24 replies to this topic

#1 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

Fourteen years as a raceway owner, and many more as a racer, I've seen a ton of horrific wrecks, along with a bunch of entertaining ones, but the one I witnessed Saturday was in its own class.

More to follow.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#2 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

Don’t leave us hanging!

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#3 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

Nothing better than a good old "nut shot"!

Kevin VanPelt

"Hakuna Matata"

#4 swodem

swodem

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

My favourite, from ES24 practice session last year at our Nationals

1c5896f68d241d5f6e65927155302d5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Cheater, kvanpelt and munter like this

Steve Meadows

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

I'm sorry, but eating my burger while it was still warm, seemed more important.

What made this "wreck" crazy, was that myself, or no one else seemed to have really seen it/realized what happened.

And once I saw the aftermath, for a second or two, I thought my track was being destroyed by a mysterious force, boring a hole in my track.

Apparently what happened was that during the Hardbody, Ponystock, B Main, Mark Mattei lost his back window from his Mustang, on the back straightaway of my King.

Again, apparently, while it was still vertical, a trailing car caught the end of it, spinning it in a perfect circle, in one place.

With it being clear, for 2 or 3 seconds, it appeared to be a mini tornado, with me having zero idea what was going on.
  • Peter Horvath and glueside like this

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#6 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

I have to say Mike, of all your stories I've been entertained with throughout the years, that had to be the most disappointing! :crazy: :shok: Is there possibly more to come? :yes:

Now if you had said that Strauss character took one in the nads while marshaling the donut, you would of had me ROFLMAO! :laugh2:

• glueside likes this

Kevin VanPelt

"Hakuna Matata"

#7 n.elmholt

n.elmholt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

Slot 002 640x480.JPG

I was at a 1/24 Scale car race 10 years ago, where two car for some obscure reason got stuck on top of each other under a bridge - and they were seriously stuck :-)

not my car :-)

Niels, DK

• MSwiss, kvanpelt, munter and 1 other like this

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#8 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

I have to say Mike, of all your stories I've been entertained with throughout the years, that had to be the most disappointing! :crazy: :shok: Is there possibly more to come? :yes:

Now if you had said that Strauss character took one in the nads while marshaling the donut, you would of had me ROFLMAO! :laugh2:

Note, I didn't say entertaining....just unique.

Unique and mildly entertaining would be Jeff Goldberg and Rob Hansen dicing on Red and White, in about 2005, with Red Fox F1 cars.

Rob's car got locked on top of Jeff's, coming out of the Lead-on.

Jeff drove it full speed down the whole straightaway, and finally "threw" it off, in the Bank, where it flew about 20 feet, and slammed into my overhead door.

It might of been funnier if it wasn't my car Rob was driving. Lol

Mike Swiss

#9 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

Now that's more like it! :yes: :yes:

When it's not your car, drive it like you stole it!!! :victory:

Kevin VanPelt

"Hakuna Matata"

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

KVP,
You probably missed the Saturday night, Jeff had his non-gear side tire come off in the beginning of the straightaway, kept driving, had the whole rest of the rear axle assembly come out, and cut the braid in the bank, in 2 pcs., like a Ginsu knife.

Here's what the 5 minute repair looks like, 14 years later.

It look's like it's about due for a touch-up. LOL

20190116_132736.jpg

• munter likes this

Mike Swiss

#11 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

That King has strange wrecks all right, I got smacked hard in the arm with my own car while marshalling the 90.

My first reaction was "who is the so-and-so driving my car" until I realized I forgot to impound it during my sitouts :dash2: :laugh2:

• MSwiss and kvanpelt like this
Paul Wolcott

#12 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

Strange is the word!

In 1992 I had opportunity to attend the NATS at Zeppelin Hobbies in New Jersey.  I think Jon Laster won the open race that year.

During open practice I saw a G7 car come up the donut obviously flat out and somehow trip over its outside rear tire.  As it began to tilt and the guide lost the slot, the car stood up on its left rear tire, spun around a few times, and then jumped off the track and on to the floor – all without anybody or anything touching it.  The whole event couldn’t have taken more than a second and a half.

