wells

#8 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,486 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

Very sad to hear. Had text from him just last week.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#9 ajd350

ajd350

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

Just got the phone call. Dave has been a regular at our swap meets for several years and just a really nice guy to work with.

We will miss him.
  • chaparrAL likes this
Al DeYoung

#10 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

Dave made me glad and proud to be a part of this odd fringe hobby because he brought a "normalcy" quality to the room - he made it more legitimate because he was such a great guy. I loved to be around him. I will miss him much!

RIP, Dave.

Never complacent - striving to race to ever increasing levels of mediocrity!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#11 Jeff Bechtel

Jeff Bechtel

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:00 AM

Dave Geehring was the one that got me back into slot car racing back in 1984. 

He was still stationed at Chanute Air force base in Rantoul. I was working in Champaign at the time and was looking to see if there were any slot car tracks still around. I looked in the phone book and it showed one called Slot & Wing. So I called them and asked if they had a slot car track. They answered that they did not but their father had one at the Slot & Wing in Rantoul. So after work I drove to Rantoul and happened to get there on race day. 

Dave was there along with Rick Stagen. We all hit it off really well and pretty soon I was racing there every week. Dave saw that I was hooked and invited me to go to Dan Thorne's track in Bradley, IL. to race wing cars, I-15s and Gp27s. I did not have either so Dave loaned me cars to race. It was the first time that I had raced on a king track. Soon Dave sold me those cars and that is how I got back into slot cars. 

Dave was a master craftsman and very meticulous in his building of cars and models. I still have the Intl-15 car that Dave made and sold to me. It is one of my prize possessions. Dave later opened his own track in Rantoul and we raced together many times at each others raceways throughout the '90s. I have not seen Dave very much after he retired and moved back to South Bend but we have remained friends. 

I regret not getting to go to Thazer Raceway and visit but that is the way life is sometimes. I will always remember the good times we had racing at each others raceways and all the bench racing. 

RIP, Dave, and Godsspeed. Till we race again, my friend.
  • Cheater, triggerman, MSwiss and 1 other like this

#12 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

I am sad and stunned to hear of Dave's passing. He was such a nice guy, never a bad word and such a lover of slot cars.

I will miss him and the members of our slot car community that are gone now.

Life is precious, live every day, be good to each other. 

• MSwiss and Samiam like this
Howie Ursaner

#13 Indiana Outlaw

Indiana Outlaw

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

Race on, my friend.

Doug Demski
The politics will not change

if you do not change the politicians;

refer to the definition of insanity

#14 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,848 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Reposting from one of the many tributes left for Dave's family...

"This is one of the last if not the last picture of the four of us together. Myself (David Salomon), Fred Fowler, and Dennis Clark. Great time in Chicago!! Thank you, Dave Geehring, for the fun times and great memories. Godspeed, my friend  May your family find comfort in the arms of an angel, as you have!!"

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.43.36 AM.png

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#15 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

So at a USRA race at Lee Richardson's, Dave walks over to Chuck Botta and me and points at a guy marshaling the deadman whose back is turned.

He quietly asks  "Does that guy smoke weed?" 

No, we responded. 

He deadpans, "Well, get him some, will ya?"

:laugh2:  :rofl:

Race in Peace, Dave.

• MG Brown, Jeff Bechtel, NSwanberg and 3 others like this
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#16 RodneyZ

RodneyZ

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

Thoughts and prayers. Rest In Peace.

Rodney Ziemek

#17 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,627 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:13 PM

When I worked in the toy and hobby department at J.J. Brodsky, Slot & Wing was a customer of ours. The owner, a retired air force Colonel, Bryant Thompson, would talk in revered tones, about his top racer, Dave Geehring.

As everyone alluded to here, no one loved slot cars like Dave Geehring.

One step into his raceway, and its decor, and one could figure that out.

His friend, Jim Laramee, always talked about how his goal was to have a raceway with one of every American Raceways tracks in it.
  • glueside likes this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#18 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

A pic from Thazer Raceway's Facebook feed...

dg.jpg
  • Howie Ursaner likes this

Gregory Wells

#19 Jeff Bechtel

Jeff Bechtel

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Yes! That was Dave's sense of humor. So deadpan but yet so right on the point. 

We would go to a restaurant after races and at some point the staff would be approaching our table with a birthday cake and start singing Happy Birthday to someone at the table. No one would have guessed that it was sent by Dave.  He did it every time we went out to eat. Such a character and such a lover of our hobby. So knowledgeable on every aspect of it.

• glueside likes this

#20 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

I was only at Thazer one time but I was treated like an old friend there.

Always enjoyed seeing Dave at the races.

RIP, Dave, 

• MSwiss likes this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#21 Terry

Terry

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

Still in shock... unbelievable...

Terry Watson

#22 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,373 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

Tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us, unfortunately.

Gregory Wells

#23 Thazer

Thazer

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Greetings,

I am Dave's stepson. I created this account in order to thank all of the racing community for their outpouring of support in the wake of Dave's passing. We had folks from all over drive down to pay their respects and it meant the world to all of us, especially my mother. Dave was the very best of people and the world is a lesser place without him.

Thank you,

Brian Vargo
  • Cheater, Howie Ursaner, Half Fast and 3 others like this
Brian Vargo

Electric Dreams Online Shop