4 replies to this topic

#1 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

Two navigation systems resized.jpg

About 6 months  ago my 2004 Toyota XLS OEM Navigation partially failed. The remote which sits in a cradle or “Controller Holder” between the front seats didn’t seem to be working though  if I held the remote above in front of the Nav screen’s IR sensor the remote worked just fine controlling the OEM Nav, indicating the IR sensor in the cradle partially inop.  An electrical/electronic issue Toyota shops  couldn’t-wouldn’t fix. So I went for  full aftermarket infotainment replacement. The folk at a local car stereo shop were able to retain the partial functionality of the OEM navigation.

Still wanted to fully restore the OEM, but how? About 4 months ago I recalled that in May 2010 I’d parked the car in full sunlight on a 90 degree day. The cabin temp rose high enough to blow the top off a coke can resting in the cup holder spraying coca-cola all over the inside. Took 8 hrs for a detail shop to remove and clean out all remnants  of the coke making the cabin look new again.

Last month when the OEM quit completely working removed the remote cradle. It presented thick coke stains which probably over time damaged the controller holder IR sensor. Couldn’t find from any Toyota parts web sites a controller holder, but as I’ve learned if one wants a specific item sooner or later a Google search will find it; Sure enough last week an Ebay dealer in Arizona was selling the rare item.

With a replacement remote controller holder installed I now have two fully functioning independent  map/navigation systems with two screens. One final note the Avalon OEM stereo and heater control stack has a nice faux wood display. With another Google search I found a replacement bezel for the new head unit in China so now the Kenwood DNX 694S infotainment with Apple Carplay appears to be OEM.

Like 30 yrs ago when I was a commercial pilot flying charters all my aircraft had dual navigation systems.  

• James Wendel likes this
Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#2 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

I am reminded of a transAtlantic flight on BOAC (now BA) in a Viscount VC-10 ( a 707 size plane but with all 4 engines at the rear - two on each side)

About mid-way through the (overnight) flight a member of the cockpit crew, presumably the navigator, came back and, standing under a clear dome in the overhead, proceeded to take a star shot.  Bemused, I asked if the navigation system had failed.  No, he responded, it was just something they did as an extra check and to keep in practice.

Closer to the original point:  My 2015 Volvo has built-in nav system but I keep the Garmin left over from my previous car in a cubby - In some circumstances it appears that the Garmin data base can do a better job of locating obscure destinations.

EM

Alan Schwartz

#3 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:01 AM

Like 30 yrs ago when I was a commercial pilot flying charters all my aircraft had dual navigation systems.  

Mine came with a window and a map so I could follow the roads.  :D

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

#4 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

I bought a 2018 Camry a little over a year ago. The Nav in the car is app based and works through my phone. It did not work at all when I got the car. There was some glitch between the app and the technology in the car. It took Toyota over 9 months to get it working. I raised hell about it and the solution they provided was to buy me a Garmin to stick on the dash of my shiny 40 K car.
Shameful way of doing business.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#5 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

With electronics and  on board computers serving even basic functions of contemporary autos surmise instead of taking the family car to the local favorite mechanic or dealership for repairs, along with our malfunctioning desk or lap tops we'll be taking our cars to the local computer store for maintenance!

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

Electric Dreams Online Shop