2 replies to this topic

#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

It had been a while since we'd been able to pull the gang together for a good Saturday race at The Doghouse in Gilbert, SC. March 30, however, proved to be a day of reckoning.

We didn't gather a large crowd on this day, but racing is still racing -- regardless of the number of entries. We had a group of 5 for the day...

The Gang.jpg

From L to R: David Erickson, Jay Pittman, Richard Sylvester, Dan Parker, Jim Beasley

(Missing racers: too many to mention!)

The weapon of choice on this day was classic Jail Doors. We have more than one builder bold enough to attempt a Jail Door -- but I'm not one of them. Thankfully, I have Don Weaver to construct a race-worthy chassis for me. He has also built a Jail Door for others in our group, too. Great craftsman, great cars. Here's how the lineup looked from underneath...

Chassis.jpg

A nice set of painted bodies to fit the Jail Doors, even though some might not be period-appropriate (We're not strict on some things, unless a certain deviation from the norm tends to kick everyone else's tails.)...

Bodies.jpg

From L to R: Jim, Dan, David, Jay, Richard

We race three heats, using the best two to determine the winner. Since Jail Doors are not expected to be a fast as some others, we set ourselves a 4.2 second breakout time. David started the day with, by far, the dominant car. Richard was able to keep things close enough to keep David honest, yet David prevailed in the first two heats, which was enough to take the title for the day. In fact, his car was so strong, that he was the only one to actually break out below the 4.2 second lap time, costing him at least a total of three laps for the day...

Results - 20190330.jpg

Dan suffered a dying motor in the second heat, causing him to drop back several laps. With a new motor installed for the final race, he came back strong and proved to be a contender.

Congratulations to David Erickson on a great day of racing. He holds the Jail Door trophy --- for now. We've had discussions of another Jail Door race in the near future using a spec body (identical to the Porsche used by David). We can only hope that we can pull the gang together again soon.

Thanks for viewing, and good racing.

The Doghouse Gang

• mjsh, Pablo and Pete L. like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:58 PM

Fellas,

Great, we're trying to revive the Jail Door cars here in Jersey as well. We just had a GP and a Sports car race a couple of weeks back. Interesting that you guys all seem to be using the old original rule motors, we have a good number in our group as well.

Hope you guys have another one soon, we're planning one as well...

• SlowBeas likes this
Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#3 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

Peter,

Good to see others still running Jail Doors as they should be. They might not be as fast as flexis and other retros, but they're a blast. The competition is always good at The Doghouse. I wish we could race more often.

Looking forward to your race report soon.

jb

• Pablo and Pete L. like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

Electric Dreams Online Shop