The only thing I can figure is that as the car stood up on one tire, the remaining drive train RPM caused it to spin around the centerline of the chassis.  However, almost immediately the offset mass caused what was left of the angular momentum to whip the car off to one side, enough to get it from the blue lane onto the floor.  G7 cars are powerful! :shok:

In another instance I was visiting the 2003 NATS at The Track in Gaithersburg, MD.  I don’t remember who won the open, but I do remember Mike Swiss was there.  :laugh2:

Anyway, during one of the seemingly endless races a driver ended a heat with his car at the end of the main straight, just before the bank.  He marked his position with a credit card in the slot and took his car to the pits.

As it turned out he was just a tad slow getting repairs done and had to run back to his driver position as the next heat started.  He must have figured he could afford to sacrifice the 30 feet or so by putting his car back on the track at the driver position.  He only forgot one thing.  :huh:

Open cars will accelerate to most of their top speed within 30 feet.  This one did, at which point it collided with the stationary credit card sitting in the slot.  The credit card exploded into a shower of plastic shards almost reaching the ceiling at least 15 feet up, then rained down on the track while many of us, and the driver in particular, were trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

Thankfully, there was no damage to the track, and aside from the small notch in the center of the diaplane, there was no damage to the car, but it was a pretty spectacular thing to see…  :dance3:

• kvanpelt likes this

#13 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

At the 93 Nat's, the same thing happened to Craig Landry in the Pro Main, except he hit a 1/16th" thick aluminum, Champion tech check.

His car was damaged.

• Steve Okeefe and kvanpelt like this

Mike Swiss

#14 Highnoon

Highnoon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

Wrecks, wrecks, my favorites. Cleveland raceway across of old Euclid beach park. Famous for most power of any of the old Cleveland car model series raceways in the late 60s, had a shoehorned track with not much room around it, going into the bank around 2 feet from edge of track was a white porcelain non operational sink, raced their a few times and never paid much attention to into I get wrecked in the straight and got puntened into the sink.

Racing at old Brooklyn raceway in a weekly thingie race and guy next to me had a bullet dyna-rewind 26d and was fast but kept passing me on the outside and getting nerfed, of course he catch’s me right at the banking and over the bank and right into the restroom, luckily no sink or toilet.

Parma raceway, figure 8 before the king track, hardbody Ohio state stock car championship, guy launches right out the front door out into the street as the door was open, no real cars hit his car, marshal gets it throws it back on, no problem.
  • Phil Donaldson, munter and elvis44102 like this
Gary Cooper

#15 elvis44102

elvis44102

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Just by coincidence my favorite crash happened at the same old Brooklyn raceway..Parma racer Dan Bloodworth seemed to have a few racers he did not "get along" with...Dan was marshaling on the 220 foot track when a racer de-slotted and started yelling Red! Red!...Dans reply was we aint got no gray!!

whatever lane he put the car in the car embedded itself through the outside track wall at least an inch and a half...two puncture holes and the car speared the track lol!

Gary you were probably at that race at Brooklyn raceway as well
John Wisneski

#16 muncriefdion

muncriefdion

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

attachicon.gifSlot 002 640x480.JPG

I was at a 1/24 Scale car race 10 years ago, where two car for some obscure reason got stuck on top of each other under a bridge - and they were seriously stuck :-)

not my car :-)

Niels, DK

Note to self: when building custom track, measure 2 cars stacked so when a crash like this happens, at least one comes out!

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Dion Muncrief

#17 Grant G.

Grant G.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

DSCN2111.JPG

I witnessed this one at Frank Sarkela's track in California circa 2012. This was on the king after the lead on to the main straight. Almost as if it came in for pit stop, 

• MSwiss, kvanpelt, munter and 1 other like this

Grant Goerner

#18 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

Once upon a time at Crash & Burn a car found a slate soldering block underneath the bridge on the first lap of a race. The block was recovered in fine shape, the car didn't recover. No pictures were taken, few tales were told.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#19 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:00 AM

Really?

