13 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Someone sent me a snippet of info Bill Pinch included in a newsletter, suggesting it might be posted here. After reading it, I agreed and intended to do so.

However, my 2011 iMac died a bit after midnight on Monday last and I have been going seriously nuts buying a new iMac and trying to restore everything from my back-up, a process that has not been anywhere as smooth as the last time I had to replace my main desktop almost eight years ago.

The bottom line is that I cannot find the item that was (I think) emailed to me. Nor can I recall who sent it...

Hopefully the helpful member will see this post and send me the text again so I can post it here on the blog.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Along the lines of what I assume are Bill Pinch's comments that you are looking for, a few days ago, the new owner of the raceway sent out an email that is very encouraging.  It said:  

I am happy to provide the new schedule for the next several years at the same location and hope to see you all return for a new season with added hours and events!

(he included the raceway's schedule here)

Thank you, 
Michael Rapp
(he included his cell phone number here)

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:02 AM

Is this it?

For those of you who might be keeping up, we have just cleared "hurdle #2". Tonight we will complete the sale of my hobby store (TheRaceway.biz). Judi spend the biggest part of the past two weeks in Tennessee looking at houses. We are not settled on the precise location, but she looked in Cleveland, Maryville and Ooltewah/Chattanooga. She was also able to worship at several congregations and our final decision will be based largely on a combination of where we would like to serve and housing costs.

Only one hurdle left - selling our Florida home. Of course, we won't put it on the market until we know where we're headed.

Thank you all for the well-wishes. I hope our paths cross soon!

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

Yes, as best I can remember, that was the info the helpful Slotblogger suggested I might post here.

Thanks!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Courtney S

Courtney S

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

Cheater just FYI I'm now a realtor here in Chattanooga would you mind passing my info to Bill I would be glad to help him find a new house and we can talk racing! 

423-762-8287

Courtney Smith

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

Will do, Courtney.

But I have to be honest and tell you I have a very low opinion of most realtors! LOL.

Gregory Wells

#7 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

Just saying...

The 2018 MacBook Air Retina that Terri got me for Christmas is a delight to use.

Might consider one of those?
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:24 AM

Too late!

I have already purchased a new 27" iMac quad-core i5 computer and am trying to restore it from my Time Machine backup.

The main issue is that Time Machine didn't restore my desktop files (damn it!), which is where I kept most of my recent files.

I'm going to try to remove the harddrive to recover the stuff I need. Wish me luck...

Gregory Wells

#9 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

My 27-inch iMac died a horrible death about two weeks ago and they could not recover anything from the HD. Thankfully Time Machine saved me. I went with a SSD this time as this is the second spinning drive that has gone bad in that machine.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#10 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

I am not really unhappy that I got almost eight years from my second iMac, a mid-2011 unit.

What irritates me is that a lot of my files were not included in Time Machine backup, probably due to software corruption.

Gregory Wells

#11 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:24 PM

Sometimes you can put a bad HDD in a freezer and get stuff from it if all else fails. I've actually done that.
Steve Lang

#12 Mr. M

Mr. M

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:49 PM

Greg, I am the one, message resent by email.
Chris McCarty

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:14 AM

This was the info I lost...

NEWS & NOTES: This will be my last Weekly Update as ownership of the raceway has passed on to Mike Rapp. He has also secured all your email addresses so he will be able to keep you all up-to-date on all things slot car racing going forward.

I hope you will be patient with Mike as he gets his footing and you will continue to support slot car racing in central Florida. You can contact him at the store number (321) 600-4951 or his email address: jagnbenz1@gmail.com.

Gregory Wells

#14 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

I can't figure out how this thread drifted into "failed hard drives" but FWIW, I use Acronis to create a disk image about once a week. It's the ultimate backup because I can use Windows Explorer to drill down to any file in the image file (including files in other user's folders).

In my case, It takes about eight minutes for Acronis to create the image file of my hard drive that has about 100 GB of data on it. Acronis compresses the data to about 48 GB. The images go directly to an external hard drive as they're being created.

During the week between creating images, I zip any work I do and upload it to the cloud.

I guess the way I do it is old school.

Electric Dreams Online Shop