• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

It's been 5 weeks since our last meet and I haven't even been near a track since then. I'm going to make the trek to Motown hopefully for an overnighter and see how things go. The Vertigo thing has improved slightly but is still an issue so I don't know how I'll fare trying to drive a slot car. At this point it's manageable for everyday life but still an issue when I sit for a spell then get up too quickly. Bending over to tie my shoe and then standing up usually produces a stagger or two. Sometimes, I get a dizzy spell just walking around but at least it's better than it has been.

Race day: Sunday May 28. (a week later than normal due to this Sunday being Easter) Doors open at 9, 3 race day starting at 11.

1. Can Am 11:00 on the Hillclimb
  2. Stock Cars following on the Hillclimb
  3. F-1 last on the Korkscrew

Future things to discuss:

• Next race at FTH is a short turnaround and the Purple Angel is not up and running as of today.
  • We'll decide next Sunday whether to run the Angel or fall back on the Kingleman again.

• New subject: I'm going to re-evaluate our Can Am body rules over the near future. There will be much more on this as I progress
  1. We have resisted the high downforce bodies in use in most other areas with the idea of keeping some diversity in the body program.
  2. This is in no small part b/c I try to follow the lead of the So-Cal group which also shares similar goals.
  3. That will continue to be a goal but I want to see if a few other bodies can be adapted to fit our program without flipping it on it's head.
  4. I hope to provide some insurance against potential availability concerns of the currently viable options.
  5. However, I see no point in turning a class which is trending toward "one body" into a different "one body" class.
  6. Due to possible availability concerns, I think it would be wise to avoid placing all our eggs in one basket.
  7. So.....I'll be testing a couple of JK TI-22 bodies and possibly a Parma to see if I can adapt them  to our needs.
  8. These are clearly enhanced aero bodies but with a short spoiler (or perhaps no spoiler) possibly, we can keep our current choices viable while adopting some nicely done and available bodies.
  9. At the same time, I'll be re-evaluating our current Parma Lola T163 and Edge TI-22 to see if they are still relatively equal.
  10. I'd also like to include some of the classics like the Lola T160 and Ferarri 312-612 if I can manipulate the mix through spoiler height.

I have about three more weeks of work and then will have time to start this process. I've been pretty limited in bench time due to work and also the Vertigo which prevents me from hunching over the bench for more than a few minutes. We'll see how this shakes out as time goes on.

• Tex, A. J. Hoyt, Matt Sheldon and 2 others like this
Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop