#26 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,192 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

David's sister-in-law asked me to post the following:

"Thank you for sharing your memories of David. It is so nice to get a glimpse of David through others’ eyes, especially those who knew him and his passion for slot cars.

Sister-in-law Michelle O’Connor"

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#27 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,192 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

The graveside service for David Liebenthal will be held on Saturday, January 26, 2019, at 12:30 PM at Honey Creek Woodlands, a natural burial ground owned and operated by the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, Georgia.

Those planning to attend are urged to dress casually and to be prepared for a walk in the woods, i.e. be sure to wear appropriate footwear. The cemetery recommends closed low-heeled shoes or low-heeled boots.

The Monastery of the Holy Spirit is an incredibly beautiful place and I would personally encourage any of David's friends to join Jacque, the family, and friends at his graveside service. Without knowing any of the details, I am sure his service will be one of the most memorable ones you will ever attend.

The cemetery is across the street from the monastery and Jacque indicates that people are welcome to walk the grounds and visit, if they would like. There is a gift shop with local foods (the foodstuffs produced by the monks are prized by locals like me), and quality religious items. The cemetery address is 2625 Highway 212 SW, Conyers GA 30094, (770) 483-7535. Directions to Honey Creek are HERE or use a GPS app like Waze.

Jacque will be providing food after the funeral at the house for anyone attending the funeral that cares to join her. Anyone unable to make the gravesite service (terrain, bad weather, etc.) is welcome to come by the house afterward; she expects to be back by 3:30 PM or so. The address is 530 Morning Mist Ct. Alpharetta, GA 30022, (404) 632-2460.

Jacque requests, "If anyone was thinking of sending or bringing flowers, please send a donation to the American Kidney Fund instead. Their web site is HERE.

Looking forward to seeing anyone who can make it!"

If anyone from out of town wishes to attend David's service, please PM me for local lodging info if needed. I also have detailed directions to the cemetery I can send.

Like Jacque, I hope very much that many of David's friends will be able to join us in celebrating his memorable life.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#28 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,192 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

Found a neat pic of Dave I wanted to bring into this thread. Don't know where it was taken, but I do know it was not taken very recently!

dl.jpg

• MSwiss likes this

Gregory Wells

#29 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Peace, Dave. I'm still using the Proformance Racing Inc mouse pad you sent me... actually right now.

John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#30 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

Greg,

Actually, I took that photo.  :D Outside Dreiser Hall on the Quadrangle at Indiana State University, June or July 1971.

David and I (and a few others) ran around together that summer raising hell, and some of the things we did weren't... well, never mind. Suffice to say we were young and foolish.

Here's another photo from the archive, this one either Al or Marty Pollack took (I think). Anyway it wasn't me.

6704 Ursaner & Gross G.P. Raceway.jpg

April, 1967; Grand Prix Raceway in the Bronx. That's David in the middle. I think you can figure out who the "suits" are... :laugh2:
They were "Team Russkit East" at the time.

#31 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

Godspeed, David.

• Cheater likes this

Pete Varlan

"You have a republic... if you can keep it." - Benj. Franklin

#32 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

Here are a few more photos I've found:

College days - April 1971  Terrible photo, and I may be responsible for it.

David - Apr 1971.jpg

Visiting yours truly in June 1979. That's David's lovely future wife Jacque in the middle of the photo.

David & Jacque - Jun 1979.jpg

Picnic in the park with Toby the dog - May 2016

David & Jacque - May 2016.JPG

If anyone else out there has some photos, please post 'em up!
  • Cheater, Pablo and MSwiss like this

#33 NJ Racer

NJ Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

Here is another photo of Dave far right at 16. Al Pollack posted this pic of us a while back here on Slotblog.

njracer.jpg

• Cheater and Samiam like this
"Ya gotta be in it to win it"

Ray Carlisi

Electric Dreams Online Shop