16 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:34 AM

It seems that I'm always using very small scissors for clipping, nipping, trimming-type stuff.  Many aren't "all that", especially when cutting right at the tip, and in particular cutting kevlar thread impregnated with epoxy or not is dicey, ESPECIALLY right near the com.  Then too, I have a hard time fitting my fingers in the loops of many/most/all I have found that work OK.  I've been eyeballing these for a while and got a pair at the lumber yard the other day for like $12 or so, and they really work very well.  On top of actual cutting function, no undersized finger loops (yippee!) with small handles instead.  If you cut a bunch of small stuff, they might be just the ticket for you as well.  They're made by Fiskars and are called "micro tip" scissors or something like that, and there's even a "titanium" version, but I just got the regular ones.

41huYaGCw3L.jpg

• Jairus, Tim Neja, Jaeger Team and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#2 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:23 AM

I've been using the standard version of 5" Fiskars micro-tip scissors for several years and recently decided to replace them b/c they don't cut quite as well as they used to. 

I, for one, would be interested in hearing any comments from anyone who has used this spring-loaded version of the scissors in regard to trimming bodies, cutting out wheel wells, etc.  

The titanium version is available from Walmart for $11.46.

• havlicek likes this

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:34 AM

I should add that there are some pricey German made "grooming" and other type scissors out there that I would hope would be even better considering the cost.  I've also used "beading scissors", but not the most expensive ones.  Some of those are OK, but I have the problem with the size of the finger holes.

John Havlicek

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

I've been using the standard version of 5" Fiskars micro-tip scissors for several years and recently decided to replace them b/c they don't cut quite as well as they used to. 

I would think they could be sharpened to bring them "back to life" Dale.

John Havlicek

#5 mreibman

mreibman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

I probably have 8-10 different pairs of scissors on my bench.

The largest are old shears that were my grandmother's when she had a drapery business.

Bear in mind that scissors are designed to cut different things. A friend who was a haircutter always insisted that her scissors for cutting hair would never be used on paper.

That being said, I have a pair of Metzenbaum scissors that are probably 45-50 years old, still sharp as anything, and hold their edge. I can cut mylar/lexan with them easily. They are straight. They do come in curved varieties. As for the finger holes, I was once shown how to hold these using your ring finger and thumb, rather than your index finger. You can get a pair (meaning 1 curved and 1 striaght) of metzenbaum scissors for maybe $15 or so... or spend a little more to get better quality.

For curves, I have curved lexan scissors, and just recently found a sewing scissors that is even smaller.  Both work great for bodies.

for heavier duty, I have craft scissors. they have big loops designed for multiple fingers, and short blades - giving you more leverage. One pair is in my race box, and 2 other pairs on my bench (2 different blades).

For longer straight cuts, I have some stainless steel scissors that cost me about $1.

Basically what I'm saying is this:

- you need more than one pair of scissors because what you cut and how you cut it matters

- finger loop size varies. You will want to use what is comfortable for  you. (I wear size XL gloves, BTW).

Really think about what and how you're cutting. Sometimes a scissors is a perfect tool for the job, but sometimes you're better served with shears, snips, cutters, or the ever popular knife.

my $.02

• triggerman, Half Fast, Tim Neja and 3 others like this
Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer.
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding Womp.
More powerful than a 36D.

#6 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

I would think they could be sharpened to bring them "back to life" Dale.

And Fiskars sells sharpeners that are meant for their scissors. I have a cheap manual thingy that refreshes my Fiskars scissors after cutting a lot of braid.

• havlicek likes this
Pekka Sippola

#7 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:18 AM

Curved ladies small manicure scissors are also good for fine trimming of bodies.

Cheers

• S.O. Watt and team burrito like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:41 AM

And Fiskars sells sharpeners that are meant for their scissors. I have a cheap manual thingy that refreshes my Fiskars scissors after cutting a lot of braid.

Thanks Pekka!

Basically what I'm saying is this:

- you need more than one pair of scissors because what you cut and how you cut it matters

- finger loop size varies. You will want to use what is comfortable for  you. (I wear size XL gloves, BTW).

For sure Mike.  I have a bunch of different ones myself, but the small "precision" type have been a PITA for me anyway.  :)

Bear in mind that scissors are designed to cut different things. A friend who was a haircutter always insisted that her scissors for cutting hair would never be used on paper.

That's actually a good rule to follow for any scissors meant to cut things besides paper.  Paper in general is fairly tough on steel blades of all kinds, and that becomes especially noticeable when trying to cut other materials.

John Havlicek

#9 mjsh

mjsh

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

ICE  tempered stainless  6 1/2 inch long with offset finger holes are the best I've found.

Michael Shepard

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

ICE  tempered stainless  6 1/2 inch long with offset finger holes are the best I've found.

Any particular brand?  Model number?

John Havlicek

#11 mjsh

mjsh

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

www.precisionproducts.us    

Scissors   -C312  - 5 1/2 German Pattern

Lots of great stuff---cheap!

• havlicek and mreibman like this
Michael Shepard

#12 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:57 AM

Neat...the prices are cheap alright!

John Havlicek

#13 mickey thumbs

mickey thumbs

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:46 PM

The Metzembaum scissors that Mike mentions are surgical scissors designed for tip cutting. Usually thumb and 4th finger go in loops with long finger on the front of the loop and the index finger on the blades guiding the tip. As they are used in medical procedures I’m sure they are expensive but as Mike says long-lived
  • mreibman likes this
Mike Vernon

#14 mreibman

mreibman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Good metzenbaum scissors are 8th from left. 7th from left are kelly scissors - not as good.

Grandma's shears are 10th from left.

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 were all $1 ea.

Although I just got #1 last week, it supposedly has titanium blades. Probably just coated.

Attached Images

• 20190407_105540.jpg

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer.
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding Womp.
More powerful than a 36D.

#15 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

Yep, that's what we used when cutting shark, rats etc and finally dead human bodies when studying anatomy. The blunt blade doesn't damage tissues. :diablo:

Pekka Sippola

#16 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:16 PM

I have a nice pair of Kelly scissors made in Pakistan. I bought them from the Brookstone Corp. ffor beard trimming 20-25 yrs. ago. It's a good thing the blades are engraved. :laugh2:  :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#17 ThunderThumb

ThunderThumb

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the good info on scissors

Earl Anderson

Electric Dreams Online Shop