• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

Our next Vintage Race will be Thursday April 18 at: The Race Place, 1151 Rt 33, Farmingdale, NJ 07727  732-938-5215. Raceway opens at 6pm, closes at 10pm. $5 race fee, track open for practice until racing starts. first race at 7pm on The Red Lightning track. 

Currently we are racing production chassis inline 36D powered cars from the mid 1960's. Our second class has been the American Line 36D powered kit cars with Sportsman or hot rod bodies as sold by REH Distributors. If anyone is looking for a kit you can get them from one of our racers Dom Roselli from Dom's Raceway in Cream Ridge, NJ, which is our other raceway location.

Our schedule right now is: the 3rd Thursdays at The Race Place, and the third Saturdays at Dom's Raceway, alternating months. As more racers become involved, we will move around to other raceways.

We are close to adding 2 more classes:

- jail door: any vintage or new jail door chassis with Falcon, TSRF, Mini Brute motors (**note- this is not a Retro Jail Door race. Those will be raced quarterly at The Race Place and at Dom's Raceway and will be announced on the Retro forum)

- anglewinder chassis- any vintage production or scratch built chassis, motors to be announced. And this may become 2 classes: 36D powered and new small can motors.

Many of our racers already have these cars ready to race, or nearly ready, so if you plan to attend and have cars in the above 2 classes, please bring them.  

And more classes being discussed and will be raced in the future:

- the Classis Classique: any Classic car

- Thingies: any and all Thingies, production or scratch builds

- AMT Hardbody: original or re-issue AMT brass chassis, street/stock car model kit or promo AMT body, 36D motor.

I just tested one  that I am nearly finished building with a re-issue chassis, AMT motor, re-issue AMT Mercury Marauder body and it performed well. I tested it with silicone coated foam rears and next will switch to Pro Track foam rears to see which is better. I find that many of my vintage cars actually handle well with soft silicone rears, either vintage Candies or new coated Pro Tracks.   

As we are discussing these and more classes from the past, the old cars are making their way back in the pit boxes and to the tracks, getting dusted off, oiled and new rear tires mounted for track testing. Bring along any vintage era cars that you may be interested in racing and when we get enough cars we will add them to our schedule.

Thanks to all who have attended our first 2 races of this season.  If any other raceways wish to be part of our Vintage Racing series please send me a pm to discuss it. There is also the C.A.R.S. Vintage slot car club that meets on the first Thursday night of every month at The Race Place for all things related to all scales and eras of vintage slot cars: collecting, restoring, track laps, discussing, etc. Find more information in the club forum.

See you at our upcoming races  :)

• Pete L. and Peter Horvath like this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

I'll be there for sure...

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#3 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Pete, i am sure Dom and Jimmy, Rodney, Mikey, Jack and Eddie will be there as well. An old racing friend Luis plans to check out what we are racing and join in for the fun. A few others may be there too. 

• Pete L. likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#4 sizzlerdom

sizzlerdom

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

Yep me and Jimmy will be there !

• Pete L. likes this
Dominick Roselli
Dom's Raceway

#5 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

Working on my Vintage class 36D powered cars. The hardbody car is a reissue AMT 1964 Mercury Marauder model kit, Tamiya paint, reissue AMT brass chassis, original AMT 36D motor. This car was track tested and performed ok, but needed a bit more work to be race ready. Windshield added, rear red tailight lens added, silver paint pen used to paint the front and rear window trims, and all emblems, door handles; switched to ProTrack foam rubber rears, different crown gear. The rear oilites that came with the chassis kit were a loose fit, so found a different style pair in my parts box which fit tighter then soldered them in place, as well as a bit of solder to the chassis halves. Hopefully it is ready to race.

IMG_1327 (2).JPG

IMG_1328 (2).JPG

IMG_1329 (2).JPG

IMG_1330 (2).JPG

IMG_1331 (2).JPG

The yellow Porsche is on a Rannalli chassis, body may be Russkit? I raced this car at our last Vintage Race at Dom's Raceway, and man was it noisy! Turned out to be two issues- the factory black nylon press fit rear axle bushings were worn and the axle was loose and the Cox crown gear was warped, so- I tried to replace the nylon axle bushings with oilites, I tried every different type and size that I had, but none fit. So what to do? I opened the bushing holes with a round file to fit oilites. Also replaced the Cox warped crown gear with a new Parma, so back to the track to see if this car is race ready, and to see if all of these changes work correctly.  

• Pete L. and Peter Horvath like this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#6 sizzlerdom

sizzlerdom

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

Hey Glen where did you get the shinny back tires on the green car, do you have a part number for them. They look silicone coated ?

Dominick Roselli
Dom's Raceway

#7 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

Hey Glen where did you get the shinny back tires on the green car, do you have a part number for them. They look silicone coated ?

Hi Dom, yes the silicone coated at ProTrack #PT424, or if you want with white lettering then try ProTrack #PT426, both are for 1/8" axle. ProTrack also sells either for threaded axles as well. 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#8 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

and yes, still working on more vintage class cars. Next up is a Riggen powered by a Cox 36D. This old beater had been sitting around for over 10 years and time to get it ready to race, as this car represents our 36D powered anglewinder class. Replaced the dried up rear tires, soldered in the loose fitting rear oilites, adjusted the guide flag height, straigtened the slightly bent chassis,  cleaned crusty axles, adjusted front and rear widths, and soldered in brass body pins tubes vs the old Riggen screw on body method. Using an old body for now. So for this class: any 1970 era anglewinder chassis, 36D motor will do.

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

I worked at Modelville Hobby during the winter of 1972-73. We sold these RTR Riggen 36D anglewinders for $8.95. Parents would often argue with me that something that cheap couldn't possibly be any good. After they ran one on our Windsor, I really rubbed it in as how good they were. :laugh2:  :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#10 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Hi Bill, thanks for that historical reply! Let's see if my Riggen still performs as good as they did back when new. I drool over all of the 1/32 and 1/24 Riggen cars when i thumb through old Auto World catalogs. The 1/32 scale Riggen cars had to have paved the way for the successful Parma Womp Womp line of cars.  

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#11 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:17 PM

I have a 26D version of that car. I bought it in probably 1970-71.  I  love that car! I was still winning races with it in 1977, although the motors were getting scarce.

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#12 sizzlerdom

sizzlerdom

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Looks great Glen,and thanks for the tire info !

Dominick Roselli
Dom's Raceway

#13 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

you are welcome Dom. looks like the Riggen anglewinder cars were popular back in their day. I have several, both inline and anglewinder, 26D and 36D motors. Seems as if the ones i bought were raced as they all have various rear tires from other manufacturers. Riggen must have sold a lot of them in the 1970s. 

as for our race Thursday night: we have 7 racers that i know of so far, so looks like another good night of 1960's vintage slot car racing. 

• Pete L. likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#14 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

race results:

1) Jimmy Roselli         176 laps    

2) Dom Roselli            166 laps  **fast lap time winner 7.515439 orange lane

3) Ed Paterson            165 laps

4) Jack Paterson         164 laps

5) Glenn Orban           164 laps

6) Rodney Ford           155 laps

7) Peter Linszky          150 laps

Seems like the father/son teams dominated this race. Rodney started with a newly built white Daytona Cobra, Dynamic chassis, but a gear failed and the chassis probably needs a bit more tuning and weight so Jack lent him a fast car to complete the race. Peter's American Line Sportsman suffered from old rears, so new rears for the next race. Or maybe Pete will race his Classic Viper next month? My Cheetah remains dependable after many years of racing. The Roselli's Viper and Lunar and the Paterson's Dynamic cars are very fast as usual and are hard to beat. And we had a guest visitor this month: my old BRM fellow racer Luis Esteves came by to check out what we are doing, and stayed to marshall in the hairpin- thanks Luis! Next race we hope to have him on the track with either a vintage car that he purchased many years ago or a loaner car.

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

the full field of cars and Jerry Herbert- race director and co-owner of The Race Place

IMG_1415.JPG

Luis marshalling the hairpain

IMG_1362.JPG

Dom's fast Garvic Lunar

IMG_1363.JPG

Peter's two racers

IMG_1365.JPG

a few of Rodney's cars

IMG_1356.JPG

a few of my cars 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#15 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:00 PM

IMG_1429.JPG

and the podium four: l to r: Dom, Jimmy, Eddie and Jack 

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

and some more of my cars

• Pete L. likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#16 sizzlerdom

sizzlerdom

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Glen great race report ,thanks for your time to this and the lots of pictures too !

Dominick Roselli
Dom's Raceway

#17 Lou E

Lou E

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

Had a great meeting everyone and watching the racing the other night.

The cars are different than what I am used to, and there is a lot I need to learn, but I am really looking forward to the next race.
Lou Esteves

#18 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:45 PM

Great looking hard body cars Glenn!

Rich Vecchio

#19 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

and thanks to all for your comments. Lou- bring a controller and your vintage car parts, bodies, etc to the next Vintage club meeting (1st Thursday in May) and we can help you get onto the track.

Rich- yes i do enjoy all types of Hardbody cars: BRM, Scaleauto, model kit bodies and H&R Racing chassis, and now i will build more AMT repro cars as well. And i watch your race and car build posts as well, if i was in Oregon i would be racing with you and your club. Hoping to bring back Hardbody racing to our current group of racers at The Race Place and Dom's Raceway here in New Jersey. 

Dom- yes i finally figured out how to better post pictures here on the blog so i will do all of our race reports. Looking forward to our next race at your raceway. 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

Electric Dreams Online Shop