New diagnosis... I may be down for a while

27 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

I had another episode of what bit me at Motown last race day. This one was far more severe. This time, I got to my regular doc. (last time, he was sick and I saw someone else) This time out the symptoms were severe enough and also ongoing at the time, that I had no problems describing what I was feeling. Within a couple minutes, he said "it sure sounds like vertigo to me". Vertigo! Naturally, I've heard of it, but didn't know a blessed thing about it. He read off a list of symptoms and it was like a shopping list.......check, check, check, check......and so on.

So, he took my BP......pretty high, looked into my inner ears and said....."yep, fluid in the inner ear" He gave me a Z-Pac for the possible infection and anti nausea pills and told me "three days of no activity and particularly no sudden movements" He also said to avoid changing altitude until we chart the course of the infection. This AM, I took my BP and it was almost back to normal, the rather severe nausea has gone and the other symptoms are there but somewhat abated.

I was shocked that something like this could crop up so suddenly and so severely. Last time at Motown it was pretty bad for a while, but this time it hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. My Doc said "Yeah, that's about the way it often happens. It can just come out of the blue" He also said that I've probably had this inner ear thing for a while but the symptoms may have been pretty mild. Thinking back that may explain some things.

So, feeling better but it may be best for me to miss this month's race at FTH (or) if I can at least get there, I should probably just admin but avoid racing. The 6,000' elevation change it what Doc is most concerned about. (Atomo pressure on the inner ear) If I can't make it, I know everyone will pitch in and make it work.

So.....watch on here for news and pass the word to anyone that doesn't use the 'net. As always, feel free call or text with questions. (I won't be doing anything else for a while)

Vertigo!  who would'a thunk it?

Jim Fowler

#2 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

I’ve had several bouts of vertigo over the last 20 years caused by an inner ear disorder. It’s not a lot of fun and I certainly sympathize with you Jim.
Here’s hoping for a quick resolution!
  • Pappy, MSwiss and Eddie Fleming like this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#3 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:35 PM

Just curious, are you taking a "statin" prescribed medicine?

When my doctor prescribed one for me, it caused severe muscle pain and VERTIGO! I stopped taking it and after a week it wore off and the Vertigo stopped as did the severe muscle pain.

My research has shown it be be dangerous.

maXiMo

David Ray Siller
Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingie!

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,584 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

Dang, Jim! Take care of yourself please...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

YMMV - I've been on a statin for almost 25 years with no ill effects - also take a calcium channel blocker for BP - routinely 110/70

In the "Surprise!" department - was watching a movie on television a bit over a month ago - realized that I was having difficulty seeing the screen and soon discovered the cause - I was seeing double.  My first thought was a TIA or minor stroke and, even though a quick check revealed no other impairment, my MD had me in the hospital overnight for an electronic living autopsy.  CAT scan, MRI, carotid ultrasound, echo cardiogram - all clean.  The radiologist remarked that my scans were remarkably clean for "someone of your age."

A couple of weeks later, by which time the symptoms had disappeared, I managed to see a neuro-opthalmologist (There's a speciality of whose existence I was blissfully unaware) and was told that the cause was typically a cranial nerve spasm, quite common in "someone of your age" and it typically resolved, as had mine, in 2-4 weeks.

Take away?  That phrase "someone of your age" repeated twice in a short period  What else is in store?

EM

• boxerdog likes this
Alan Schwartz

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

OK Jim, take care, thanks for the good news of finding the problem.

Git-R-Done :)

Paul Wolcott

#7 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

That phrase "someone of your age" repeated twice in a short period  What else is in store?

I'd be bragging about it, never thought I'd live as long as I have. I'm 68 and I'm bragging about that.    :laugh2:

• Tim Neja likes this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

#8 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

Getting old (er) is a bugger :(

Whatever you do, don't stop taking any of your medications just because someone else said they were bad or you read so on the internet.

My BIL quit taking his "statin" because he had read that they were bad. He recently suffered another 2 heart attacks and had to have another stent inserted :(

I have been taking statin for the last 10 years with no side effects :) :)

Ron Thornton

#9 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

Thanks guys. On the Statin meds.....no. I take no meds at all unless short term and prescribed for a specific ailment. On the "someone of your age" thing......yeah, me too. And my Doc said the same thing when relating that my BP was high yesterday. When I took it this morning, it was exactly in the expected range for age 70. I'll take it every 8 hrs or so and will call him tomorrow as instructed and report in on that as well as progress on symptoms. I've been up for 4 hrs now and the nausea has not returned. The spinny, dizzy, disorientation is still there but not too bad. I just have to be careful when getting up to go get a glass of water not to stand up quickly or turn a corner too quick.

Since I don't have anything else to do, I've been reading up on Vertigo a little on the famous and always trustworthy internet. The symptom descriptions are almost exactly what I was feeling, especially yesterday when it was really bad. Doc told me yesterday, that if the infection clears and the BP goes down which so far it has, I can ease back into moderate activity late next week. He did advise against skiing anytime soon because the rapid movement and fast elevation, direction, and terrain changes might spur another episode. Heck sometimes skiing can be a little disorienting at the best of times.

Jim Fowler

#10 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

Jim,

So sorry you are going through this. I know what it's like. 

