• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:47 PM

Well it has been awhile,but I have S L O W L Y been building on a few cars.I have been noodling on a few production cars that I love so dearly,plus  I have my scratch built drag car chassis and body about 3/4 the way done .(Been busy in other areas of life) Since we are getting into springtime,I will only be working on these during the "crappy weather days " only now. :/ TOO much goin on in the nice weather days outside.....

But enough about all of that.Onto the subject matters at hand.

I am still parts gathering for my next scratch built car. It will be a "thingie" build with an inline motor. I am wanting to install a really cool looking,sort of "trick" motor in it of the 16D size and variety.I am wanting to do something of what would have been mostly period correct for one of these. (If that EVER was any sort of motor requirement for a thingie motor??? :unknw:) I have recently aquired a Champion and a Mura with orange picker end bells with the bullet proofing on them. only down fall is both of the cans are notched fore a side winder set up. All ready messaged with Mr. Havlcek about sending these out and looking them over to see if they are rebuildable.Would like to maybe get a new Champion can if only just for looks.

Besides getting the rebuild,arm rewind, magnets zapped ,ECT, what else would have been done to an inline thingie motor?? Would they have ever had the buss bars added to them,shunted brushes,heat sinks, or even a com cooler added to the  end of the armature,or was all of this just pro chassis,side winder stuff to be doing????? Would I use any of that??  Reason I am asking is it seems like I ONLY see these things on motors built for the sidewinder pro stuff.(Remeber,I wasnt even around yet ,when you veterans were racing these cars back in the 60s :laugh2: I dont know much about these items..... 

(I posted this in the Pro Racing Cars section for visibility,but can move this to the thingie section if need be??)

IMG_3494.JPG

Motor.jpg

motor #2.jpg

• Jencar17, John Gorski and Maximo like this

Michael J. Boruff

#2 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:48 PM

Hey Mike, you need earlier motors for a period correct Thingy IMO.

1968 was there hey day, the motors you show are later.

Dyna rewinds were a popular choice, but I am sure H can hot rod a stock 16D or a 26D for you.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• olescratch likes this
Martin Windmill

#3 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:02 AM

I DO already have a fairly hot 26D Mr. H. has already built for me in my stash,but would rather have a 16 style motor I am thinking?? Any photos of a Dyna rewind?

Considering any and all suggestions here.

Michael J. Boruff

#4 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

There is this.

http://lascm.com/Slo...roducts_id=6407

Martin Windmill

#5 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

There are a bunch of original Bay Area thingies in this thread Mike:

Dave Lenz Thingies

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#6 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

That's a great thread for reference, I just skipped through it as a refresher. Ug-o, Lenz, Mura, oh boy. :good:  

Martin Windmill

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 14,707 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

Mike, I applaud your build, but this thread really belongs in the "Thingies" forum, not "Pro Racing".

Cheater can do that for you.

• olescratch likes this
Paul Wolcott

#8 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

Ok, thread moved to thingies as to NOT offend any PRO CAR builders on this site.....   :D

But still no answers on use of heat sinks,buss bar,com coolers,ECT on a thingie motor ??? When did these items come into use on slot cars???? Was it years AFTER the thingie car craze ??? Never seen them but on an angle  winder pro car ONLY??? Were they not needed on a thingie? :unknw:

Michael J. Boruff

#9 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

I'm no "thingie historian" but didn't they fade away with the rise of the angle winders? :unknw:  

As for buss bars, elephant ear heat sinks, comm coolers and the like, they were well into the angle winder era with with the B and C can motors.

Rick Thigpen

#10 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

BTW,Rick ,I have been really combing the thingie link you posted. GREAT stuff. Not seeing any of those with the extra parts mentioned either. 

However,I AM quite abit "motor illiterate" at this point. outside of a 16,26,36 D Maubuchi,I am lost. (PRODUCTION  car builder here so far Rick with a modern drag car 3/4 way done... :/ )   

Were any of those thingies on the link you sent using more modern   B or C can motors? 

Michael J. Boruff

#11 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 14,707 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for finally moving this thread where it belongs, in "Thingies". Now the answer is real simple. There are no rules in "Thingies". Never were, and there never will be. No restrictions.

Any motor, any mods, any wheels, any chassis design. In the "Thingie" forum, anything goes.

That's the beauty of the Thingie :clapping:  :sun_bespectacled:  

• Maximo and olescratch like this
Paul Wolcott

#12 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

..........Were any of those thingies on the link you sent using more modern   B or C can motors?

No Mike. The thingies that made the period magazines that I have seen are not B or C can motors. Of course you can build one any way your imagination leads you or you can build a car like it was done in the period.

Rick Thigpen

#13 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:19 PM

I am really just wanting to build this one that LOOKS period correct,BUT also fits within a parameter that will allow it to enter a proxy race.(hint,hint :) )  But I know rules could vary on those I am guessing also?

I do not have to get every peiod correct part here. My motor bracket is modern,but a copy. The rear tires,wheels will be modern,but look vintage.Repop body,vintage copy.complete brass rod chassis. I want it to look cool,but it will also be a runner,not a "shelf queen". :)

It is coming together in my head,just keep in mind,I NEVER raced,or built any of these vintage cars EVER in my life,but am confident I can build this 'thingie"  ;) 

• olescratch likes this

Michael J. Boruff

#14 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

Mike this is a good post that I think will help understand the modern motor evolution.

http://slotblog.net/...-the-16d-motor/

Martin Windmill

Electric Dreams Online Shop