Photo

Bulletproofing your entire slot car body?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

Ever purchase a nicely painted body and then have someone take you out on the first lap causing a crack over your wheel well or worse?  You know it's happened to all of us.  Any way, I purchased a spray can of flex seal clear for a project around the house  and had some left to play with.  As the ad says:

• It’s an easy-to-use, portable, aerosol spray
  • Sprays out as a liquid and dries as a strong, rubberized coating
  • Stays flexible and pliable

I took a used retro F1 body with pre-existing cracks , masked off the top of the body and sprayed a couple of light coats to the interior.    I let the body sit overnight to dry.  The body interior surface has a smooth feel to it.  I then bent the body in several directions without creating any new cracks or expanding the cracks that already existed.  In fact, the spray seal seem to strengthen the area where the cracks were already there.

The big question:  Did I try it out in a crash yet and how did the body fare?  No, since flex seal won't help you from bending up a chassis in a violent crash.  :laugh2:

• Mark Wampler, Ricky Vegas and Tim Wood like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

How much did it add to the weight of the body?

And how much did it effect the flexibility of it? 

• S.O. Watt and Danny Zona like this
Eddie Fleming

#3 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

How much did it add to the weight of the body?

And how much did it effect the flexibility of it? 

Unfortunately I did not weigh the body beforehand but any weight gain is miniscule at best.  The body is flexible, not stiff and seems likely to handle a hard crash better than a .10 lexan body without the flex seal spray applied.  If I'm found to be mistaken, I will post here again, or I'm sure someone will let me know  :diablo:

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#4 mreibman

mreibman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

So this is intriguing. With the decline of availability of Parma/Champion rental bodies, we could probably take the .015/.020 bodies that are out there, and spray them with flexseal, tooldip, plastidip, whatever... and make them sturdy enough to manage.

I don't have any flexseal, but I have a can of black tool dip. And I have plenty of pretty gnarly bodies to give it a try on.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding womp.
More powerful than a 36D

#5 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:15 PM

So this is intriguing. With the decline of availability of Parma/Champion rental bodies, we could probably take the .015/.020 bodies that are out there, and spray them with flexseal, tooldip, plastidip, whatever... and make them sturdy enough to manage.

I don't have any flexseal, but I have a can of black tool dip. And I have plenty of pretty gnarly bodies to give it a try on.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Amazon sells mini flex seal spray cans now.  The shipping will coat you as much as the product but it's still reasonable for those who want to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.c...way&sr=8-2&th=1

#6 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

I can't imagine adding this weight to the top of a slot car will help you with handling!  When we can tell the difference in handling from .010 bodies to .007 bodies--putting this on sure can't help.  But--to each his own--if you don't care about that and simply want to save on buying bodies--go for it!  :)

• brnursebmt and team burrito like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#7 orangecrate

orangecrate

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

I have for years repair my slot car bodies with automotive silicone sealant, and using tape and in some cases staples some of these bodies I have for over 30 years. I also buy used bodies at the raceway I go to and once they are repaired to me almost good as new. 

David Schneider
Nothing like slot cars

#8 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

For body repair I was introduced to Shoe Goo and I have to say, it really works well.  Goes on like "goo", dries to be very light, strong and extremely flexible.  Highly recommended, though, YMMV !

Mark Bauer

#9 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

I've used Shoe Goo on body cracks.  If you want a thin coat protection without weighing down or gumming up your body (especially if you are concerned about adding weight on the fast King tracks), flex seal is the way to go.  I brought this idea to everyone's attention as a way of bulletproofing your slot car bodies before you get your first crack. Once tested and if it works, I plan to start using flex seal on the interior of all my bodies before I run my first lap.  A WORD OF WARNING - IT HAS  STRONG FUMES WHEN USING SO I WOULD WEAR A MASK.

#10 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:35 PM

Dale at BPR turned me on to 5second Fix it is a Glue and an ultra/violet light it works an quick like it says 5 seconds 

can get on Ebay for cheap or some of the stores around for 6-8 bucks 

jason

#11 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

Dale at BPR turned me on to 5second Fix it is a Glue and an ultra/violet light it works an quick like it says 5 seconds 

can get on Ebay for cheap or some of the stores around for 6-8 bucks 

jason

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-5

#12 team burrito

team burrito

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

actually, this is a dumb idea. you're killing the handling characteristics of the body. it's suppose to be lightweight with side flex; that's where the handling comes from. if the body gets trashed, it's time to throw it out. don't get attach to it, everything dies.

• Tim Neja likes this
Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#13 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

Ever purchase a nicely painted body and then have someone take you out on the first lap causing a crack over your wheel well or worse?  You know it's happened to all of us.  Any way, I purchased a spray can of flex seal clear for a project around the house  and had some left to play with.  As the ad says:

• It’s an easy-to-use, portable, aerosol spray
  • Sprays out as a liquid and dries as a strong, rubberized coating
  • Stays flexible and pliable

I took a used retro F1 body with pre-existing cracks , masked off the top of the body and sprayed a couple of light coats to the interior.    I let the body sit overnight to dry.  The body interior surface has a smooth feel to it.  I then bent the body in several directions without creating any new cracks or expanding the cracks that already existed.  In fact, the spray seal seem to strengthen the area where the cracks were already there.

The big question:  Did I try it out in a crash yet and how did the body fare?  No, since flex seal won't help you from bending up a chassis in a violent crash.  :laugh2:

I got a can of that Flex-Seal at W/Mart.  I can see masking a spray conservative amount in specific areas such as the front leading edge of your body and around mounting tube areas.  I'll give it a whirl.  Good idea Tim. :good:

:good:

• Half Fast, Samiam and Tim Wilkins like this
You can quote me.

-Mark

Electric Dreams Online Shop