When I had it the first time it was crystals that grew in my inner ear. They had to put me in a special chair and shack me really hard to get rid of them. The second time I had it it was so bad I had to go to the ER. It was blood poisoning that time, The third time I also had to go to the ER that time it was heart related AFIB. 

Don't mess around with those symptoms  as it can be something more serious then one would think.

We would hate to lose someone as talented as you.

Take care.

Regards,

Gregory VanPeenen   

• Tim Neja and JimF like this

#11 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

I'd be bragging about it, never thought I'd live as long as I have. I'm 68 and I'm bragging about that.    :laugh2:

Know what you mean - 83 in a couple of months and about 8 years past what I thought was my "sell by" date!

EM

• Pappy, Zippity, JimF and 1 other like this
Alan Schwartz

#12 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

Don't mess around with those symptoms  as it can be something more serious then one would think.

Regards,

Gregory VanPeenen   

Thanks Greg, I know what you mean. I have been an athlete much of my life with skiing, running, etc. I always thought I was bulletproof and so I neglected or ignored what I thought was "small stuff" The last few years, I've wised up. This is sort of a wake call and if it doesn't show even more improvement by tomorrow, I'm sure we're going to progress to the next step in diagnosis. I won't ignore it this time.

• Tim Neja and boxerdog like this
Jim Fowler

#13 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

Wow, sorry to hear this Jim. Glad you're getting better. Getting older, as they say, ain't for sissy's. Take care.

Tom Eatherly

#14 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

Good to see you've got a proper diagnosis and a path forward for healing!! Yeah--at "our age" we can't ignore ANY symptoms of anything!! IF we want to grow older--(than we are now)  we really have to watch out for our selves!! Modern medicine is why I'm still alive and pulling a trigger!! Good to see you're on the mend!! I just turned 67--and want to turn 97!! So let's all say a prayer of thanks to God for allowing us this time to play on Earth!! God Bless 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#15 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Sorry to hear about this Jim.  We're not kids any longer.  Sometimes I don't think older people in general are not aware of their  current physical health until something drastic happens.  I know I've taken my  health for granted.  For my take, root causes are the focus.  Symptoms indicate deeper causes and I'm sure you're getting all kinds of advice.  Big Pharma is out there with all their medications, but my advice is to take a look at "functional medicine".  Its focus is on root causes.  Otherwise, prayers for you, my friend.  NorCal needs you, so get well soon !!. :D

You can quote me.

-Mark

#16 Richard Matthews

Richard Matthews

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:44 AM

A friend of mine had an inner ear fluid/vertigo problem and was a long recovery. Follow Drs orders and get well soon. 

#17 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:56 AM

Thanks ya'll. Just took my evening BP reading. Today, 8AM and 9PM were both well into the range of where I'm "s'posed" to be for my age. If tomorrow AM is in the same range, then that's a potentially dangerous indicator minimized. I still have the dizzies but not as bad as before and the nausea returned briefly for a bit in early afternoon but not bad and went away quickly. I was even able to eat a little bit of magic soup today and gloryoski!! it stayed down. All good signs I think.

• Tim Neja, Mark Wampler, Greg VanPeenen and 2 others like this
Jim Fowler

#18 parocket

parocket

ASSCC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

I had BPPV vertigo. Which can be corrected with a certified physical therapist. Might want to try and find one and discuss your symptoms with them. They do special maneuvers to get your crystals back in the correct position in your ear. Took me six visits to get them back in correct position..

#19 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

My wife had a bad bout with vertigo about two months ago. The ER doctor did the head and neck maneuvers on her and they made a big difference. Still had some symptoms but she was back to normal in about a week. You can do it yourself, instructions are on the net somewhere.

#20 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

What's in the magic soup...???

David Cummerow

#21 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:34 PM

My wife Julie suffers from Vertigo on occasion!  She swears by those head/neck manuevers to help re-align the crystals!! You can find them on googling --  prayers for healing buddy! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#22 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,701 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

When I had vertigo they initially thought it was a heart problem. After monitoring me for 4 hours hooked up to sensors in the hospital they turned me loose with a bottle of pills to cure the vertigo. I'd take a pill and immediately have to sleep. This repeated for a week till the symptoms disappeared. One of only 2 times I went back to teaching not tired from doing too many things on what was supposed to be vacation time. Get better soon.

The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#23 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:04 AM

Not to contradict any medical professionals, but EVERYBODY down here is sick with similar symptoms, although not as pronounced as Jim's. Our race turnout dropped 50% this week. It doesn't seem like 20-30 people would develop vertigo independently within a week or two.  It started right around the weekend of the retro race

For lack of more knowledge, we are calling it Fowler Flu. 

• Richard Matthews likes this
David Cummerow

#24 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:48 AM

What's in the magic soup...???

Progresso Chicken Noodle. extra chicken broth and water, spinach, chopped fresh tomato and onion.

• Richard Matthews and boxerdog like this
Jim Fowler

#25 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:03 AM

Not to contradict any medical professionals, but EVERYBODY down here is sick with similar symptoms, although not as pronounced as Jim's. Our race turnout dropped 50% this week. It doesn't seem like 20-30 people would develop vertigo independently within a week or two.  It started right around the weekend of the retro race

For lack of more knowledge, we are calling it Fowler Flu. 

Ahhhh,,,,,,,,my 15 min of fame at last.

• Pappy, John Streisguth, Richard Matthews and 1 other like this
Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop