• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

John; Your methods are impecable. Not everyone has the high-tech equipment available only in a motor building shop. Your approach

should inspire others to try building motors, something I would be ecstatic to see more of. I always loved building motors.

• havlicek and Geary Carrier like this

#27 team burrito

team burrito

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:05 PM

got some Mura spring cups

mura spring cups are the best. i like using the white mini endbell, copper brush hoods & a ball bearing.

• havlicek likes this
Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#28 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:48 AM

mura spring cups are the best. i like using the white mini endbell, copper brush hoods & a ball bearing.

I agree.  The little bit of extra room at the tower on the JK end bell can make all the difference.  While the stock hardware is OK, upgrading that is a good thing too.  ***Neither the JK or the PS end bells do a very good job of holding onto a bearing or a bushing though, and taking at least some measure to better secure them is a very good thing!

• team burrito likes this
John Havlicek

#29 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

I used to make those for George Mura... it was one of the 1st outside jobs Sonic performed. I believe the order was something like 125,000 pcs.... along with the 250,000 armature spacers....those days are long gone...

• team burrito, Phil Smith and Greg Erskine like this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#30 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

Phil, do you recall what the spacers were made of? I recall they were a light gray material that was quite hard but not aluminum, more like ceramic.

Jess Gonzales

#31 team burrito

team burrito

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:31 AM

I thought i'd post one of my motors I just rebuilt. I love doing these old school builds just for kicks. I found these parts & decided to build a new motor. I first stripped the can, soldered in a ball bearing & painted it with black wrinkle paint. I cleaned up the armature & re-dye the stacks, otherwise it's completed untouched. The endbell is the stock version with buss bars & over/under springs. I couldn't find any stock Mura magnets, so I installed some quad magnets instead. I put in a pair of Bigfoot brushes & broke it in for a half hour. It actually sounds pretty decent on the bench.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If you're interested in buying this motor, look for it this weekend on eBay (shameless plug). It's the last one I have in my collection. Burrito out (poot poot).

• Jencar17, havlicek, C. J. Bupgoo and 1 other like this
Russ Toy (not Troy)

#32 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:27 AM

Sweet lookin' motor Russ, and those are cool setups.

John Havlicek

#33 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:22 AM

The spacer I made were Aluminum. I made these parts in the early 80s through the sale of Mura by the Paisley's. After Dee and Woody sold I think I have made less than 5000 parts total for Mura.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#34 team burrito

team burrito

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

Sweet lookin' motor Russ, and those are cool setups.

Thanks, John. The black wrinkle came out just right. It was lucky I found the Mura endbell in my stash.

• havlicek likes this
Russ Toy (not Troy)

#35 team burrito

team burrito

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:55 PM

Well, I had this motor on eBay, but decided to put it in this chassis instead. Should be a fun car on the track.
58654672_10210648925017812_8998705703510

• Eddie Fleming, C. J. Bupgoo, Geary Carrier and 1 other like this
Russ Toy (not Troy)

#36 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

Phil, the spacers on the blanks I have were from the first days of 007 laminations, way before Bob Green went up to SF to work for the Muras. So mine are prehistoric or pre-Phil:-) I've been cobbing together blanks for kicks using mabuchi lams and Koford shafts with K&S aluminum tubing cut spacers. I am allergic to many epoxies so have not done any coating but may try JB Weld as all it does is give me hives then wind some more arms using PK comms.

I spend my balancer money on a new car for my wife and marrying off my youngest daughter so that will have to wait, no place in AZ worth racing at so I'll just keep tinkering and having fun.

Jess

#37 Highnoon

Highnoon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

My first racing experience was at Parma Raceway in 65-66 on their figured 8 with Hardbody stockers and Indy cars. The elder fast guys, Buzzy Miller, Bob Wargo, Denny butcher established guys ran 36d, in wire perminter frames. The motors were all hand wound and built by bob wargo. The young kids, like me, ran 26d from a company out of Detroit, Bud Stordahl, Dyna-rewind. We did better in Indy as the 26d fit better. But those 36d ran like a train. We ran silicone coated tires and had ground our bodies down to .010-.015 and then coated the inside with silicone sealant. Took hours to make a light body that was crash resistant. My favorite was a 65 ford fair lane, white of course, didn’t hav to paint it. We also ran the 26d’s in thingies and raced a few races up in Detroit and at Brooklyn raceways and Rocky River raceways in Cleveland Ohio. But they never caught on.

I then started reading car model magazine and moved to running 1/24 sports cars on Parma’s 1/32 Backtrack. I would build the road racing cars they had in the magazine. Then they killed the 8 and put in the king. The end of 36d, 26d, stockers and Indy cars,

Then it was all Mura, all the time. Didn’t miss the 36d but do miss the 26d, it was like the big block to the mura small block.
  • Jesse Gonzales likes this
Gary Cooper

Electric Dreams Online Shop