2 replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

Seven regulars showed up to race ProTrack and Vintage NASCAR at STR on 4/29/19. Wait, some of us thought we were racing Sports Car and Trans-Am. For those who brought the wrong cars (Rich, James and Nick), the answer is simple; dont believe what you hear, instead, read the written rotation sequence! Anyway, this made the race interesting. There were loaner cars, loaner bodies and resistors (for OSCAR based rides running in the ProTrack class).

ProTrack

Mark was kind enough to lend Rich his black Pontiac for the ProTrack Race. The car was well prepared and it was quick. James opted to run his OSCAR based Sports Car and Nick ran is OSCAR based NASCAR. Both cars were handicapped by using a resistor on the power side of the controller.

Rich drove a conservative race with a very quick ProTrack and managed a win with 82.1 laps. The battle for second place was between Joe, James, Bob and Mark. The finish was very close with three of the four competitors posting identical lap counts. In the end it was Joe, James, Bob and Mark for second through fifth respectively.

P_Results.jpg

P_Field.jpg

Vintage NASCAR

Mark loaned Rich his yellow 50 Olds. James ran a loaner 56 Chevy body on his narrow NASCAR chassis. Nick ran a loaner 57 Chevy body on his narrow NASCAR chassis.

On this occasion, Bobs 50 Olds was the class of the field, turning a blistering 5.035 second fast lap. Bob won easily posting 89.2 laps. Again, the race for the remaining places on the podium was very close. Rich, James and Mark all finished with identical lap counts. Rich was second with 85.7 laps. James was third only two sections behind Rich and Mark was third only three sections behind James.

A few observations are in order. The 56/57 Chevy bodies used to be the body of choice until the 50 Olds model became readily available. The Olds body is not as top heavy as the Chevys and now dominates the field. This put James and Nick at a disadvantage to the others. Joe installed a ProSlot 16d motor as a replacement to a Deathstar. The ProSlot motors are more powerful but a bit harder to drive. Although Joe managed to turn a very quick 5.057 lap, consistency was a problem. I do not expect this problem to last. Simply put, the ProSlot is the power plant of choice for most of the field and it takes a few races to get used to the new found power. Watch out guys!

VN_Results.jpg

VN_Field.jpg

• A. J. Hoyt likes this

Rich Vecchio

#2 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

great looking field of cars! wish i was there. will have to try out a 1950 Oldsmobile body one one of my hardbody builds. 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#3 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

great looking field of cars! wish i was there. will have to try out a 1950 Oldsmobile body one one of my hardbody builds.

Glenn,
The 50 olds is the best body for our Vintage NASCAR class. You will have to hog out the rear wheel wells if you intent to use 1" ProTrack tires. Let me know how it works out for your class.

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop