2 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:35 AM

One of the things I noticed as a teen besides girls were cars. Every race I attended in CA a quick look at the faster guys real cars was always part of my memory bank load. Some of the guys drove smoking hulking heaps while others drove nice sports cars. I'll drop a few memorable ones below.

Mike Steube drove a real Mini-Cooper S, all tricked out.

Bruce Erickson drove a Camaro RS, brand new release that had pretty soft rubber on it as one night he left probably half the tires on the parking lot doing burnouts at the track in West Covina.

Dave Grant drove a Porsche 911T (white) if I recall correctly. He drove the full scale car like his slot cars, very quick.

Herb Wade drove his "Tiltin' Hiltin" Ford pickup. If Herb showed up you know that a friendly competitor was inside.

I never saw john Cukras' Mustang but heard it was gunmetal gray with a huge Mura decal on the doors.

Pete Zimmerman drove a kind of beat-up car, I did not pay too much attention to.

Dave Fortner from Tucson had a Mustang with a 429 that occasionally was our ride to CA races, about 4 MPG and a clutch from hell.

My 1969 MB made many trips to races in CA, had to carry extra plugs and various lubes. on one trip to Oakland we blew the insulators off two sets of plugs by running at terminal velocity. Dave still tells the story about the fuel pump points sticking in Death Valley, nightmare racer story.

Don Roberts of Phoenix used to bring his Cobra 289 down to Kapps Raceway for us to drool over. He won the SCCA National championship at Road Atlanta with it.

Jesse Gonzales
  • Cheater, garyvmachines, Geary Carrier and 1 other like this

#2 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:03 AM

Driving with Pete Zimmerman was an experience one would not soon forget!  :laugh2:

• Cheater, S.O. Watt and Jesse Gonzales like this

#3 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

In later years Mike Steube came over to Gun's in a Porsche 912, he and his wife made trek probably without AC as 912's were  4 cylinders.

Bill Rogers of Tucson used a variety of Warp enabled vehicles to blast around to races, the first was a Plymouth with a punch button automatic, then a GTX 440 and on to a Z28. Many hair raising stories.

Dave Fortner moved on to a Triumph GT6+

Those were the days.

Jess Gonzales

Electric Dreams Online Shop