• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:10 AM

As an experiment our local racing group is trying to add the 1/32 Revoslot cars as an additional racing class. Not being familiar with this manufacturer, I spent a little time reading about them.

The cars are unusual in 2 respects. The chassis are aluminum and while the chassis is comprised of 2 parts is implemented differently from the currently popular motor pod plus chassis approach.

The main chassis carries the motor gearing, and rear axle and extends forward to incorporate the guide. The secondary chassis, attached by damped adjustable machine screws, mounts the body and carries a front axle.

One article compared this arrangement to the “iso—fulcrum” chassis dating from the 60s.

This approach rings several bells for me. While the point is still open to argument, there is one constituency of the slot car hobby that believes the slot cars could be regarded as triangles – 2 rear wheels and a guide – and another taking the position that a functional front axle/wheel set up is important for stability. I have never built what could be regarded as a true iso-fulcrum chassis but have built cars with a limited vertical front axle travel, front axles which pivoted around the longitudinal axis of the car and others that use a scheme found in most of Rocky Russo’s creations – the swinging front axle with a transverse pivot point located well back on the chassis. All of these approaches have produced cars that in some instances were very successful and in other cases, absolute dogs.

I am intrigued by the Revoslot approach, partly because I like the idea of building an aluminum chassis (and the Revoslot axle carrying pillow blocks are available as spares) and partly because I’m a bit of fence sitter on the subject of the best function of the front axle wheel combination.

To this end I am looking for advice, counsel and comment:

Was the iso-fulcrum approach successful? Why did it disappear?

How do the Revoslot cars compared to similar more conventional approaches?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

EM

Alan Schwartz

#2 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

The Iso-Fulcrum cars were very successful, and they didn't really disappear, they just evolved. Instead of pivoting outer frame rails carrying the body and front wheels, the just hinged the front wheels independently off of the fixed drop arm, as in the A-frame(I believe Phillippe called his the diamond), and later the L-frame cars. The idea is the same, put more weight on the guide and off of the front wheels. From there they went to tiny aluminum and plastic wheels mounted on very small wire which hinged on front bumpers or outer frame rails, to today's flexible rubber front just mounted somewhere where they won't get in the way. Most casual observers can't even recognize them as wheels, but the rules still require them unless they allow the front wheel stickers on the body. At least the stickers look like real wheels!

#3 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

heck, in our high-end 'scale' cars in my old Oughties series up here, the front wheels were essentially stickers, and the front end depended on the outward-extending chassis outriggers rather than a rolling tire.  (Bill, remember ANE-AMCA? man, was that fun.),

I haven't seen many iso-fulcrum car since the 60's, although some things do come pretty close. 

back then in the club days, our homemade brass-and-piano wire chassis would run rings around a Roach when the chips were down, and my front wheels were fixed to the main frame and were pretty much only used in the corners. we used drop arms because sometimes we gripped up and pulled wheelies and also some of the tracks were not as smooth as glass, as one might say. nowadays, that sort of thing isn't as important as reducing some of the unsprung weight.

Steve Lang

Electric Dreams Online Shop