7 replies to this topic

#1 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

I undertook a minor restoration for a friend. The Parma Brasskar from "back in the day" was a popular racer at the Collingwood Auction, site of the original Race Place in Farmingdale, NJ, back in the 1980s.

We ran Gp.12 motors with the Champion bodies. Thanks to the bodies being still available the build was easy...

A light cleaning of the chassis, a clean up of the motor can followed by some wrinkle-finish Rustoleum baked for half an hour in the shop oven and the chassis was ready to go.

The Champion Chevy Coupe was painted with the now fast-disappearing Pactra R/C lacquer paint and it's done.

DSCN0709.JPG

DSCN0706.JPG

DSCN0708.JPG

• Pablo, mdiv, B.C. and 5 others like this
Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

That's a sharp looking car Pete! i have a couple of those bodies. The pans on that chassis aren't the original brasskar pans. They are wide-finger pans that Parma released in the mid-'70s.

Bill Fernald

:) Insect jokes bug me! :)

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 21,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

It looks like they sold it at least a few different ways, with pans, both full and with the angle cutout and tapering in the rear.

24-slot-car-parma-brass-kar_1_3f04b7c842

post-173-0-72550800-1493950087.jpg

post-18-127793761908.jpg

24-slot-car-parma-brass-kar_1_3f04b7c842

• C. J. Bupgoo and Geary Carrier like this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,302 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

I stand corrected. I didn't know the pan style varied. Maybe Parma built chassis with whatever pans they had on the shelf at any particular time.  The brasskars I had seen all had pans like those in your next-to-last photo. Here in the Northeast, Dick P. was the brasskar king. :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

#5 mreibman

mreibman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

We raced Brasskars in the 80's as Gp12 with mostly stock car bodies. My favorite was the Buick Regal (still have one left clear NIP!)

Anyway, the original (by my recollection) pans were the ones shown above. I want to say around 1983-84, they switched the the newer pans witht he cutout and never went back to the best of my knowledge.

I can tell you, we used to cut a slot down the center section from the motor area to behind the front axle mounts. We also changed the bushings to 1/4x3/32 and ran Faas gears (64 pitch) when they were still full size. change the rear tires to the expensive ($3.00) camen orange and voila!

When we finally switched over to wings on our 12's, we left the brasskars behind. But they were a lot of fun.

Does anyone else remember the 1984-85 release of the "baby brasskar" for 1/32???

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding womp.
More powerful than a 36D

#6 blue&orange

blue&orange

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

We ran a "superwomp" class at The Race Place in Quakertown, PA in the '80's using the Baby Brasskars, Mura Wasp motors and wing bodies -- Parma made a shortened wing body.  I have two waiting for restoration.  

We originally ran the Brasskars with 12's and Can Am bodies.  I liked the format and was sad when the rest of the racers voted to go to wing bodies.  So often in slot car racing faster wins over formula.

Chris Matthy

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

Good to see new life breathed into one of these old chestnuts. I have a couple, and we ran them with X-12s and LMP coupe

bodies. They were a compliment to the class C-2 cars we were running at the time. Lots of fun, but I don't think they could

handle a modern 12 motor.  

#8 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,302 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

The full wide-finger pans shown above were originally released by Parma in the mid-'70s to be used with .078 wire monorail chassis which were popular for awhile. Since they were used on brasskar chassis until 1983-84, Parma obviously had plenty in stock from earlier times. I don't recall if these wide-finger pans were available in both .032 & .040 thicknesses or not. Mine were all .032.

Bill Fernald

Electric Dreams Online Shop