12 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

Lately, I get email notifications for new private messages that don't exist here...or old ones that I haven't received for a while.  I check my PMs (*which I've cleared except for a few current ones) of course.  Anyone else getting this kind of thing?

John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

I should also mention that, I guess it's possible I'm also not getting messages...although I wouldn't know if I'm not getting some messages of course.  It seems that for me...there's some weirdness in this area.  I'm on Chrome BTW.

John Havlicek

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

I haven't experienced that, but a few days ago I got a carbon copy text on my flip phone that Doug Azary sent me months ago thanking me for his Pablo Cucaracha, with a photo of him holding it. I thought, Doug's getting on in years and he's losing it, so I simply said, "You are welcome." Then he texts back "Huh?" :laugh2: Blame it on sun spots, or Russian slot car spies.   :)

Cheater will tell you to do a cleaning with "Advanced System Care" if you're not on a Mac. Use the free version and scan it a couple times in a row. Whenever I've had glitches, it has worked well for me:

https://www.iobit.co...temcarefree.php

• Cheater likes this
Paul Wolcott

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,531 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Not seen this and have had no other reports... yet.

Do you have another browser installed? If so, use that for a day or so and see if anything changes.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

No such shenanigans here yet... I think John's just losin' it...

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 Champion 507

Champion 507

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

Pablo,

I'm quickly approaching 67 but I have not lost "it" yet!  :sarcastic_hand:  :laugh2:  :crazy:

• Geary Carrier likes this
Doug Azary
"We offer prompt service... no matter how long it takes!"
"We're not happy unless you're not happy"
"You want it when?"

#7 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

Ive gotten in the distant past old friend i hadnt spoken to in emails suddenly writing me saying its nice to hear from me,or other things it seems i sent but didnt,ive heard that some of these unscrupulous hackers get into your address book and try to hack people in your contacts,so if that happens then possibly something has infected your computer,do a reset from well before your incident maybe 3 or 6 months,and if you made changes in that period youll have to reinstall those changes but only if you can trust those software items,sometimes they can be the culprits,its worked for me,good luck,and you never know how these hackers can mess with your computer,eventhough john problem sound odd for general viruses or malware you never know,my thoughts although im not super computer literate.

Bruce Schwartz

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,531 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

Just a thought... it's not unknown for emails to get hung up in a server somewhere on the net and to get sent out at some later date, sometimes a very much later date.

• havlicek likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 11,152 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

I recall one email I got more than a year later than when it was sent. The guy was located only 15 mi. away, he should have picked up the phone instead. :good:

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#10 elvis44102

elvis44102

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Lately, I get email notifications for new private messages that don't exist here...or old ones that I haven't received for a while.  I check my PMs (*which I've cleared except for a few current ones) of course.  Anyone else getting this kind of thing?

This probably has nothing to do with anything on the client-side (users) and everything to do with something within the server-side of the email application... might be peculiar to certain email providers and or even phone service/data providers.

• Cheater and havlicek like this
John Wisneski

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

Just a thought... it's not unknown for emails to get hung up in a server somewhere on the net and to get sent out at some later date, sometimes a very much later date.

That appears as though it *may* be what's going on Greg.  I have gotten email notifications of PMs over the last couple of days that are for PMs I've already responded to.  So, if I log-in here and see a PM notification and respond...I may also get an email notification some days later.  My personal email works correctly though, and I get emails...and respond to them all in a timely manner.  It's only email notifications from this site that seem to sometimes (?) get sent later...I think.  For example, email notifications from Facebook work correctly.  This all only started happening over the last couple of weeks.

John Havlicek

#12 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

OK, I admit I been fiddling with your mail.

What are ya gonna do about it, Earthling?

th.jpg

• havlicek, Rotorranch and elvis44102 like this
Paul Wolcott

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:10 AM

Well, at least the issue is a consistent one.  I (mostly) get the email notifications late...like a day or so...sometimes more, so I just log-in here to see if they're old ones or new ones.  No other sites' notifications do this BTW, so it's just some "ghost in the machine" thing that will probably heal-up down the road.

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop