4 replies to this topic

#1 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

I see there are two 21k motors with different "magnetic effect" ratings. One is 230gcm@12v and the other is 340gcm@12v. Can someone explain how they will drive differently?

Steve

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

Steve,

I could be wrong but I always thought the gcm rating was a torque rating, not a magnetic effect rating. The 230gcm motor is probably a 130 short can motor and the 340gcm motor is probably a long can 180 motor.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

#3 zipper

zipper

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:55 AM

Just what was printed on old Mabuchi motor boxes

:1399_614.jpg

Pekka Sippola

#4 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

Okay, so bigger number, stronger mags? Surmising that the higher number pulls harder and gets better braking?

#5 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

I see there are two 21k motors with different "magnetic effect" ratings. One is 230gcm@12v and the other is 340gcm@12v. Can someone explain how they will drive differently?

Steve

I think you're talking about the "speed 3" and "speed 12" motors.  So-called 'long can' motors with 21.5k rpm ratings at 12v and 230g/cm and 340g/cm torque ratings respectively.  These are, as far as I know, closed motors (i.e., no holes in the cans).  That means you will get zero or almost zero magnetic effect, which refers to downforce caused by the motor magnets' attraction to STEEL braid.  There are numerous (several NSR's for example) motors that have large vent holes, leak magnetic flux, and do provide such downforce... but If you're running on a track with copper braid there is no "magnetic effect" whatsoever no matter which motor you use.

It would be reasonable to assume that the motor with 340g/cm likely has stronger magnets but differences in the gearing needed to get the best times might negate any potential brake improvement.  These motors are very low speed items best suited to 1/32 cars.

Pete Varlan

The most radical of revolutionaries inevitably becomes an arch conservative immediately after his revolution succeeds.

Electric Dreams Online Shop