• kvanpelt likes this

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion & Retro Can-Am Champion

USSCA 2017 GTP & GT1 & Retro CanAm & 4" NASCAR & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

#20 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

At a Tri-State USRA race a car came off in the donut and hit the marshall in the 90 and stuck to his back. The gear had pinched the material in the shirt betwen, no matter what was tried it wouldn't back out and had to cut the shirt to remove it.

• kvanpelt and elvis44102 like this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#21 mreibman

mreibman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

My memory is a little scant, but confirmed by both another racer and the raceway owner recently that my car did this.

110' American Orange. Not Just for Kids Hobby center, when it was still in Drexel, NC. Probably about 1982-83.

Practicing. I suspect it was a womp - pro stock. 16d motor, either parma 16d or Johnson 222.

Didnt blip (or not enough) into the bank.

Car goes up the banking, over the plexiglass fence, past the pepsi machine, and out the window of the raceway (2nd story height in back). Lands in gravel parking lot. upright and on its wheels. I do not recall any damage to car, though.

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding womp.
More powerful than a 36D

#22 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

The most spectacular I ever heard of (but didn't witness) was at Grand Prix Raceway in Cincinnati.

Rande Marshall did a G27 motor change for Mike Leap, not knowing the new motor was a hemi wind and wired up opposite.

When the heat started, with Mike's car in the Bank, it backed up, spun 180 degrees, and slipped down, and into, an adjacent lane.

Mike called "rider" as his car ran in the opposite direction down the straight.

The driver on that lane, Bob Huey, didn't stop, and their cars had a head on collision in the middle of the straightaway, IIRC from the story, knocking both guide tongues off.
  • Phil Donaldson, kvanpelt, glueside and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss

#23 Phil Donaldson

Phil Donaldson

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

Mike

I remember that wreck like it was yesterday,Bob borrowed a motor from me since I didn't make the main.The wreck destroyed the Camen Size 5 motor I let Bob borrow.I don't remember what happened to "Big Mike's" car but Bob's car broke the guide and after fixing that and replacing the motor he went on to finish 3rd.

Team Trend

#24 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,314 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Even before the internet, word of that wreck got around real quickly.

While I missed that one, I had a front seat for a comical wreck at Grand Prix, in either the '86 or '87 Pepsi 500 Pro Main.

I was marshaling the Finger, which was near the race director's pulpit.

I noticed the whine of the motors seemed to be slowing down, gradually, almost like playing a 45 record on 33 rpm.

Pretty soon the cars were crawling around the track, full punched, on about half power.

All the swearing and yelling, from the drivers, caught the attention of Joe Hutton, behind the counter.

I then saw him look over at the race director, Sue Barber, who looked back at him, with a pained "What do I do now?" expression on her face.

Joe slowly "slinked" from behind the counter, and along the back wall, to the director's stand.

As I saw him starting to reach behind it, I yelled to "my guy" in the Main, John Olsen, "John, he's going for the switch".

Too late.

Joe hit the toggle to switch to a fresh battery bank, and like a 1 second burst from a machine gun, all 8 cars hit the wall.

Then dead silence, for a second or 2, until the first car got reslotted, and the race resumed to whining motors, and whining drivers at the panel, grumbling about what Joe had just done.
  • Zippity, Phil Donaldson, NSwanberg and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss

#25 Jim Difalco

Jim Difalco

Mid-Pack Racer

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

1981(?) Nats in Inman, South Carolina. I was pitting for fellow Elmsford racer Paul Gelman. I did a motor change during a heat and found that his only motor did not have a really good surface to solder to on the can. I changed the motor in time put it on the track and then said "whatever you do Paul do not hit anything". The power came on and his car promptly backed up, jumped out of the slot into the slot of another racer going the wrong way. 2 seconds later they had a head on collision in the finger right in front of me. Needless to say Paul's motor popped out and the other car broke it's guide flag.

He neglected to tell me the motor leads were straight and not cross wire.

Jim Difalco
Difalco Design
3075 NE Loquat Lane
Jensen Beach, FL 34957
(772) 334-1987
askjim@difalcoonline.com

Electric Dreams Online Shop